How to sell your vehicle privately. A step-by-step guide.

Arex

thanks, so a drivers license would be fine? Would I not need a sales agreement?

The vehicle is registered till 2018 feb and the plate is from Gauteng, when i transfer ownership I'm guessing it will automatically register to KZN (where I am)? is there a seperate step for me to do?

Fazda

Honorary Master
thanks, so a drivers license would be fine? Would I not need a sales agreement?

The vehicle is registered till 2018 feb and the plate is from Gauteng, when i transfer ownership I'm guessing it will automatically register to KZN (where I am)? is there a seperate step for me to do?
No extra step needed - you have all of the correct paperwork - the only extra that you must have is proof of address for yourself.

Tinuva

The Magician
Quick question. After buying a vehicle, how long before the buyer needs to hand in the blue form with vehicle registration. Is there a time limit?

Reason is, bought a vehicle second hand on the other side of the country. Brother is handling the pickup ect, and then the car will be garaged at my parents house for a few weeks, more than 2, after which I will be there to collect and do all the required work.

airborne

Executive Member
Quick question. After buying a vehicle, how long before the buyer needs to hand in the blue form with vehicle registration. Is there a time limit?

Reason is, bought a vehicle second hand on the other side of the country. Brother is handling the pickup ect, and then the car will be garaged at my parents house for a few weeks, more than 2, after which I will be there to collect and do all the required work.
I think you have 28 days from purchase and then you get charged late penalties or something similar.

airborne

Executive Member
Thank you. Will then make a plan
Keep in mind you can do the transfer of ownership without a cor, they just won't give you an updated license disc until that's done. Also you can send someone on your behalf to do the change of ownership, just phone the licensing dept you will be going to and ask them what the person going there on your behalf needs to facilitate that.

Tinuva

The Magician
Keep in mind you can do the transfer of ownership without a cor, they just won't give you an updated license disc until that's done. Also you can send someone on your behalf to do the change of ownership, just phone the licensing dept you will be going to and ask them what the person going there on your behalf needs to facilitate that.
With cor, do you mean certificate of roadworthy / certificate of registration, or something?

What I was thinking, what about courier down the registration certificate, have my brother do the roadworthy test and then I can do the transfer here. When I fly up I will already have the new number plates and can drive the car down like that. Changed the plans now to spend a week at my parents, may as well make it a visit, before driving down. That give me time to double check everything again on the car, even though it was serviced recently.

deweyzeph

Executive Member
Exactly this. There is a misconception that a certificate of roadworthiness is required to transfer ownership, which is simply not true. The certificate of roadworthiness is required to obtain a new licence disc, which is an entirely separate transaction from transfering ownership. Usually they are done at the same time for convenience, but if no new certificate is available when transfer of ownership is done, the current licence disc of the car can be used as long as it still has time left on it before it expires and the owner has not changed licensing authorities necesitating a new licence number. However when the disc finally does expire, you will not be able to renew it without doing a roadworthy test.

Tinuva

The Magician
Exactly this. There is a misconception that a certificate of roadworthiness is required to transfer ownership, which is simply not true. The certificate of roadworthiness is required to obtain a new licence disc, which is an entirely separate transaction from transfering ownership. Usually they are done at the same time for convenience, but if no new certificate is available when transfer of ownership is done, the current licence disc of the car can be used as long as it still has time left on it before it expires and the owner has not changed licensing authorities necesitating a new licence number. However when the disc finally does expire, you will not be able to renew it without doing a roadworthy test.
Awesome! Thank you very much, will then do the transfer and worry about the road worthiness closer to the expiry of the license which have a few more months left.

Or you (your brother) could fake a proof off address. He can do the roadworthy, and register and license it in your name (assuming he is in the same area where the car us currently registered so no change in registration number). You then go there and drive the car back and when you are here, just do a change of address when you get home, that will just equate to the new license and new registration number like you would have to do in any case

airborne

Executive Member
With cor, do you mean certificate of roadworthy / certificate of registration, or something?

What I was thinking, what about courier down the registration certificate, have my brother do the roadworthy test and then I can do the transfer here. When I fly up I will already have the new number plates and can drive the car down like that. Changed the plans now to spend a week at my parents, may as well make it a visit, before driving down. That give me time to double check everything again on the car, even though it was serviced recently.
That's also a clever solution, saves you having to go through the cor test and if it fails you also have a better idea before you arrive of the vehicles condition, possibly only do the cor the week before you are going up there so that there's time to have the vehicle retested when you are there.

Colin62

Executive Member
Usually they are done at the same time for convenience, but if no new certificate is available when transfer of ownership is done, the current licence disc of the car can be used as long as it still has time left on it before it expires and the owner has not changed licensing authorities necesitating a new licence number. However when the disc finally does expire, you will not be able to renew it without doing a roadworthy test.
No, it can’t. The old license disc is no longer valid once ownership is transferred. The car is no longer licensed, and if you have an accident, your insurance will almost certainly reject your claim.

airborne

Executive Member
No, it can’t. The old license disc is no longer valid once ownership is transferred. The car is no longer licensed, and if you have an accident, your insurance will almost certainly reject your claim.
In your opinion, not the licencing dept's. As clarified if the vehicle has not moved to a different licensing authority or changed number plates the license remains valid until it expires.

Are you going to mindlessly bang your head against the wall about this all over again?

deweyzeph

Executive Member
I'm afraid you're wrong. The old licence disc does not become invalid after ownership is transferred. The licence disc belongs to the vehicle, not the owner of the vehicle. It remains valid until it expires or is superceded by a newer licence disc. The new owner of a vehicle is fully entitled to make use of any remaining time on the existing licence disc if for whatever reason they did not get a new licence disc when transferring ownership. Transferring ownership of a vehicle, and licensing of a vehicle are 2 completely different transactions. I have dealt with many different licensing departments over the years in buying and selling vehicles for my personal use and this has been confirmed by them over and over again.

cueball

[citation needed] before this turns into a pointless "you're wrong", "no, you're wrong", "no, you're wrong"..... chain.

Tinuva

The Magician
Guys, I have decided to let my brother take the car for a road worthy, and papers are being couriered to me. Will put it on my name, and buy new license plates before flying up. The license disk needs to be renewed soon anyway, as it is expiring next month, so there is no point in trying to skip that part now if I have to renew it next month anyway.

That said, thank you for all the advice here.