How to sell your vehicle privately. A step-by-step guide.

Dee96

Hi Guys. I am based in Sunninghill, Jhb. What's the best place to get COR done and the estimated costs?

Zuner

Expert Member
So my brother wants to transfer his car into his name from my mom's name.
Questions:
Will he have to do roadworthy?
His license disk just expired and he wants to renew it, so does this mean he'll pay twice? Once to renew and once when registering?

Colin62

Executive Member
Yes, he’ll have to do a roadworthy.
No, he won’t have to pay license fees twice. When transfer takes place you have the option of leaving the license expiry date as is, or extending it to a calendar year from the time of the change. Often (usually they will just extend it to a year without asking you, but even if they do that you only pay for the extra months, and don’t pay double.

StrontiumDog

Executive Member
I have a bit of a potential dilemma that I may have to sort out for my old man. We are selling a car to some relatives, and it turns out that Nedbank is still the Title Holder even though my father (the Owner) paid off the car like 15 years ago already. So now we have to get Nedbank provide the necessary in order to get my father recognised as the Title Holder...

Has anyone here else had to do similar, and was it a huge pain to get it done? My main concern is that since it's so long ago since the vehicle was paid off, Nedbank potentially could come back and say that they don't have the Registration Certificate any longer or are missing something on their side in order to do the change of Title Holder.

Edit: Ok, just read a message that my father has had to get Nedbank's Enquiries dept to email their Archives dept for documents. Takes usually 7/10 days to get something back.
I'll report back in this thread on how things play out.

Edit2: Oh jeez, I've just read the below, and now Im wondering if we have to do the whole transfer of ownership thing into my father's name (blue form and yellow form) before he can even begin to sell it to the relative (with different blue and yellow forms)!

https://thecarbuyer.co.za/vehicle-registration-procedure
How do register a car from the bank?
You contact the bank via telephone and give them your account number. They will ask you a few questions to verify you are indeed the owner, you then request that they send you the appropriate documentation which enables you register the vehicle
For a smooth transaction it is crucial that you receive the following 4 documents from the bank:

• A paid up / settlement letter
  • The certificate of registration
  • A signed and stamped notification of change of ownership (Yellow form or copy)
  • The banks proxies ID
All 4 of these documents are important and serves a particular purpose

The paid up letter from the bank, this document tells the traffic official that you are done paying the vehicle and the bank has authorize you to proceed with the registration. It also explains the procedure to you and indicates that you have 21 days to submit the documents to the traffic department. Take note that the settlement letter is dated, it is from this date that your 21 days start. Its not common but if you submit these forms after the 21 day period you may be penalized for late registration, it all depends on the mood of the teller so be on the safe side and stick within your 21 day window.

The certificate of registration, this document ties the other 3 forms together. It’s a smart and subtle way of the bank informing the teller, the car is really settled and they are aware of the transaction. You wouldn’t have the original document otherwise!

The Natis NCO form must be signed by the proxy, this form is sent as part of procedure. If the settlement letter is signed and dated then it may or may not be needed. Complete section B and C of the yellow form and take it with you just to be safe.

The ID of the proxy, All Businesses with a business register certificate will have an assigned proxy, their ID needs to be attached to all transactions.

The bank will send you all the forms needed but one, the registration RLV blue form. This can be obtained by the traffic department.
The cost of this transaction is currently R132.00 provided your vehicles license is valid.

Last edited:

rorz0r

Executive Member
I have a bit of a potential dilemma that I may have to sort out for my old man. We are selling a car to some relatives, and it turns out that Nedbank is still the Title Holder even though my father (the Owner) paid off the car like 15 years ago already. So now we have to get Nedbank provide the necessary in order to get my father recognised as the Title Holder...

Has anyone here else had to do similar, and was it a huge pain to get it done? My main concern is that since it's so long ago since the vehicle was paid off, Nedbank potentially could come back and say that they don't have the Registration Certificate any longer or are missing something on their side in order to do the change of Title Holder.

Edit: Ok, just read a message that my father has had to get Nedbank's Enquiries dept to email their Archives dept for documents. Takes usually 7/10 days to get something back.
I'll report back in this thread on how things play out.

Edit2: Oh jeez, I've just read the below, and now Im wondering if we have to do the whole transfer of ownership thing into my father's name (blue form and yellow form) before he can even begin to sell it to the relative (with different blue and yellow forms)!
When I sold my previous car they (Wesbank) sent the one form already filled in to transfer it to my name and signed by them etc. Seems the licensing department was also not too keen on registering the car straight into the new buyers name but basically the buyer manager to get hold of a manager there, she provided a letter on their letterhead to say it's ok and the buyer successfully registered it straight from Wesbank to himself.

ubercal

Expert Member
Guys iam wanting to sell my unroadworthy car with the licence disc that expired over 1 year ago.I havent driven the car for +- 2 years.Now when i hand in the yellow form do i need to pay any penalty fees etc for it to be out my name ?

Fazda

Honorary Master
Guys iam wanting to sell my unroadworthy car with the licence disc that expired over 1 year ago.I havent driven the car for +- 2 years.Now when i hand in the yellow form do i need to pay any penalty fees etc for it to be out my name ?
What you should do, is licence the car before selling it, or drop your price wrt the cost of the licence. If I was the buyer, I would insist that I buy a fully licenced car!

ubercal

Expert Member
What you should do, is licence the car before selling it, or drop your price wrt the cost of the licence. If I was the buyer, I would insist that I buy a fully licenced car!
this is KZN after all :X3: the car is not worth much and ive disclosured all the issues to the buyer.The buyer is not really fazed , but i want to know from legal perspective if i can take it out my name with paying the licence fee ? I was going to minus the licence fee from the agreed price anyway.Wouldnt be surprised if the buyer strips the car and sells all the parts for profit.

Fazda

Honorary Master
this is KZN after all :X3: the car is not worth much and ive disclosured all the issues to the buyer.The buyer is not really fazed , but i want to know from legal perspective if i can take it out my name with paying the licence fee ? I was going to minus the licence fee from the agreed price anyway.Wouldnt be surprised if the buyer strips the car and sells all the parts for profit.
Short cut the whole story and pay the fee!

Colin62

Executive Member
You can’t transfer ownership if the license is in arrears. You’ll need to settle that before they’ll process any transactions. It doesn’t go away, it just gets bigger and bigger the longer you leave it.

ubercal

Expert Member
You can’t transfer ownership if the license is in arrears. You’ll need to settle that before they’ll process any transactions. It doesn’t go away, it just gets bigger and bigger the longer you leave it.
so what you saying is that when i hand in the yellow form , the licencing department will not process the form with an expired licence disc ? Or will they still process the yellow form and the problem falls onto the buyer now ? When i spoke to both interested buyers i said i would renew the licence disc and then bill it into my final selling price.However both the interested buyers said not to worry and they would purchase it with the licence disc expired.

Last edited:

airborne

Executive Member
so what you saying is that when i hand in the yellow form , the licencing department will not process the form with an expired licence disc ? Or will they still process the yellow form and the problem falls onto the buyer now ? When i spoke to both interested buyers i said i would renew the licence disc and then bill it into my final selling price.However both the interested buyers said not to worry and they would purchase it with the licence disc expired.
Probably best to scrap/deregister the vehicle but last I remember that also requires a paid up license but at least then you have piece of mind that it's off the road and out of your name.

Colin62

Executive Member
so what you saying is that when i hand in the yellow form , the licencing department will not process the form with an expired licence disc ? Or will they still process the yellow form and the problem falls onto the buyer now ?
I don’t know, but I suspect that they won’t process anything until the arrears are paid - that would give them their best chance of recouping the money, which is their prime objective.

Might be worth asking the licensing department.

ubercal

Expert Member
So i decided to just re
I don’t know, but I suspect that they won’t process anything until the arrears are paid - that would give them their best chance of recouping the money, which is their prime objective.

Might be worth asking the licensing department.
thanks i told the buyer iam going to renew the licence and they must pay me for it.All sorted out :thumbsup:

Dust52

Just some advice from you guys.

We want to sell the wife's car, We Buy Cars offered us peanuts for it and after browsing the classifieds we saw we could actually get what were expecting, so we've gone the private route. She advertised the car yesterday and because I didn't expect a lot of interest straight away, I wanted to fit new front tyres today. The interested buyer was so keen they wanted to fetch the car yesterday and sort tyres themselves. Only kicker was we hadn't yet settled with the bank. That has also since been sorted today.

Long story short, buyer only wants us to settle register the car in my wife's name - as confirmed earlier in this thread, transfer directly to a new owner doesn't seem to go down well - before we sell. I'm happy with that, buyer is from out of town and wants to send a driver to collect the car. My only concerns atm are, if I use the example contract in this thread, I can mail it to the buyer, have them sign it and send it back, sounds easy enough. What about the yellow and blue forms, it seems like we would need to fill in portions of the form for the change of ownership to go through?

I don't want to find myself in a situation, where they sign the contract, pay the money and then neglect to file the change of ownership.

Tinuva

The Magician

We want to sell the wife's car, We Buy Cars offered us peanuts for it and after browsing the classifieds we saw we could actually get what were expecting, so we've gone the private route. She advertised the car yesterday and because I didn't expect a lot of interest straight away, I wanted to fit new front tyres today. The interested buyer was so keen they wanted to fetch the car yesterday and sort tyres themselves. Only kicker was we hadn't yet settled with the bank. That has also since been sorted today.

Long story short, buyer only wants us to settle register the car in my wife's name - as confirmed earlier in this thread, transfer directly to a new owner doesn't seem to go down well - before we sell. I'm happy with that, buyer is from out of town and wants to send a driver to collect the car. My only concerns atm are, if I use the example contract in this thread, I can mail it to the buyer, have them sign it and send it back, sounds easy enough. What about the yellow and blue forms, it seems like we would need to fill in portions of the form for the change of ownership to go through?

I don't want to find myself in a situation, where they sign the contract, pay the money and then neglect to file the change of ownership.

How are you covering the part where you make sure you not getting scammed? As in you actually get payment and the money doesn't disappear. ?

Be VERY careful of a buyer that is in such a hurry. There is a good reason they want the car first in your wife's name instead of the bank. The bank will actually have the money to throw at the problem if they just take off with the car without proper payment or money disappearing.

Rabobi

Executive Member

Whenever you see a buyer who "will send a driver or courier to collect" you can be 99.99% sure you are being scammed