How to setup your D-Link G225 VDSL/ADSL Modem in Bridge Mode (for VDSL)

jacogreyling

So this is a semi-howto tutorial. After battling to get my D-Link G225 modem setup in bridge mode, specifically for use with VDSL I thought I'll let others know what I did. In my case I have a Netgear Nighthawk R7000 router so I didn't want to use the Wi-Fi (or any other) capabilities of the D-Link modem itself. I decided to run the D-Link in 'bridge mode' so I can setup my PPPoE authentication on my Netgear, and make use of more advanced firewall rules, QoS and Wi-Fi features.

Now there is plenty of documentation to show you exactly how to do it but it's mostly for ADSL configurations and not VDSL. For the latter you need an extra 'undocumented' step. Firstly familiarise yourself with this how to guide before you begin

On page 7 it talks about creating a new 'WAN Service Interface'. Firstly you need to select 'ptm0' as the Layer 2 interface for VDSL. Now here is the undocumented part... 802.1P Priority should be set to 0, and 802.1Q VLAN ID should be set to 835. Without this, your router will not be able to authenticate with your ISP. If you have a router flashed with DD-WRT or the Tomato firmware, you will see the following error message in the /var/log/messages log: "Timeout waiting for PADO packet".

Once you make the above change, everything should just work! I offer no guarantees but it worked for me, so hopefully it will save others a lot of headache's too. I now get 19.18 Mbps down and 4.69 Mbps up on my 20 Mbps VDSL line.

Enjoy!