How Vodacom, MTN can kill the value of mobile VoIP services

Petec

Expert Member
@ Gulio
So you are saying that our cell phone providers, television providers, music providers , ie all forms of data (voice, internet, digital, music, movies etc) are technically cutting edge and completely on par with the rest of the world? This includes their roll-out over the last 20 years.
This would also include their pricing models of course. As this is half of what this article is about...
So you say we also pay proportionate prices for said technology?

Last edited:

Petec

Expert Member
This is a mate of mine overseas. This is what they get to play with out there in the real world.

He was b1tching at his ping tho :)

6250567968.jpg

elvis_presley

Expert Member
We paint them as the boogeyman because they are a protected monopoly and they cry foul and bemoan low profits etc, the second some alternative to them arises - legal, illegal or fantastical.

Yes. That's why I said "in this case". Multichoice does a lot wrong, but
a) everything they do isn't bad
b) everything bad that happens isn't their fault

Petec

Expert Member
This is what a mate of mine in the real world is running...

"i pay 80 euros to have phone (unlimited call to my country 24h/day and 50 other countries 12h/day) + 100 Mbps dload/10 Mbps upl + 170 tv channels + 2 cell phones with unlimited calls to all cell companies and landline phones in my country.

If its without the cell phones the cost is 41 euros for tel+tv+net 30 Mbps or 51 euros for having 100 Mbps.

all the above options are for fiber optics connection, right to my home - none of those so called fiber optic connections that use coax cables :)

If u want just internet, the cost is 30 euros for 30 Mbps and 40 euros for 100 Mbps. fiber optics, ofc"

Gulio

Banned
This is what a mate of mine in the real world is running...

"i pay 80 euros to have phone (unlimited call to my country 24h/day and 50 other countries 12h/day) + 100 Mbps dload/10 Mbps upl + 170 tv channels + 2 cell phones with unlimited calls to all cell companies and landline phones in my country.

If its without the cell phones the cost is 41 euros for tel+tv+net 30 Mbps or 51 euros for having 100 Mbps.

all the above options are for fiber optics connection, right to my home - none of those so called fiber optic connections that use coax cables :)

If u want just internet, the cost is 30 euros for 30 Mbps and 40 euros for 100 Mbps. fiber optics, ofc"

How much does would he pay for a pack of cigarettes? Tank of fuel and other taxes?

Barge

the operators cannot be too worried, they also charge you data fees when you receive a voip call, not just when you make one.

xera

Expert Member
Now that Whatsapp voice calling is being rolled out, I am interested to see if they start charging R36/MB for VOIP!

RichardG

Honorary Master
Now that Whatsapp voice calling is being rolled out, I am interested to see if they start charging R36/MB for VOIP!

Free advice use WhatsApp voice calling on prepaid. Peace of mind is better than getting a huge OOB bill