How to sell your vehicle privately. A step-by-step guide.

Fazda

Honorary Master
Seller BEWARE!!

It smells fishy all the way!

BTW - the buyer fills in the blue form and the SELLER fills in the yellow form AND takes it to the licensing department - that's how you know that he has 21 days to get it into his name.

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
Just some advice from you guys.

We want to sell the wife's car, We Buy Cars offered us peanuts for it and after browsing the classifieds we saw we could actually get what were expecting, so we've gone the private route. She advertised the car yesterday and because I didn't expect a lot of interest straight away, I wanted to fit new front tyres today. The interested buyer was so keen they wanted to fetch the car yesterday and sort tyres themselves. Only kicker was we hadn't yet settled with the bank. That has also since been sorted today.

Long story short, buyer only wants us to settle register the car in my wife's name - as confirmed earlier in this thread, transfer directly to a new owner doesn't seem to go down well - before we sell. I'm happy with that, buyer is from out of town and wants to send a driver to collect the car. My only concerns atm are, if I use the example contract in this thread, I can mail it to the buyer, have them sign it and send it back, sounds easy enough. What about the yellow and blue forms, it seems like we would need to fill in portions of the form for the change of ownership to go through?

I don't want to find myself in a situation, where they sign the contract, pay the money and then neglect to file the change of ownership.
You are going to get scammed.

Walk away.

Rouxenator

Dank meme lord
Seller BEWARE!!

It smells fishy all the way!

BTW - the buyer fills in the blue form and the SELLER fills in the yellow form AND takes it to the licensing department - that's how you know that he has 21 days to get it into his name.
^^^^^^^^
This man knows what he's talking about!

genetic

Honorary Master

We want to sell the wife's car, We Buy Cars offered us peanuts for it and after browsing the classifieds we saw we could actually get what were expecting, so we've gone the private route. She advertised the car yesterday and because I didn't expect a lot of interest straight away, I wanted to fit new front tyres today. The interested buyer was so keen they wanted to fetch the car yesterday and sort tyres themselves. Only kicker was we hadn't yet settled with the bank. That has also since been sorted today.

Long story short, buyer only wants us to settle register the car in my wife's name - as confirmed earlier in this thread, transfer directly to a new owner doesn't seem to go down well - before we sell. I'm happy with that, buyer is from out of town and wants to send a driver to collect the car. My only concerns atm are, if I use the example contract in this thread, I can mail it to the buyer, have them sign it and send it back, sounds easy enough. What about the yellow and blue forms, it seems like we would need to fill in portions of the form for the change of ownership to go through?

I don't want to find myself in a situation, where they sign the contract, pay the money and then neglect to file the change of ownership.
Really? I mean REALLY??? You can't see that this is a scam????

Dust52

All comments noted, their urgency on Sunday and disregard for worn tyres was making me feel very uneasy either way, will see how things pan out with other potential buyers.

Generally speaking, was just wondering what's the best way to go about protecting your own interests.

Tinuva

The Magician
All comments noted, their urgency on Sunday and disregard for worn tyres was making me feel very uneasy either way, will see how things pan out with other potential buyers.

Generally speaking, was just wondering what's the best way to go about protecting your own interests.
Start with, the buyer need to at least come view the vehicle before you start any discussion further on the sale. Thats usually the best way with vehicle sales. Even then, don't sell on the day the buyer is viewing. Let him test drive where you go with ect, then after you discuss the price of the sale. Write out a contract, something in the line of payment must reflect in your bank account and stay there for more than 2-3 days (this prevents the fake bouncing check eft) with terms on how and when buyer will collect vehicle or even if you deliver it.

Take your time, don't be in a hurry. Make sure you get copy of buyer's ID ect too.

There is a reason why you sign a crapload of paperwork when buying a vehicle, even if cash.

Remember, while you can make more money by selling a car privately, there is always the risk of getting scammed. You have the value of the vehicle to lose.
Selling to webuycars etc at a lower price, reduce your risk to R0 only that you get less money. This is the way, how things work.

Oldfut

A query on a vehicle that was once financed and now being sold. I have the letter from Wesbank stating that the finance is paid up but do I need them to complete the RLV transfer form?

Tinuva

The Magician
A query on a vehicle that was once financed and now being sold. I have the letter from Wesbank stating that the finance is paid up but do I need them to complete the RLV transfer form?
They only give you the documents needed to do that yourself.

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
It once being financed should he irrelevant.

Is it not already in your name? It is now your and no letter from anyone is required assuming you follow the process to change ownership.

CranialBlaze

Expert Member

Ah dude, you soo lucky that's my favorite scam, I have soo much fun with those frackers. Managed to keep the last twat on the hook for 4 days. They normally not that committed and vanish in a few hours.