How to spot dodgy ATMs

Bradley Prior

MyBroadband Journalist
Staff member
Super Moderator
How to spot dodgy ATMs

There has been a significant increase in ATM card skimming across South Africa, according to South African Banking Risk Information Centre (SABRIC) acting CEO Susan Potgieter.

This type of crime involves criminals tampering with ATMs by inserting hardware into the card slot which clones the card data of the unsuspecting user.

elf_lord_ZC5

Executive Member
Yep!

Standard Bank persists with metal keys on their ATM's - awesome for those with a flirc infrared camera, some CAT cellphones even have one of these built in ... , awesome.

beans100

Honorary Master
How is it faster? You have to queue at tills. These days there are no queues at atm's.
lol. And the tills never have any cash on hand. "Sorry sir, I don't have a R100, but I might be able to help you with a 50....."

supersunbird

Honorary Master
Yep!

Standard Bank persists with metal keys on their ATM's - awesome for those with a flirc infrared camera, some CAT cellphones even have one of these built in ... , awesome.
Just run your fingers down over the pad after typing the pin?

Anyway, just tested it, said CAT phone does not register the short press of such a button, one needs to hold finger on button much longer for the heat transfer to occur.

elf_lord_ZC5

Executive Member
The more pressure you apply to the button, the more heat you transfer. There after, the heat starts to dissipate. Running your fingers over other keys, will not confuse a good operator.

supersunbird

Honorary Master
Anyway, if they (SABRIC ) were really worried about this, they would tell their members banks to roll out tap and pin at ATMs as quick as possible.

supersunbird

Honorary Master
The more pressure you apply to the button, the more heat you transfer. There after, the heat starts to dissipate. Running your fingers over other keys, will not confuse a good operator.
Well, not a good operator with a CAT but some other great hardware, holding finger tip down on cold metal surface barely registers a heat signature after 10 seconds of pressing.

satanboy

Psychonaut seven
Really have you seen the ATM queues on month end for example? Some of them are longer than the queue at home affairs.
I must go to very dodgy areas I guess. Never have queues.

ATM's I use:
Willowbridge mall (inside PnP)
Canal Walk mall
Tyger Valley mall

3WA

Executive Member
Press the other keys after your transaction is over.

In any case, I usually withdraw using WeChat Wallet which is much more convenient.

supersunbird

Honorary Master
Maybe other FLIRs are better at it, anyway, this guy claims it a attack vector, but then also offers the fix of holding your finger down on the other buttons. I see the buttons on the video are not metal, maybe rubber/plastic buttons are actually more susceptible?

elf_lord_ZC5

Executive Member
Anyway, if they (SABRIC ) were really worried about this, they would tell their members banks to roll out tap and pin at ATMs as quick as possible.
The banks did a risk study 25 years ago, which concluded that the risks where acceptable. They want to pay out maximum dividends to share holders, and do not see the need to spend money on updating that risk assessment. Besides, their clients pay up for any "losses" - so no worries on their side. They too big to worry about such minor issues, besides no one is likely to sue them, so they just shrug it off.