How to save money on your smartphone contract by upgrading

Hamster

Resident Rodent
Suppose this article is aimed at those that absolutley must have the latest and greatest iPhones and other flagship phones.

saor

Honorary Master
The findings of the report show that consumers can save 18% on their cellphone bills after two years “by making sure they upgrade to the perfect cellphone contract for them”.
Well no ****.
But really I'd rather spend my time on other things than negotiation contracts and dealing with a service I'm basically stuck with for 24 months. Life is so much easier with pay-as-you-go.

krono9

Well just got the MTN Fri Yay deal, no issues for R269/month.. Well worth it.

falcon786

Executive Member
Prepaid FTW.
Or you can save 100% of contract fees by keeping your phone and move onto prepaid.
Not true,contracts are only dangerous in the hands of ignorant people,if you are actually smart contracts can work out much better.

Also no running out of airtime while in an emergency or while you're being robbed or when time is of importance and you need to make a call immediately.

Slootvreter

Honorary Master
Not true,contracts are only dangerous in the hands of ignorant people,if you are actually smart contracts can work out much better.

Also no running out of airtime while in an emergency or while you're being robbed or when time is of importance and you need to make a call immediately.
Correct. I've had the same number since 1999, and not a single problem with my contract.

McT

The Humble Scot!
Doesn't an upgrade mean that you are:

1. indefinitely locked into 24 month contracts
2. always incurring additional debt for the new handset

Where is the saving in that? At worst stay in a month-to-month for voice and whatnot and source your new handset elsewhere.

Maybe I missed the bit in the article that this was pointed at a specific audience. I just don't see the need for a contract. When my handset eventually must be replaced (and only because it has tragically demised), I tend to ensure it is a cash buy and subject to my available finance.

Slootvreter

Honorary Master
Doesn't an upgrade mean that you are:

1. indefinitely locked into 24 month contracts
2. always incurring additional debt for the new handset

Where is the saving in that? At worst stay in a month-to-month for voice and whatnot and source your new handset elsewhere.

Maybe I missed the bit in the article that this was pointed at a specific audience. I just don't see the need for a contract. When my handset eventually must be replaced (and only because it has tragically demised), I tend to ensure it is a cash buy and subject to my available finance.
My 24 months are over, I still have the phone which is paid for, so no, I'm not incurring debt for another handset. ;)

konfab

Honorary Master
LOL, until Vodacom sees all the shills defending their 2 year servitude plans and hike the price of their contracts.

Never happens as I top up when I go below R10 of airtime.

McT

The Humble Scot!
My 24 months are over, I still have the phone which is paid for, so no, I'm not incurring debt for another handset. ;)
Which is kinda what I said... only if the handset packs up should be necessary to buy another. Till then my current device is still perfect.

Hemi300c

Honorary Master
At EmptyN last time I wanted to downgrade my contract from My Choice 350 Top-up to the same but My Choice 200 Top-up they said I would have to pay in? I seldom us more than 30% of the 350.

Also this "simplification" by EmptyN hasn't occurred and probably won't.

falcon786

Executive Member
Never happens as I top up when I go below R10 of airtime.
Added admin,ain't nobody got time fo' dat!:erm:

But I'm currently only a Cell C Pinaccle 250 on a month to month basis for R299 per month I get 750 any network minutes/1000 any network minutes over wifi calling/750 sms's and 250mb of data plus I pay R7.5p/m for whatsapp.

I can't exactly get that value on prepaid.So if you are smart a contract is more convenient and can save you money.

I buy my phones cash on Gumtree.

beans100

Honorary Master
I have a R99 Free Me, sim only, top-up, month to month. Works for me, can stop it whenever.