How to resolve an issue with your ISP in South Africa

Hanno Labuschagne

MyBroadband
Staff member
Super Moderator
How to resolve an issue with your ISP in South Africa

The Internet Service Providers’ Association (ISPA) has said its recently-launched mediation process received an “overwhelmingly positive” response from consumers.

ISPA is the entity that oversees the conduct of the majority of ISPs in South Africa.

The Association ensures that its members abide by a Code of Conduct which emphasises the fair treatment of ISP customers and ensures that its members provide accurate information of its products and services.

Apogee

"To lodge a request for mediation at ISPA, you will first need to log a support ticket directly with your ISP."

My experience with most of the major ISPs in SA is that they just close the tickets without attending to it.

now05ster

Expert Member
"To lodge a request for mediation at ISPA, you will first need to log a support ticket directly with your ISP."

My experience with most of the major ISPs in SA is that they just close the tickets without attending to it.
Afrihost was fast to resolve mine. Surprisingly so.

But you might more examples of said behavior.

Darkjo

Hey Afrihost.
My website (underthemilkwood.co.za) was working fine until some bright spark (on your side) decided to do a server upgrade yesterday. It then obeyed the law of cockups. It did not work and lots of admin and frustration and contact with your support desk. Which by the way is bad. the day started well. The site worked.

Now it's a mess. Nothing works. Can't get in via the client zone or any other manner.

Today in the last few hours we have this kak

error establishing a database connection
HELP

Chris.Geerdts

Expert Member
I welcome the new mediation process and do trust that ISPA are seeking a fair outcome for both sides.

My frustration is that any day-to-day issue is difficult. I could have sworn that my ISP did some type of line reset every night after midnight for a period (which is really bad news if you are nearly completing a CS match) and a few minutes after you discover the issue, it is back on. Ticket queries on that are like 'let us know if it happens again'.

Other common issue is a slow line or a problem reaching a specific destination. Two days after you log the query, the result is 'line is reset - try again' o_O

RedViking

Nord of the South
Move. Fastest solution. That is if they don't keep your data locked up.

Chris.Geerdts

Expert Member
In my case, Home Connect had a really good deal on the 200Mbps up/down link and moving, easy as it sounds, would have meant sacrificing line speed.

Also, the local line provided takes a few days from cancelling one provider, to installing for another

It's sometimes easier to tolerate what you have and fight to improve, although I do miss the excellent customer service response Axxess and the reasonable responses from Vox.

ProfA

Honorary Master
An entire article for something which can be resolved with just a single word. "Leave".