How to save money and stop load-shedding

Bradley Prior

MyBroadband Journalist
Super Moderator
How to save money and stop load-shedding

The CSIR has detailed how South Africans can save money during load-shedding.

Speaking to media during a press briefing, the CSIR said energy tariff costs have increased by over 300% since 2008 due to load-shedding and continue to be an economic drain on the country.

fdaniels

If people do this then Eskom will complain that they are not making as much money as expected and will need to double the price that they charge customers.

richjdavies

Terrible design. Bad engineering (not thinking about price is bad engineering in my book, else you're just being a scientist!)

Trackers are expensive, not worth it. Then they go and install it with a cheap SMA inverter. Optimise the panels instead, rather than having long strings.

In short, too much focus in the cheap panels, not enough on the rest of the system.

At least they started with efficiency... Just sad the talk.about the same.old 'LED lights and geyser blanket'. Real savings are from switching things off / using less rather than being more efficient.

John Tempus

Expert Member
Hah did you see how quality braai wood prices went up in the same time span that we have had load shedding ?

Just using my own local shop it used to be R30 a bag just 2 years ago and now suddenly moved up to R70-R90 a bag of kameeldoring that is slightly smaller also.

Load shedding must have made so many random industries filthy rich extorting whatever they want, shrug.

McGuywer

Executive Member
What a terrible article.
We are in this mess because of corruption at Eskom. Now we need to use wood and coal while "changing your own behaviours".

F U ESKOM, changeyour own behaviours and appoint competent people.
Only criteria that needs to be met when applying for a job at Eskom is, can you do the work, do you have experience, do you have clean record.

Gaz{M}

Expert Member
We still do not have time of use tariffs. I have literally ZERO incentive to "shift my usage" or use timers, because I do not save one cent (in fact it costs me money to buy timers etc.).

Therefore I will use electricity whenever I want to.

If you offered me a peak and offpeak tariff, I would gladly time my geyser and other appliances to run when demand is low.

Such a simple thing to do, yet nobody has offered it yet.

The_MAC

Expert Member
We still do not have time of use tariffs. I have literally ZERO incentive to "shift my usage" or use timers, because I do not save one cent (in fact it costs me money to buy timers etc.).

Therefore I will use electricity whenever I want to.

If you offered me a peak and offpeak tariff, I would gladly time my geyser and other appliances to run when demand is low.

Such a simple thing to do, yet nobody has offered it yet.
Where do you stay?

We have Eskom smart meters installed and there is a peak and off-peak tariff that gets applied

The_MAC

Expert Member
I've cut down my power usage dramatically since 2008, yet I'm still paying more sigh.
100%

I now only have LED's, most of my appliances are A+, and I have timers on most high energy items (Geysers and Pool Pump), but I still pay more. Granted our household grew by 2, so that hasn't been a constant.

Lupus

Honorary Master
100%

I now only have LED's, most of my appliances are A+, and I have timers on most high energy items (Geysers and Pool Pump), but I still pay more. Granted our household grew by 2, so that hasn't been a constant.
Yeah I grew by one as well, but the amount of actual power used is still less :-(

TimTDP

Expert Member
Self-supplying

My electrician informs me that the Shity of Cape Town will charge me a huge "Availability" fee if I go off the grid. So it is not worth it.
Furthermore, should I want to sell surplus energy back into the grid, I need to install a very expensive smart meter, at my cost. And then they will charge me a monthly admin fee.

supersunbird

Honorary Master
The non payers don't care about energy saving and will run the stove as a heater and similar, after all, they do not pay. So they have a double impact.

Jaws677

What a load of crap article.

Can someone from the CSIR please explain to me how load shifitng will save a consumer any money when we are not on a time of use tarrif struture

Zophos

Self-supplying

My electrician informs me that the Shity of Cape Town will charge me a huge "Availability" fee if I go off the grid. So it is not worth it.
Furthermore, should I want to sell surplus energy back into the grid, I need to install a very expensive smart meter, at my cost. And then they will charge me a monthly admin fee.
Why would you want to pump surplus energy back into the grid in the first place? To help out ESKOM? They got themselves into this mess. they can suffer the consequences alone

Just get an off grid system, keep it separate from your mains (No connection)

And...this is the important bit...don't tell Shity of Cape Town... ;)

SilverNodashi

Expert Member
Self-supplying

Can you please shed some light on this. How much did they quote you? And why should you pay if it's off-grid? Surely if you're not connected to the grid at all, you shouldn't need to pay?

TimTDP

Expert Member
I was quoted in the region of R2000 per month
The Shity makes money out of reselling electricity. It, together with reselling water, is a major cash cow and they can't afford to loose this revenue stream

SilverNodashi

Expert Member
I was quoted in the region of R2000 per month
The Shity makes money out of reselling electricity. It, together with reselling water, is a major cash cow and they can't afford to loose this revenue stream
R2k/m to be off-grid? Wow, that sux!