How to Significantly Slow Coronavirus? - from Czech Republic on Face Masks

pinball wizard

Honorary Master
Welcome to the pseudo-science thread.

A mask isn't a mask isn't a mask...

https://www.livescience.com/face-mask-new-coronavirus.html

And also:

However, masks will probably make little difference if you’re just walking around town or taking a bus so there is no need to bulk-buy a huge supply.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...ect-me-from-coronavirus-covid-19-myths-busted

But wait, there's more (for those that choose to believe who)

https://www.who.int/emergencies/dis...9/advice-for-public/when-and-how-to-use-masks

Gordon_R

Honorary Master
Does not justify a thread IMO. I don't want to place you on my ignore list (again), since some of your posts are worth reading.

RedViking

Nord of the South
regular coronavirus updates thread?
Fake news thread - although it's not necessarily fake, just misleading?
The regular corona thread is nothing but a spam and troll thread.

I at least do some effort to post some statistics to put stuff in context and encourage a decent debate or argument. I guess it is too much to handle for some.

RedViking

Nord of the South
A Study in 2013

Filtration Efficacy All the materials tested showed some capability to block the microbial aerosol challenges. In general, the filtration efficiency for bacteriophage MS2 was 10% lower than for B atrophaeus (Table 1). The surgical mask had the highest filtration efficiency when challenged with bacteriophage MS2, followed by the vacuum cleaner bag, but the bag’s stiffness and thickness created a high pressure drop across the material, rendering it unsuitable for a face mask. Similarly, the tea towel, which is a strong fabric with a thick weave, showed relatively high filtration efficiency with both B atrophaeus and bacteriophage MS2, but a high pressure drop was also measured. The surgical mask (control) showed the highest filtration efficiency with B atrophaeus. Also, as expected, its measured low pressure drop showed it to be the most suitable material among those tested for use as a face mask. The pillowcase and the 100% cotton t-shirt were found to be the most suitable household materials for an improvised face mask. The slightly stretchy quality of the t-shirt made it the more preferable choice for a face mask as it was considered likely to provide a better fit. Although doubling the layers of fabric did significantly increase the pressure drop measured across all 3 materials (P , .01 using Wilcoxon sign rank test), only the 2 layers of tea towel material demonstrated a significant increase in filtration efficiency that was marginally greater than that of the face mask. In the questionnaire on mask use during a pandemic, 6 participants said they would wear a mask some of the time, 6 said they would never wear a mask, and 9 either did not know or were undecided. None of the participants said that they would wear a mask all of the time. With 1 exception, all participants reported that their face mask was comfortable. However, the length of time each participant kept their mask on during testing was minimal (15 min), and with long-term wear, comfort might decrease.

CONCLUSION
A protective mask may reduce the likelihood of infection, but it will not eliminate the risk, particularly when a disease has more than 1 route of transmission. Thus any mask, no matter how efficient at filtration or how good the seal, will have minimal effect if it is not used in conjunction with other preventative measures, such as isolation of infected cases, immunization, good respiratory etiquette, and regular hand hygiene. An improvised face mask should be viewed as the last possible alternative if a supply of commercial face masks is not available, irrespective of the disease against which it may be required for protection. Improvised homemade face masks may be used to help protect those who could potentially, for example, be at occupational risk from close or frequent contact with symptomatic patients. However, these masks would provide the wearers little protection from microorganisms from others persons who are infected with respiratory diseases. As a result, we would not recommend the use of homemade face masks as a method of reducing transmission of infection from aerosols.

Attachments

• daviesfacemask2013.pdf
    624.8 KB · Views: 0

RedViking

Nord of the South

A good read on how masks work.

Thats the thing. Masks don't work as much as staying at home or washing your hands. But all those things help to 'flatten the curve' as it gives some degree of protection. If everyone does it and use as much measures as possible, it is likely to make a huge difference.

RedViking

Nord of the South
I managed to find two surgical masks between my wifes paint stuff. What I do is add a double layer of 2 play toilet paper before I put it on and also wear a DIY material mask over it. This is for the once or twice I go out in public.
When I get home the toilet paper goes into the dustbin. The face mask get hanged up for a couple of days and the DIY mask goes into the washing machine.

Obviously other precautions are also done like wash hands when close to a tap and water, use 70% sanitiser where possible hoping it makes a difference. Avoid touching clothes or face as much as possible. Would be great to have eye protection.

Back home, sanitizer, then wallet gets put asside, keys for front door hanged up and not used until going out again. hands get washed, clothes into laundry machine, facemasks off, hands washed again, surfaces and handles cleaned with jik/water solution.

There is no need to disinfect car as it will be standing in the garage for a couple of days before getting used again. The virus doesn't last that long even.

lumeer

Expert Member
I managed to find two surgical masks between my wifes paint stuff. What I do is add a double layer of 2 play toilet paper before I put it on and also wear a DIY material mask over it. This is for the once or twice I go out in public.
When I get home the toilet paper goes into the dustbin. The face mask get hanged up for a couple of days and the DIY mask goes into the washing machine.

Hang the face mask outside in the sun. Ultraviolet light kills viruses.

My approach, when going out under these circumstances, is to simply sanitise my hands before touching my face or handling my personal items like wallet, cellphone, and car keys. That way I hopefully kill whatever germs were on my hands before they get onto my face or personal items. I also sanitise my hands before touching high traffic surfaces such as an ATM keypad, so that I don't transfer germs that are already on my hands. When possible, I use a clean tissue as barrier when using things like keypads, doorhandles and taps. I also try to have my own pen with me to use for signing things that must be signed.

RedViking

Nord of the South
Hang the face mask outside in the sun. Ultraviolet light kills viruses.

My approach, when going out under these circumstances, is to simply sanitise my hands before touching my face or handling my personal items like wallet, cellphone, and car keys. That way I hopefully kill whatever germs were on my hands before they get onto my face or personal items. I also sanitise my hands before touching high traffic surfaces such as an ATM keypad, so that I don't transfer germs that are already on my hands. When possible, I use a clean tissue as barrier when using things like keypads, doorhandles and taps. I also try to have my own pen with me to use for signing things that must be signed.
I must say. My life will forever be changed because of this thing and how we approach public spaces.

suberbass

I must say. My life will forever be changed because of this thing and how we approach public spaces.
That seems a little counter intuitive , to change your live for a virus that has a mortality rate of less than 5%?

ForceFate

Honorary Master
That seems a little counter intuitive , to change your live for a virus that has a mortality rate of less than 5%?
The 5% can be anyone. There might be an underlying health issue you're not aware of. They say prevention is better than cure...

tin4444

Most of the world has temporarily changed their lives for a virus, yourself included, unless you essential services and even then you have still probably changed some things.

NarrowBandFtw

Honorary Master
everyone should just remember that Czech Republic has over decades proven to be insanely susceptible to a very peculiar outbreak spanning generations: pretty much every female they have suffers from the affliction of being hot AF ... thoughts and prayers for Czech Republic!