How to stop disappearing airtime on Vodacom

Jan

Who's the Boss?
Staff member
Vodacom disappearing airtime — what to look out for

MyBroadband Insights recently investigated disappearing airtime, finding that Vodacom subscribers lose airtime even when they do not use their phones.

To conduct the disappearing airtime test, MyBroadband used a Nokia 5 smartphone that runs close to the default version of Android.

op365

I have in the past showed them they billed me on my prepaid Sim for time when I was on a different call.

I made a call to number 1, after killing the call 10 minutes in called number 2 and spoke for 20 minutes. Was charged for 30 minutes on call 1 and 20 minutes for call 2...

Strange how when I threatened to report to MyB they changed their tune and credited me the 20 minutes for call 1...

I also had data disappear on my prepaid Sim that I have used for years - only to be told it was updates. I said BS and refuse now to buy data from Vodacom (use another vendor for data on my dual sim phone).

I can assure you that this is a common practice on Vodacom and not an "Android" issue

Ivanr

Expert Member
I can assure you that this is a common practice on Vodacom and not an "Android" issue
Never had this problem on "Windows 10 Mobile phone" Lumia 950XL but the App builders needed income so this " Android" Sh**t was pushed to make it the norm.

system32

Expert Member
Vodacom explained the disappearing airtime is partly because Android smartphones are able to use 4G mobile data even when the ‘mobile data’ setting is turned off.
Really?
I don't believe you (Vodacon) or Cell-C.
Android is open source - best Vodacom post some code showing an example of this API.
Perhaps MyBB could conduct a test with a dumb phone that does not have data capabilities.

Also, why does it only disappear on Vodacom & Cell-C.
MTN and Telkom not.

Last edited:

AstroTurf

Lucky Shot
No idea why but I have been experiencing the opposite for quite a few months now.

For some reason I keep getting 3GB Bonus data per month that rolls over...

I have a 1gb pm contract and currently have 6.97GB data.

marine1

Honorary Master
Really?
I don't believe you (Vodacon) or Cell-C.
Android is open source - best Vodacom post some code showing an example of this API.
Perhaps MyBB could conduct a test with a dumb phone that does not have data capabilities.

Also, why does it only disappear on Vodacom & Cell-C.
MTN and Telkom not.
Because they are and always have been unethical
.if you continue to give them money it's your own fault

Deathseeker

Vodacom has always been taking data and airtime. My mobile is set on location services as soon as I arrive at home it switches off my mobile data and switches on my wifi. Even when this happens when im only on wifi i will still get a message 2 hour later from vodacom stating that i have used myd ata and that i have less that a certain amound of data left. I have also checked to make sure that my phones speed improvement is witched off . The speed improvement is usually a fuction on some smart phones where if your device detect that wifi is slow the mobile will automatically use some of your mobike data to assist . This function was switched off and the same still happened. Also had an issue a few years ago where they billed me for 1 and 45min call and actuallh the call was only 45min ph9ned vodacom and the representative for vodacom argued with me and said it was a call for 1 hour and 45min . I had to send them a screen shot of my call history to proof to them that it was only 45min . Eventually they refunded me for the 1 hour they over charged me for the call.

Flanders

Honorary Master
They're sneaky.

Also, when you top up data on vodacom prepaid, you go through a few "are you sure" type options and the very last of which is a "would you like to add Rx amount for whatsapp/FB/insert app here". Very easy to accidentally tap yes as they obviously well know.

Muks

“We encourage customers to change their Data Limit Lock (DLL) to R0 as soon as they purchase a new prepaid SIM,” Vodacom said.

Shouldn't out of bundle charges be disabled by default per ICASA regulations?

Where an end-user does not opt-in to out-of-bundle data charge as per regulation 8B(1)(c) above, a Licensee must not permit any out-of-bundle data usage by an end-user until such time that an end-user purchases new data bundles or opt-in to out-of-bundle usage. -- source