How to wind an Edge Trimmer cable`

ColinR

Expert Member
How to wind an Edge Trimmer cable

I can't find the "cartridges" for my Ryobi trimmer, so I'm left with the cable, and an empty cartridge, I know I need to wind the thing so that the two ends unwind evenly from both sides.

How is this possible? :confused:

Last edited:

Kalvaer

Expert Member
Find the middle of the cable, and start wrapping at the same time from both sides?

ColinR

Expert Member
You must be right, its a very daunting task with the length of cable, but perhaps I'm being a chonker, let me cut off a 2 metre srip, and give it a go. How bad can it be.

How many programmers does it take to wind a trimmer cable?

Hogrod

Expert Member
My weekend was destroyed by trying to refill my Ryobi trimmer. I went insane as it kept unwinding as I was winding it up.

The only way I worked it out was to cut two equal lengths of cable out.
Then for the first cable just wound it around the cartridge and used my finger to hold the end in place so it won't unwind. As you wind more cable around, keep it tight, and eventually you can remove your finger from holding the end and just keep winding. Keep it tight.

Once that's done I use some tape to hold the loose end in place, so it does not unwind while I repeated the process for the second set of cable.

Make sure when winding the second set of cable, that you're winding it in the same direction as the first cable. Or else when you ask for more cable while trimming it wont unwind properly.

Once that's all done get ready to load it, take the tape off holding the two loose ends and attach it to the trimmer, making sure that it does not unwind while feeding the loose ends into the holes on the cartridge cover.

It's a mission, and I think I made life more difficult by buying replacement cable that is too thick in diameter.

I'm about to use Google to find some answers, apparently you can fold the line in half and wind both sections of cable at the same time.

The_Unbeliever

Honorary Master
n00bs :p

With my edge trimmer I do it as follows :

1. Locate the two holes in the cartridge, and thread the cable through it so that both lengths are of equal length.

2. Then pull the cables out of the feeder holes, and tie the end to a stationary object (such as your wife, lamp post, or sleeping dog).

3. Then you start winding the cable back on the spindle through the two feeder holes.

It takes a while, but it works for me. And it's an unknown brand of edge trimmer (my dad gave it to me).

Hogrod

Expert Member

1. Locate the two holes in the cartridge, and thread the cable through it so that both lengths are of equal length.

2. Then pull the cables out of the feeder holes, and tie the end to a stationary object (such as your wife, lamp post, or sleeping dog).

3. Then you start winding the cable back on the spindle through the two feeder holes.

It takes a while, but it works for me. And it's an unknown brand of edge trimmer (my dad gave it to me).
Oh my goodness... That sounds so good I'm desperate to get home and try that out. Thanks, you genius!!!

EDIT: Hang on I don't have two holes in the cartridge as in point 1. I'm screwed

Last edited:

The_Unbeliever

Honorary Master
A note - some edge trimmers might have a couple of calibration holes so you can see what the thickness gauge of your cable is.

ColinR

Expert Member

Brilliant!!!! But please explain step 1 :eek::D Seriously!

Do you mean feed the cable through both holes, so that basically the cartridge is in the middle of the cable, with both holes threaded?

The_Unbeliever

Honorary Master
Brilliant!!!! But please explain step 1 :eek::D Seriously!

Do you mean feed the cable through both holes, so that basically the cartridge is in the middle of the cable, with both holes threaded?
No, the cable doesn't pass twice through the same hole.

Some cartridges have two small holes (which are NOT the feeder holes) somewhere on its bottom, and the feeder holes on the side.

I'll take some photos and post them up. Easier than trying to explain :D