How to sell your vehicle privately. A step-by-step guide.

Sumen

Expert Member
Thats what I thought of doing, as soon as the money is transfered I transfer it to another bank
If the car is 10 years and younger then do the deal through http://www.autotradermarketplace.co.za/

Or alternative do the deal through https://www.buysafesellsafe.co.za/ if it's older

Last edited:

Meerkat044

Good day. I apologize if I am on the wrong area. We have a car that was privately sold from person to person. We have the original owners I'd number and name. Is there anyway to get his contact details somewhere or from someone?

Fazda

Honorary Master
Good day. I apologize if I am on the wrong area. We have a car that was privately sold from person to person. We have the original owners I'd number and name. Is there anyway to get his contact details somewhere or from someone?
Just a question - why would you want the original owner's details if he didn't sell the car to you?

The reason I say this is because I was highly irritated in 2014, when the guy who had just bought the Polo that I originally sold in 2003, contacted me and started asking me why the car had certain problems. If the guy didn't sell you the car, it's got nothing to do with him.

The details, by the way, are normally noted in the service book.

Meerkat044

It's a 1970's bakkie. Not sure if it had a service book. And that guy with the polo is an ass. Looking to pin his problems on someone else.
No it not anything like that. We want to put the bakkie in our name so hubby can drive it around.... once every couple of months...... she is a very thirsty old lady

Sent from my ALE-L21 using MyBroadband mobile app

Fazda

Honorary Master
It's a 1970's bakkie. Not sure if it had a service book. And that guy with the polo is an ass. Looking to pin his problems on someone else.
No it not anything like that. We want to put the bakkie in our name so hubby can drive it around.... once every couple of months...... she is a very thirsty old lady

Oh dear - that's mistake # 1 when buying a car privately - get it into your name ASAP - and no, unless you hire a detective, you are not going to find the original owner in a hurry, I should imagine! :(

Meerkat044

Oh boy. Ok thank you. Luckily it first needs a lot of work before it will be aloud on the road. She has been standing since 2006. And luckily hubby is a genie with engine and got it running.
But thank you so much

Colin62

Executive Member
I think it's the registered owner you're looking for, who may not be the original owner.

rodmur

Can I use the black and white downloaded forms or must it be the original yellow and blue

Arex

1) I have a completed yellow form from the seller along with the vehicle registration and a copy of his drivers license, If i complete the blue form and get a new RWC would this be enough to transfer the ownership? (I can confirm all information is correct)

2) Would the seller need to go with me or could I hand it all in myself?

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
1) Yes.

2) No, that’s the entire point of him signing the yellow form and giving you a copy of his ID.