How to renew your car licence online: City of Cape Town

plod

I tried it a few months ago it works but waited a long time for the email with payment details that was the slowest part of the process

MickZA

Executive Member
... be nice for PE if the DA win the local elections and introduce this system - bad for Mark Barnes and his PO turnaround though.

ColinR

Expert Member
Cape Town had this for years and years already!? I've never renewed a licence in person.

SilverCode

I did it online at the end of last year, and it didn't feel very "online". It basically amounted to "send an email with all the required documentation, forms, ID book etc to this email address, and we will send you information about payment". I honestly think there is 0 automation on the back-end, and it is just a person who receives and email and then manually processes it. Took about 1.5 weeks from the initial email with all the documentation until they responded with payment details, then another 2 weeks until I received the license. There was no notification or acknowledgement that they had received payment and the license was on its way ... I just had to assume everything was on track.

Unless they improve the system and automate it a bit more and allow you to check the status of your renewal, I won't be doing it this way again. Rather spend 10 minutes at the licensing department and be sure I am going to walk out with a new license disc.

Pythonista

13 Your licence will be posted to the address you submitted, within a minimum of 14 days

Hmmm ... S A Post Office.

I don't think so ....

deweyzeph

Executive Member
It doesn't work. I submitted an online application over 2 weeks ago. Still waiting to hear back.... I eventually ended up going to the municipality myself because I couldn't wait any longer.

system32

Expert Member
Here's an idea...
CT should allow you to print the license directly.
When stopped, police can use a "scanner" (i.e. cell phone camera) to validate the license bar code/QR code.

deweyzeph

Executive Member
Here's an idea...
When stopped, police can use a "scanner" (i.e. cell phone camera) to validate the license bar code/QR code.
In the UK they've stopped issuing licence discs completely now. It's all done online, and the police can check immediately with the equipment in their cars whether your vehicle is licensed or not.

hj2k_x

Honorary Master
Here's an idea...
Seems simple enough to me.

Gekco

Expert Member
This: 11. You will receive an e-mail with a payment advice, reflecting the licence fee due, the City’s bank details and a nine-digit reference number within two working days

Absolute hogwash. I did all the necessary and submitted a renewal on the 17th of February. I am yet to receive the said email. I also since queried it via email with the licensing department and supplied them with my reference number. I received an automated reply that acknowledged receipt of the email and nothing else since.

What is the point of having these IT systems in place if the support is not there on the back end to handle it?

deweyzeph

Executive Member
This: 11. You will receive an e-mail with a payment advice, reflecting the licence fee due, the City’s bank details and a nine-digit reference number within two working days

Absolute hogwash. I did all the necessary and submitted a renewal on the 17th of February. I am yet to receive the said email. I also since queried it via email with the licensing department and supplied them with my reference number. I received an automated reply that acknowledged receipt of the email and nothing else since.

What is the point of having these IT systems in place if the support is not there on the back end to handle it?
That's exactly what happened to me when I tried to apply online. I went through the renewal process online and then nothing. No email, no follow up, nothing. Just radio silence. I've emailed them 5 times trying to follow up. Nothing, nada, zip. Just an automated canned response.

I can't believe Mybroadband would write an article about something that is so clearly broken. Do not use this service, you are wasting your time.

deweyzeph

Executive Member
The City of Cape Town is not as great as everyone would like to think. It took me 2 months to change the address for my rates account. They do not allow you to change your address over the phone through their call centre, so the only way you can change your address is to send them an email or actually physically write and post a letter to them.

So I write my first email to them requesting them to change my address. I immediately got a canned reply from them saying my email will be seen to in 7 working days. After 10 working days, I finally got an response back from a real person, saying that they have changed my address. I log into my rates account online, and would you believe it, they've changed my address, but the illiterate idiot who did it misspelled the name of my street AND my suburb. So now I have to send them another email requesting them to please change it again, and this time to please spell everything correctly. So I wait 7 days, 10 days, 15 days. Nothing. I write another email. I wait another 7 working days. Nothing. Eventually I start emailing them every day, day after day after day. Eventually after sending them an email every day for 15 days, I eventually get a response saying they have changed it. I logged in again to my rates account, and to my surprise they'd actually changed it and used the correct spelling this time.

So, if it's this hard to do a simple address change for your rates account, imagine the chaos going on in behind the scenes with this "online" renewal process.

genetic

Honorary Master
So, if it's this hard to do a simple address change for your rates account, imagine the chaos going on in behind the scenes with this "online" renewal process.
Uhmmm, the online renewals have been running for a few years already.

Sukkafool

Has anybody out there used this succesfully? I am keen to try it but all I see are negative responses on this thread which i suppose is a fair indicator that it does not work….but damn, I really dont want to have to go stand in never ending traffic dedpartment queues again...