How to use an O/S directly from USB 3 flash disk ?

Hi all

I'm trying to find the best way to do the following.

After many years of working on my computer i find that what one eventually wants is a dual boot system but is there something better ?

The ideal scenario is to have a disk with windows and all my programs, not connected ever to the internet, this disk resides inside my pc. I can then solely use this disk for my dedicated software without the troubles of having (over time) all the unnecessary changes and updates downloaded without consent changing the performance of my pc (over time)

And then have a separate disk with an internet browser to download updated software be it freeware or purchased and using the web.
This disk must reside outside my pc so i can have full control over it (switching it on and off and connecting it when i want to.

Is there something like a mini operating system or is there a way to install an operating system on a USB 3.0 flashdisk
and boot from that flashdisk, using it only for internet browsing.

I don't want to configure a second disk for dual boot, i do not want 2 disks running all the time in my pc, and one not being used makes no sense.

Or Is there another way i have not thought about ?

Last edited:

op365

Have a look at Windows To Go (used it since Windows 8.1 days on various machines (including an Apple MacBook)) and also Rufus for setting up the USB sticks; and Neverware for DIY ChromeOS (for internet only).

riscbroker

Expert Member
Looks like you'll need Windows 10 Enterprise or Professional for this route.

Take a look at live Linux distributions that have a persistence option. Most of the recent distros will pick up all your hardware and you'll be running in a couple of minutes. Here are a few examples; there are many:

https://www.pcsuggest.com/best-linux-live-distro/

Last edited:

Spliffcat

Expert Member
Puppy Linux download iso.
Use Rufus to make usb bootable. Add puppy Linux to Usb.
Press F2 to change to usb boot on startup. Use Puppy for browsing etc.

Do i really need win 10 enterprise, i've read it can be done with any win10 copy just not sure how authentic the info is, by using a non microsoft usb o/s creator. Linux sounds awesome always has, but i never have had any luck getting my wifi adapter to work on it.

riscbroker

Expert Member
Maybe just get a USB Wi-Fi adapter that's known to work with Linux - R150 - R200. Then you don't have Windows licensing issues.

Jack Marlow

Honorary Master
Any live OS ISO will do. Live meaning you boot from the drive you install it to. Use Rufus to create the live bootable USB drive.

Personally I'd try Chrome OS out - should be zippy as a live USB 3 setup.

[video=youtube;sSalqgF7xqo]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sSalqgF7xqo[/video]

Last edited:
Maybe just get a USB Wi-Fi adapter that's known to work with Linux - R150 - R200. Then you don't have Windows licensing issues.
My wirelss adapter say it does work with linux, but when i install the drivers it detects the adapter and even sees the wifi connections, but when i connect to the router it doesn't work, it's like linux does not know how to handle the device.

Thanks riscbroker but I have now bought my 3rd wifi adapter, an tp-link archer 1200, is there a version of linux that allows me to install the driver like in windows ? ie just install the exe or setup file from the driver disk.

I don't know the commands to use in linux, (is there a windows interface type version) i just want to use an internet browser on linux for internet. thats all.

Last edited:
Any live OS ISO will do. Live meaning you boot from the drive you install it to. Use Rufus to create the live bootable USB drive.

Personally I'd try Chrome OS out - should be zippy as a live USB 3 setup.

[video=youtube;sSalqgF7xqo]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sSalqgF7xqo[/video]
Will this be good for browsing, will d/l speed be good ? I guess one will only be able to use chrome browser but that s fine, if so perhaps i should just forget linux and get this, where is the best place to download it i see some sites are offering it with their own bloatware built in.

Last edited:

riscbroker

Expert Member
My wirelss adapter say it does work with linux, but when i install the drivers it detects the adapter and even sees the wifi connections, but when i connect to the router it doesn't work, it's like linux does not know how to handle the device.

Thanks riscbroker but I have now bought my 3rd wifi adapter, an tp-link archer 1200, is there a version of linux that allows me to install the driver like in windows ? ie just install the exe or setup file from the driver disk.

I don't know the commands to use in linux, (is there a windows interface type version) i just want to use an internet browser on linux for internet. thats all.
What Linux distribution are you using? Have you tried Puppy Linux? If it doesn't want to work with Puppy they have a pretty active forum to help you out.

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/

i tried Ubuntu, i just finished downloading chrome os, i will now get puppy linux too and see which one will work best thanks, alternatively, perhaps i should burn my old copy of xp or win 7 as a usb O/S, but will first try the ones mentioned, will report back when it's done thanks.

ok i tried installing chrome o/s using etcher and rufus to no avail. It either creates like 10 partitions on my usb drive and not booting up and etcher renders my usb drive useless, either way i always end up having to reformat the flashdisk, any other software i could try, i'm trying to burn CARMOS-20180514010101.img onto the flashdisk (this is the chrome OS image)

gamer16

Expert Member
I use Ubuntu on a 2.0 flash disk just as a way to rescue Windows when things go bad. Its slow but certainly useful, on a 3.0 Flashdisk it should be great. There are many guides that explain how to set it up with persistence.

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
ok i tried installing chrome o/s using etcher and rufus to no avail. It either creates like 10 partitions on my usb drive and not booting up and etcher renders my usb drive useless, either way i always end up having to reformat the flashdisk, any other software i could try, i'm trying to burn CARMOS-20180514010101.img onto the flashdisk (this is the chrome OS image)
I would rather use Neverware than go directly to ChromeOS which is more of an in-dev option.

https://www.neverware.com/#introtext-3