How to stop family members from breaking remotes?

LazyLion

King of de Jungle
I keep begging my wife and kids to leave the remotes lying on the coffee table instead of putting it in their laps when they sit or lie on the couch. But no matter how much I beg, bribe, threaten, punish, etc.... we are still going through an enormous rate of remotes. They have broken about six remotes in the last two years. I just had to order a new Mede8er remote this morning cos the wife dropped it again last night smashing it to pieces on the tiled floor. I have threatened to duct tape them to the coffee table. I have banned them from watching TV, but that nearly started a war. Do you know anyone who makes padded covers for the remotes? :D

What do you guys do to protect your remotes? How many have you lost?

D3x!

Banned
wife shouldn't leave the kitchen in the first place :p

perhaps try putting it on a string that enables it not to be moved too far away from the table, such as the ones in the bank on the pens

biena

Executive Member
Simple really, just spit on it when someone is looking, nobdy but you would then want to touch it ! :sick:

AstroTurf

Lucky Shot
I just wrap my remotes in cling wrap then open up the transmitter at the front.

ttygt

Expert Member
Maybe put the smallest/thinnest cable tie you can around them, top and bottom before they start falling.

When they fall, they may remain intact.

I have seen people putting condoms over them, but that is more for spillage and dust.

The_Ogre

Honorary Master
Put in a carpet, or at the very least buy a few carpets and put them at the feet area of each couch . That way if you're lucky it'll drop on the carpet

bwana

MyBroadband
Super Moderator
Hide the remote. TVs have buttons and children/wives have fingers to press them with and legs to propel them in the right direction. :)

We watch 90% of our content via the computer and those plastic Apple remotes are virtually indestructible, plus we've got remote capabilities via wifi from my iPhone and iPad - which are both out of bounds.

Last edited:

ToxicBunny

Oi! Leave me out of this...
You should be able to get remote protectors from Game or places like that...

The_Unbeliever

Honorary Master
Buy one remote for yourself. Let them keep the broken ones.

After a while they'll get the message.

touch_stone

I hide the remotes away so only I have access to them.

I managaged to save lots of money this way but had to endure the wife nagging!

Edduck

Expert Member
Just get a thick pile carpet for in front of your tv couch to cushion a fall to the ground...

LazyLion

King of de Jungle
Just get a thick pile carpet for in front of your tv couch to cushion a fall to the ground...

Ja, um... you see if they are prone to dropping the remotes a lot... then they are also prone to dropping other stuff, crumbs, food, drink, etc.
That carpet would look pretty ratty in a week.

AstroTurf

Lucky Shot
on the right track, but I don't think cling wrap will help much when they are dropped on the floor.

We have tiles.
We also have 5 remotes.
Not lost one yet (as an added bonus the batteries don't go flying when you drop the remote and when it gets grubby just replace the clingwrap). Protects the buttons as well.

Budza

Executive Member
Buy one remote for yourself. Let them keep the broken ones.

After a while they'll get the message.

:D

Was going to suggest the same.

Break the remotes, use your feet...

Take it to work, and be the Remote King while home ;)

drukkie

Expert Member
Just buy an all in one remote...not the expensive ones....logitech at makro for R199....the black one...
programming is a charm...
one set of remotes to hide away.
one remote to rule them all.

and if it brakes....replace it...no phoning suppliers etc etc...