How Vodacom, MTN can kill the value of mobile VoIP services

elvis_presley

Expert Member
Oh and please consider how Multichoice is allowed to Block Programs over the Internet that they show on the Satellite Platform.( Before you ASK - they do this by asking the supplier to block all downloads and viewing from South african IP's ) they have been doing it for a while now. Complaints been sent nothing done by DOC or ICASA.

Can you elaborate on this? It's a bit vague and I've never heard of that happening!

Petec

Expert Member
Why do you think there is no PTT on cells on the same node, here?
It costs them ZERO to carry, transfer that traffic, but they can't let that stone go unsqueezed.

Gulio

Banned
Why do you think there is no PTT on cells on the same node, here?
It costs them ZERO to carry, transfer that traffic, but they can't let that stone go unsqueezed.

We had PTT. Nobody used it.
Do phones today still support it?

CeeBee

Expert Member
I think a lot of you are missing the point.
Data and VoIP are not classed the same on an operators NW.
Data = best effort;
VoIP = Guaranteed Service (GBR)
Speaking for myself, I am happy to accept Skype and other VOIP service to be on "best effort" just like any other data transfers. And then accept the same cost as other data.

If it happens to not work at an acceptable level, I will either choose a different option, or ask for 'special' VOIP connection, and be prepared to pay a premium.

I don't really believe in the networks promising "guaranteed service"...

koeks525

Expert Member
I have heard of Vodacom and MTN charging higher rates for VOIP (R25 per MB and R10 per MB). Does Cell C not have its own VOIP charge? I'm trying to wonder, would the masses of people in this country jump to using VOIP or will it be just the small number of people??

phoneJunky

Executive Member
I do believe in the discussion on the other article about this, someone posted the latest MTN T&C's off a current contract, and the VoIP price clause wasn't there. - http://mybroadband.co.za/vb/showthr...R25-per-MB?p=12268570&viewfull=1#post12268570

So yeah, misleading and not properly researched. Can't REALLY say I'm surprised, and I'm even less surprised by forumites leaping to the same conclusions as the article writer.

I read their new contract post CPA and they don't mention it, but the one I signed in 2009 definitely had the VoIP clause in. But they also refer to a few places in that contract, so it might still be in there somewhere.

The post you linked to only list the rewrite of clauses since CPA so it isn't the full T&C's. The fact that MyBB could find it either suggest that it is still in there or that they have an older contract with them.

Edit: Just found this from 2012 here on mybb

http://mybroadband.co.za/news/cellular/48246-voip-banning-threat-removed-but.html

elvis_presley

Expert Member
Netflix etc is not allowed in SA. I think that is what he is refering to.

I figured he might, but that was also a badly reported and understood issue that had nothing to do with what he mentioned - perhaps he only read the initial articles, and no follow-ups which explained what's really happening.

icyrus

Executive Member
Before DSTV got a Comedy Central channel we could watch their shows on the CC website. Since DSTV got the channel they have requested CC to block all South African IPs from accessing their media.

Gulio

Banned
Good find - so to summarize, MTN officially commented on this 2 years ago, saying that clause is out and they don't plan to charge extra for VoIP in the future.

Talk about a storm in a teacup! TERRIBLE reporting.

I have heard of Vodacom and MTN charging higher rates for VOIP (R25 per MB and R10 per MB). Does Cell C not have its own VOIP charge? I'm trying to wonder, would the masses of people in this country jump to using VOIP or will it be just the small number of people??

Rumours and conspiracy as I stated before...

Voice will never fall away completely, its still the better quality option(unless you on Cell C) like SMS and Whatsapp, SMS becomes cheaper and people still use it.

jannievanzyl

Telecoms expert
Can you please elaborate on Vodacom charging R10/MB for VoIP? Never heard of it, myself.

phoneJunky

Executive Member
Good find - so to summarize, MTN officially commented on this 2 years ago, saying that clause is out and they don't plan to charge extra for VoIP in the future.

Talk about a storm in a teacup! TERRIBLE reporting.

Well not exactly. The didn't say that it is R25/MB just that MTN have filed for R25/MB again at Icasa.

MTN has filed the rate of R25 per Megabyte (MB) for VoIP traffic, while Vodacom has filed a rate of R10/MB.

I said it was, because that was what was in my contract in 2009. Looks like MTN is trying to get the rate back.

elvis_presley

Expert Member
Before DSTV got a Comedy Central channel we could watch their shows on the CC website. Since DSTV got the channel they have requested CC to block all South African IPs from accessing their media.

That's a reach. Regional exclusion is so common all over the world on all content providers' sites, painting DSTV as the boogeyman in this case is pushing it.

elvis_presley

Expert Member
Well not exactly. The didn't say that it is R25/MB just that MTN have filed for R25/MB again at Icasa.

I didn't see an "again" part - I read that as it was their original filing way back when, almost a decade ago. Article isn't clear whether those are the original filings, the results of which which have since been removed from T&C's, or they removed the T&C's, and have now re-filed the same rates they filed 8 years ago (which doesn't make sense).

Last edited:

Petec

Expert Member
That's a reach. Regional exclusion is so common all over the world on all content providers' sites, painting DSTV as the boogeyman in this case is pushing it.

We paint them as the boogeyman because they are a protected monopoly and they cry foul and bemoan low profits etc, the second some alternative to them arises - legal, illegal or fantastical.

The same goes for the leaders in this article... They all need to wake up and realize that technology and data transmission systems and methods are rapidly changing and that affects their outdated business models.

But, instead of trying to work with emerging game changers or actually coming up with something innovative (actually listeneing to their clients), they are using their legacy political clout and monopoly to throw barriers in the path of true innovation and data transmission development.

This is not unique to SA of course, but what makes it hard here IS the fact that these guys have very little in the way of true competition.

Slightly off topic, but look at Barclays financial results a couple of years ago. In the world banking crisis they were happier than most, because they got a very nice financial boost from their ties with ABSA here.

As always, we get royally shafted here. And if we dialogue about it, we are labeled whiners and typically South African.

Allin

Expert Member
Nice profiling, chip on your shoulder?
Ex Vodacom employee? I think you are.

You shouldn't "think", it is clearly NOT one of your strong points.
PS. the closest I've ever been to Vodacom was a few contracts with them.

Gulio

Banned
We paint them as the boogeyman because they are a protected monopoly and they cry foul and bemoan low profits etc, the second some alternative to them arises - legal, illegal or fantastical.

The same goes for the leaders in this article... They all need to wake up and realize that technology and data transmission systems and methods are rapidly changing and that affects their outdated business models.

But, instead of trying to work with emerging game changers or actually coming up with something innovative (actually listeneing to their clients), they are using their legacy political clout and monopoly to throw barriers in the path of true innovation and data transmission development.

This is not unique to SA of course, but what makes it hard here IS the fact that these guys have very little in the way of true competition.

Slightly off topic, but look at Barclays financial results a couple of years ago. In the world banking crisis they were happier than most, because they got a very nice financial boost from their ties with ABSA here.

As always, we get royally shafted here. And if we dialogue about it, we are labeled whiners and typically South African.

When hve they ever failed to keep up to date with technology?
Why do you even believe they are slower to adapt to the market demands?

Apart from pricing which might be your only gripe, your understanding of the sector is flawed.
The prep work is already available, when the market demands it, its provided.

Gulio

Banned
You shouldn't "think", it is clearly NOT one of your strong points.
PS. the closest I've ever been to Vodacom was a few contracts with them.

Your dislike must stem from something other than pricing...