How to spot an illegally imported second-hand car in South Africa

How do they even get 20,000 cars through the border without getting caught?

I guess they must be bribing the cops with a **** ton of mieliepap.

skimread

Executive Member
All these guys say the price of the car is the warning sign. Are they mad? It's registered with enatis. Nothing else is wrong with the car. It is manufactured by VW.

The guy in one in one case was too stupid to ask for a price way too low. If he charged the normal price would SARS say hey you paid normal price so you can keep the car. Of course not. Such absurdity.

Arthur

Honorary Master

I've driven my cars across many Southern African borders and never once been asked for proof of ownership. Why on earth would the border cops ask for that, and why should they? Are you proposing that they do so? In my view that would be insane, and wrong.

creeper

Expert Member

Lesotho and Botswana use our ports to import 2nd hand vehicles from overseas for cheap as many countries want to get rid of them. However, the vehicles need to be transported through SA to the specific countries. Somewhere along the way, the vehicle gets offloaded and fraudulently registered. It’s been happening for years.

deweyzeph

Executive Member
I've driven my cars across many Southern African borders and never once been asked for proof of ownership. Why on earth would the border cops ask for that, and why should they?
It's the job of SARS custom officials to inspect all goods coming into and out of the country. Showing vehicle registration documents at border control is pretty normal.

Lesotho and Botswana use our ports to import 2nd hand vehicles from overseas for cheap as many countries want to get rid of them. However, the vehicles need to be transported through SA to the specific countries. Somewhere along the way, the vehicle gets offloaded and fraudulently registered. It’s been happening for years.
Thanks for explaining

Welcome To Africa. Of course it's bribery, where have you been the last 20yrs? :)
Fair enough

Zukat

Ok so if i price illegally imported car on par with the average retail, then there is no problem?! Thank you "experts" for your advise.

somnambulist

So if China drives on the right hand side of the road & therefore an imported China made vehicles would be Left Hand Drive. I smell factual B.S here... Only Japan made vehicles would be Right hand drive

Want to become a Billionaire?

Start a company in Botswana and buy these imported cars. "Rent to own" to South Africans. Vehicle is registered in your company name in Botswana and driving in SA for a fraction of the price. No more fines :D

I see loads of people in Zeerust with Botswana registered cars, problem though is you can't register it in SA (not that I'm aware of) So once you have paid it you still have to have an address in Botswana and keep on licensing it there.

creeper

Expert Member

Start a company in Botswana and buy these imported cars. "Rent to own" to South Africans. Vehicle is registered in your company name in Botswana and driving in SA for a fraction of the price. No more fines :D

I see loads of people in Zeerust with Botswana registered cars, problem though is you can't register it in SA (not that I'm aware of) So once you have paid it you still have to have an address in Botswana and keep on licensing it there.
Many Botswana car owners take their cars for a service in Zeerust.

Many Botswana car owners take their cars for a service in Zeerust.
Aware of that, we owned a farm there. LOADS of farmers themselves, driving luxury vehicles bought in Botswana at a fraction of the cost. Toyota Land Cruizers and Land Rover - Range Rovers are prime examples. They work the system though.

ArtyLoop

Expert Member

If that becomes available count me in.. Tired of paying rip-off prices here

deweyzeph

Executive Member
Aware of that, we owned a farm there. LOADS of farmers themselves, driving luxury vehicles bought in Botswana at a fraction of the cost. Toyota Land Cruizers and Land Rover - Range Rovers are prime examples. They work the system though.
Even down here in Cape Town I see tons of Botswana-registered SUV's.

Zoomzoom

Expert Member
Sheesh you know I must live in some super=protected little bubble. No-one ever offers me fake anything for sale.

Honey Badger

Honorary Master
I had a conversation with someone about SA car prices and he told me that you can get a Polo for 30k in Lesotho (he's from Lesotho). I didn't believe him at the time :)

Honey Badger

Honorary Master

Why? It's not like the traffic cop pulling you over is going to call the authorities in Bots to confirm that your car is still licensed :p