How to register as an importer in South Africa

Jamie McKane

MyBroadband Journalist
Staff member
Super Moderator
How to register as an importer in South Africa

SARS has reportedly taken a stricter approach to clauses in the Customs and Excise Act relating to personal imports in 2018.

While the regulations have been in place since 2013, SARS is now enforcing the maximum number of imported products for individuals living in South Africa.

Napalm2880

Expert Member
How accurate is this article. I was under the impression that you could apply as an importer in your personal capacity?

JagHasie

I also completely disagree that you need to register a company. The completion manual for AD 185 (on sars website) and the form itself repeatedly refers to terms referring to persons applying in the personal capacity. e.g. Natural Persons and Sole Proprietor/Individual, Particulasrs of Sole Proprietor/Individual .... etc.

I think mybroadbands opinion that you have to be a company is based on the website that gives a list of documents that include company registration details. However the form itself lists these under "Original or certified copies of the following documents (whichever is relevant):"

Just as a company will not be required to submit a municipal account to prove their address (that is what the registration documents are for) an individual should not be required to provide a bunch of company documents.

This is sloppy reporting and the reporter either did not apply his mind, or knows nothing about tax/customs and company legislation. The entire thread of articles published by mybroadband is based on what a couple of webpages say without actually checking the applicable form or procedures, asking SARS or an expert .

Swa

Honorary Master
You can register in your capacity as a sole proprietor. You don't need to register a company to be a sole proprietor as that and requiring that you register a business would be a violation of your constitutional rights. Why didn't mbb contact SARS for accurate information.

McT

The Humble Scot!
Sounds like a schlepp. I'd rather keep my purchases down to 3 a year and shop with that in mind.

McT

The Humble Scot!
You can register in your capacity as a sole proprietor. You don't need to register a company to be a sole proprietor as that and requiring that you register a business would be a violation of your constitutional rights. Why didn't mbb contact SARS for accurate information.

For once I agree that Jamie may have under cooked this one. A good investigative interview with SARS [any other than a Moyane acolyte] would have been the better foundation for this important article.

Juice

Expert Member
lol errrr you don’t need to register a company
Yeah, that didn't make any sense. It effectively means you can't import goods in your personal capacity. Registering a company isn't just about a CIPC application and some fees. It's also about provisional tax and annual audited statements... Just to import stuff in your *personal* capacity??

Jings

Treasure Maker
Enquired with SARS last week already. Individuals must register too if more than 3 parcels per year, not only companies.

Swa

Honorary Master
Yeah, that didn't make any sense. It effectively means you can't import goods in your personal capacity. Registering a company isn't just about a CIPC application and some fees. It's also about provisional tax and annual audited statements... Just to import stuff in your *personal* capacity??
Well technically you can register a shelf company. It's just the name and doesn't do business so there's no tax reports or accounting but it isn't necessary in any case if you deal with the correct people at SARS.

I do think SARS should now have a better process if they expect individuals to register.

FlashSA

Executive Member
Sounds like a schlepp. I'd rather keep my purchases down to 3 a year and shop with that in mind.
SO has an ID number, as does dad, mom, kids, uncle, employees etc etc. Far easier than this registering nonsense.

SARS get their same import duties no matter who is bringing the goods in. I can't see how being a registered importer, as opposed to casual importer, makes any difference to the fiscus

Reactions: McT

Swa

Honorary Master
SO has an ID number, as does dad, mom, kids, uncle employees etc etc. Far easier than this registering nonsense.

SARS get their same import duties no matter who ia bringing the goods in. I can't see how beong a registered importer, as opposed to casual importer, makes any difference to the fiscus
As I previously said it's for bribes. DHL just pays them an extra fee to let it go through.

Bazman

This is really bad reporting, one does not need to register a business, you can register as a private individual and it's easy, got my importer's code the same day I applied. Just make sure you have all the docs with you.

Can the author of this article please explain what research they did on this, or did they just accept the word of one of a digital importers.

semaphore

Honorary Master
As I previously said it's for bribes. DHL just pays them an extra fee to let it go through.
You love to just pull bullshit out of your arse don't you. Where is your proof that there is bribes involved?

semaphore

Honorary Master
How accurate is this article. I was under the impression that you could apply as an importer in your personal capacity?
What did you expect a MyBB staff writer to actually do proper research instead of just regurgitating what they found on some other site?

Swa

Honorary Master
You love to just pull bullshit out of your arse don't you. Where is your proof that there is bribes involved?
Where's the proof there aren't? This is SA, bribes are the norm instead of the exception. If you believe otherwise you are delusional. Why is it impossible for DHL to accurately label what an extra charge is really for. Instead they try to cover it under one of their other charges that you already paid. That's a bribe no doubt.

kolakidd

you can register as a private individual and it's easy, got my importer's code the same day I applied. Just make sure you have all the docs with you.
I've been meaning to do this for a while, just wanted to check because the SARS call centre was pretty vague, actually directed me to the wrong form. I'm way over the three package limit.

What documents did you take and did you have to go to a customs office? In terms of the form is it the straight AD185, or the AD185.4A1