How to sell your vehicle privately. A step-by-step guide.

airborne

Executive Member
Use the dealers feedback as a backup but have you asked the seller yet if they knew the aircon was broken?

Sa is so damn hot in the summer there is no avoiding not knowing the aircon is stuffed and it being broken is an inherent fault that the seller should have revealed.

But you get plenty skates that will sell things and not reveal the latent defects, from all walks of life, I've learnt never to assume anything.

Another avenue is to ask the service agent if there was any record of the aircon being bust, maybe Peugeot will have that in their service record.

ahoudet

Expert Member
There isn't CPA cover on cars bought privately. Try find a scrapped car and take the compressor from that

Rouxenator

Dank meme lord
Thanks for clearing that up, found similar answers when I googled a bit. Guess I'll just have to deal with it.

Edit : From http://www.bregmans.co.za/voetstoots-and-the-consumer-protection-act/

When the seller can’t rely on the voetstoots clause?

The common law does, however, allow you to cry foul and sue the seller (even if the contract contained a voetstoots clause) for cancellation of the contract or a reduction in the selling price where the goods were defective at the time of the sale, that the seller knew of the defect but failed to disclose it to the buyer, knowing full well that if the buyer knew about it he would either not have continued the purchase or would have negotiated a more favourable purchase price.
So my only option is to get the dealership to tell me they offered the seller R25k less than the normal trade-in price because of these defects. If I can get that info from them I can go back to the seller and work something out on the basis that he knew but did not disclose it to me.

Last edited:

ahoudet

Expert Member
Only issue I see with your reasoning is that most cars don't get traded in at trade value. With that in mind, a Peugeot that didn't sell well at all in SA is even less likely to have received anything close to Trade on a trade in.

Rouxenator

Dank meme lord
Good point. The value they gave me could well have been with the intention of me buying a new car from them. I know when we traded in my sister's i10 they offered less if you take cash instead of buying another car from them.

Aqua_lung

Honorary Master
If I can get that info from them I can go back to the seller and work something out on the basis that he knew but did not disclose it to me.
"If I was the seller I would basically not work out anything, you buy as is, deal concluded."

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
hi guys i need the very best advise i want to sell my car to someone that i know kind of and his boss he is fully employed but cant get financed and wants to pay me buy installments and wants the car after a R20000 dep and total cost of car is R85000
No, just no.

Sell it to someone else who can actually pay for it.

The biggest warning sign there is that he can't get finance. If a bank won't give him the money there is a very good reason for it and you shouldn't either.

Last edited:

airborne

Executive Member
"If I was the seller I would basically not work out anything, you buy as is, deal concluded."
That's what a skom does, if the previous owner knew the aircon was broken that is, too bad sorry for you, you've already paid too late now, tricked you.

But if the car was sold as having an aircon and the buyer knew it was broken but never mentioned it then I can only assume that's fraud, it's illegal to not disclose latent faults.

Rouxenator needs to prove that the seller knew but didn't disclose it. I've sold a car with a latent defect before, to prevent any complications I showed the buyer and stated the fault on the sale agreement, no comebacks possible when you do that.

Aqua_lung

Honorary Master
I bought a car privately and from the dealer, both times something revealed itself as broken weeks to months later, nothing you can do about it (dealer has a grace period to fix things, but my issue was intermittent and came back only months later), it's up to you to ensure it's all as advertised.

Rouxenator

Dank meme lord
I bought a car privately and from the dealer, both times something revealed itself as broken weeks to months later, nothing you can do about it (dealer has a grace period to fix things, but my issue was intermittent and came back only months later), it's up to you to ensure it's all as advertised.
Personally I've made peace with it, I got shafted but I can handle it. I will however let Gumtree know what transpired so it's their call if they will allow the seller to advertise again. That's pretty much the only thing I can do apart from the wet van Transvaal

Last edited:

Colin62

Executive Member
Personally I've made peace with it, I got shafted but I can handle it.
While that might not be best financially (it's debateable, you might get the money back, but it's going to cost you a lot upfront to do that), it is by far the best for your peace of mind.

schuits

Expert Member
Very informative thread.
Maybe someone can help me out with something.

I want to purchase a financed vehicle from a colleague, using my own finance. Technically the current owner doesn't own the vehicle, the bank does.

So how do I go about doing this?

Fazda

Honorary Master
Very informative thread.

I want to purchase a financed vehicle from a colleague, using my own finance. Technically the current owner doesn't own the vehicle, the bank does.

The current owner HAS to settle with the Bank, prior to selling it.
If he's relying on your money to settle it, then you must take him to the bank and settle it together - they will then give him the registration papers that have to be put into his name, and then into yours.

Hope that helps

cueball

Very informative thread.

I think the bank handles all the admin so you don't really have to worry about that. At least Wesbank do, a colleague went through the process a while ago, he didn't have to figure anything out really, just followed the instructions and it all fell into place.

Colin62

Executive Member
Very informative thread.

I'm not sure what 'using my own finance' means.

If it means that you're paying cash, then you will most likely pay the money to the bank, and they will release the registration papers, and you can then go ahead and register it in your name.

If it means that you're applying for finance in your name, there are two options - if you're using the same bank, it'll be easier, because they already have the registration papers, and they can use the money that they're lending you to pay off his HP. If it's a different bank, then the two banks will probably have a process for swapping the registration papers - usually the current bank won't release the reg papers without being paid, and the new bank won't pay until they have the reg papers which would leave you with a catch-22, but because they're both banks, they'll most likely have a system for dealing with it between them.

RedViking

Nord of the South
This is an excellent thread and helped me sold a vehicle. I just need to hand in the yellow form on Monday as the sale was on a Weekend.

How I did it:
1. Public space close to an ATM that takes cash deposit.
2. Backup person(s) close by but not in sight (it's KZN)
3. Roadworthy form that shows issues of vehicle (I sold as is, owner can fix)
4. Contract that I found in this thread edited a bit: Buyer is responsible for roadworthy and registration. Vehicle sold as is, may have rust, mechanical or electrical issues.
5. If you discussed a price, stick to it, don't take further negotiations on day of sale. Otherwise get different buyer.
5. Buyer brought cash, went with me to ATM, deposit money into my account. Bank confirmed money is in.
6. Forms and documents done as explained by OP.

Only thing I'll do different next time is do it in the week and if buyer doesn't pitch up by appointed time the vehicle will be sold to someone else.

Last edited:

soup

Going to an ATM and having a wad of cash might not be the best idea. If you sell your car for R150,000 - that's going to be a huge risk in itself.

I have personally sold a car for a higher amount that would make ATM cash deposits no good. What I did was invited the buyer to my office and did all the paperwork with him. He came to my office a number of times and was comfortable dealing with me in the end. We both went to the bank and did a transfer with bank assistance (cost R370 if I recall correctly).

I've also had a buyer who needed finance and I was happy to deal with a local finance company. I personally know the guy who manages http://vehiclefinancesouthafrica.co.za/ but I know they help with private sales all over the country. Didn't cost me anything.

RedViking

Nord of the South
Going to an ATM and having a wad of cash might not be the best idea. If you sell your car for R150,000 - that's going to be a huge risk in itself.
I agree. Walking/driving around with 150K is not very clever. Then it is better to just do an EFT. Some buyers are also just a pain in the butt. This was my first car I sold and this guy had no manners. But it was an old car and not that much money so there was no point in arguing with him, but I got the car sold, got my money as agreed and all documents were finalised. After I handed him the keys he just jumped in the car and 'sped' off, was gonna tell him how to use the anti-hijack but I guess he figured it out by himself.