• You are losing out on amazing benefits because you are not a member. Join for free. Register now.
  • Big Two-Day Giveaway - Win an Amazon Kindle, a Mystery Gadget and Branded Gear. Enter Here.
  • Test your broadband speed and win prizes worth R5,000. Enter here.

How to sell your vehicle privately. A step-by-step guide.

PsYTraNc3

Expert Member
I'm in the process of buying a vehicle form a private seller and he wants me to hand in the yellow form.
Hoping someone could please confirm if that would be an issue at all?
I would actually prefer to go into the traffic department with the guy and hand in both forms.

Tinuva

The Magician
I'm in the process of buying a vehicle form a private seller and he wants me to hand in the yellow form.
Hoping someone could please confirm if that would be an issue at all?
I would actually prefer to go into the traffic department with the guy and hand in both forms.
Nothing wrong with that. You have to hand in the blue form, and without him handing in the yellow, you cant do the blue one as a buyer. But if he signs it and all the details are correct, you can hand in both without an issue. I have done this in the past.

In all honesty, the seller is taking a chance, that if you never hand in the yellow paper for him, you can get fines on his name ect. But you will have other issues.

PsYTraNc3

Expert Member
Nothing wrong with that. You have to hand in the blue form, and without him handing in the yellow, you cant do the blue one as a buyer. But if he signs it and all the details are correct, you can hand in both without an issue. I have done this in the past.

In all honesty, the seller is taking a chance, that if you never hand in the yellow paper for him, you can get fines on his name ect. But you will have other issues.
Thanks!
I bought the car shortly after reading this and the transfer was quick and easy.

trapjaw

I have a question that I don't think has been covered in this thread. Last year in November I bought a motorcycle. I did the usual transfer of ownership and got the logbook in my name, but could not get a licence disc as the bike couldn't pass a roadworthy test at that time. It had a valid licence disc up to August 2018 by previous owner though. Anyway long story short since then I've spent a lot of time and money sorting out the bike and it's finally ready to pass a roadworthy test and I've pretty much sold it, but the buyer has yet to collect it. I realise that there will be outstanding licence penalties as I never got the licence disc. The buyer is aware of this, and I am happy to pay these.

However, my question is, can the ownership of the bike be transferred with the bike currently not having a valid licence disc, and having outstanding penalties? Basically I just want to get it out of my name as soon as I can because I'm leaving the country soon. So, will there be any issues when I go to hand in the yellow form to get it out of my name? Can I just pay the penalties there and then and be done with it?

airborne

Executive Member
I have a question that I don't think has been covered in this thread. Last year in November I bought a motorcycle. I did the usual transfer of ownership and got the logbook in my name, but could not get a licence disc as the bike couldn't pass a roadworthy test at that time. It had a valid licence disc up to August 2018 by previous owner though. Anyway long story short since then I've spent a lot of time and money sorting out the bike and it's finally ready to pass a roadworthy test and I've pretty much sold it, but the buyer has yet to collect it. I realise that there will be outstanding licence penalties as I never got the licence disc. The buyer is aware of this, and I am happy to pay these.

However, my question is, can the ownership of the bike be transferred with the bike currently not having a valid licence disc, and having outstanding penalties? Basically I just want to get it out of my name as soon as I can because I'm leaving the country soon. So, will there be any issues when I go to hand in the yellow form to get it out of my name? Can I just pay the penalties there and then and be done with it?
They won't allow the transfer of ownership with an expired license, you'll need to have the cor done, renew the license and then do the transfer of ownership.

Getting a Cor on a bike is a joke though, what was it failed on?

trapjaw

Brake light was not working. Easy fix right? I thought so, but the switch that activates the light was corroded away (it's an old bike) and a new one had to be ordered from Japan, took a few months to arrive. Still couldn't sort it out when it did arrive because during that time it developed a problem with the charging system and was essentially non-running. More expensive parts from Japan, more months of it sitting gathering dust in my garage, and here I am, bike finally 100% as of a few days ago, but had to sell right away. Now having to do this paperwork is just one more hassle to get through.

Colin62

Executive Member
You don’t need the roadworthy to transfer it, but you will have to pay any outstanding fees and penalties before they’ll do it.

trapjaw

You don’t need the roadworthy to transfer it, but you will have to pay any outstanding fees and penalties before they’ll do it.
Ah, now this contradicts airborne's advice. I appreciate both people's perspectives, of course, just wondering which one is correct. Does anyone have any recent experience with a scenario like this?

airborne

Executive Member
Ah, now this contradicts airborne's advice. I appreciate both people's perspectives, of course, just wondering which one is correct. Does anyone have any recent experience with a scenario like this?
Colin could be correct, they won't issue a license disc though even if they do allow you to pay for it but that probably won't be a problem if you just need it to facilitate the change of ownership. They won't allow the change of ownership if the license is not paid up.

I'd give your local licensing dept a call and ask, that'll save time standing in the queue and if it is possible then you have your answer from the source, let us know what they say.

ahoudet

Expert Member
You would've paid for the licensing when registering the bike. You just didn't get a disk because you didn't have roadworthy.

New owner won't have penalties. He just needs to take the bike for a roadworthy and register it. He'll pay the balance required for 12 months of licensing.

trapjaw

You would've paid for the licensing when registering the bike. You just didn't get a disk because you didn't have roadworthy.

New owner won't have penalties. He just needs to take the bike for a roadworthy and register it. He'll pay the balance required for 12 months of licensing.
This turned out to be the correct answer for this situation. The buyer picked up the bike from me earlier than he was supposed to, so I never got a chance to do the roadworthy. I went in this afternoon with the yellow form, wondering how it was going to go ... handed it in, the lady put all the details into the system, printed out a receipt and that was that. No fees, no penalties, no questions. Probably would have been a problem if I had done this after a full year had passed, however.

akescpt

Honorary Master
whats is the best way of paying for the car when the person is with another bank? an EFT makes me nervous. im risk averse, please forgive me. so i was thinking bank guaranteed cheque. i handover cheque, they give me the yellow form with all relevant docs and keys.

other alternatives?

Last car I bought, had the same problem. Seller wanted me to EFT funds, and wait 4 days, so that he could be sure I am not scamming him.

So I said, thats cool, but lets have it in writing then. You need to have a letter, sale agreement anyway when selling the vehicle, that both the seller and buyer sign. So I used that, that stipulated the conditions, so that I have something that also said that I am paying the money before delivery of the vehicle, as I believe both buyer and seller needs some form of evidence.

airborne

Executive Member
whats is the best way of paying for the car when the person is with another bank? an EFT makes me nervous. im risk averse, please forgive me. so i was thinking bank guaranteed cheque. i handover cheque, they give me the yellow form with all relevant docs and keys.

other alternatives?
I'd laugh at someone that expected me to accept a bank guaranteed check as payment if they also expected me to handed over keys and docs at the same time.

Last vehicle I purchased I used the instant clear eft facility on FNB and it cleared on the spot, seller released the vehicle and everything there and then.