How well do you get along with your neighbours?

How well do you get along with your neighbours?

• Very well / genuine friendship

Votes: 65 18.2%
  • Amicable

Votes: 184 51.4%
  • Not as well as I'd like

Votes: 36 10.1%
  • About as well as the Hatfields and McCoys

Votes: 31 8.7%
  • I don't have neighbours

Votes: 11 3.1%
  • Other

Votes: 31 8.7%

• Total voters

ebendl

Expert Member
I have 5, including the lady across the street:
- The lady next to me is a lawyer and we get along well (luckily!) -- I even went and mowed her lawn during the lockdown.
- The lady across the street is fine, we get along well enough. They do tend to park their cars on my sidewalk often but oh well.
- The one family next to is fine, we don't talk more than we need to but don't mind one another much. We had to replace the wall between us -- mutual agreement to pay 50-50 which luckily worked out fine.
- One family behind me I have not yet met -- they're fairly new.

- One lady behind me is a total crazy lunatic. I've never met her husband -- she might have killed him for all that I know. She's nosy, tends to look over the wall whenever she wants, complains when I cut down trees/plants on my side (because it spoils her view), have complained about my kids' birthday parties on a Saturday afternoon, have complained about the Telkom guy installing fiber (the pole is unfortunately in her yard). When the fiber guy come back 3 weeks later, she gave him cooldrink.

At multiple times she pitched up at random times to complain about something in person -- once about our dog barking (she said that she felt we mistreated the dog by keeping her outside, but also that she would shoot the dog if the barking continued), once about the trees we removed (that were pushing up the wall). She has taken her neighbor to court (she lost) and has probably driven out her other neighbour. She has complained to the lawyer-neighbour of mine too, who luckily told her to get lost (and are now better friends with us subsequently).

To be honest, the lady is probably not fit for society and probably does have mental issues, but somehow I imagine she will stay in this place until the day she dies (hopefully she can't rise from the dead...)

eg2505

Honorary Master
get along terribly with them,
during lockdown was a total nightmare, played loud music at 2AM, and walked around Drunk,

then had loud and obnoxious and disrespectful Kids who walk around trying to peep through curtains and cause chaos,

will move eventually, but not before I play some loud music at 2AM of my own to annoy them.

pinball wizard

Honorary Master
get along terribly with them,
during lockdown was a total nightmare, played loud music at 2AM, and walked around Drunk,

then had loud and obnoxious and disrespectful Kids who walk around trying to peep through curtains and cause chaos,

will move eventually, but not before I play some loud music at 2AM of my own to annoy them.
Castleview Slums?

gertvanjoe

Expert Member
The ones to my right I hardly see, I know what car they drive and that's about it, the ones on my yard (renting out house and staying in on site extra house I get along really well with, their son and his cousin which also stays there (both in early 20s and can't find job are really helpful if I need hands, no need to source strangers for odd jobs). The ones to my left are sweet old people but I dread seeing the Tannie as she really talks to much.

I do have a problem with the ones behind me on the left, they are really noisy party animals. I have proceeded to install a "water feature" in that corner with a fountain shooting up. If they don't quiet down after 2am, I enjoy the peace and tranquility only a high pressure jet fountain can offer, switchable from my bedside with a mere non latching button. They hate me I guess, but that's ok

Brian_G

Expert Member
Another nice neighbour story for anyone bored...

One day our bin disappeared from the pavement. Asked everyone, including a neighbour 3 houses a way, no luck - but a week later he put the fulled bloody thing on his pavement!
He then claimed he had saved the bin for us as it was getting late.

Didn't call the cops, what's the point.

moklet

Expert Member
Don't know them at all, only know that I receive frequent cricket balls in my driveway, which I used to throw back, now I treat them as gifts, seeing that they put a nice net up to protect their house but don't care about my property. So as far as i am concerned they are aso's

konfab

Honorary Master
The two neighbours on either side of us are very nice.

Our neighbour behind us though is one of the trustees, and is a complete b!tch. I go out my way to spite her by calming the baby right next to her wall.

The_Donkey

Honorary Master
Neighbours have keys and passcodes to enter my property at will. I have the same for their properties.

We have a shared CCTV and notification system amongst us. Trust is something that we need nowadays. Don't be naai eve though.
That is our arrangement with our one neighbour as well (as I pointed out earlier). We each have a set of each other's housekeys and each other's alarm codes.

Statistically the odds are slim that both of our households will be out at exactly the same time if something happens on either of our properties.

Rickster

EVGA Fanatic
Best neighbors are ones you never hear or see.

But im guessing we are the bad neighbors, we have this big stupid old dog, barks at everyone that passes and goes crazy when the garbage truck comes, then the little dogs chime in.

Itsa Trap

Well aside from the odd nod, I don't bother them, and they do not bother me. In fact I know basically f-all about them, and like it that way.

marco79

Expert Member
I moved into a new place 2 months ago. I think I might have seen 1 or 2 of my neighbours once. I know I greeted my opposite neighbour when I put the dirt out recently.

gbyleveldt

Lockdown would have suuuuuucked if it wasn't for all our neighbours. In fact, lockdown brought pretty much most of our street together. Even before lockdown we kuiered many weekends. Xmas eve started out with everyone in the street waiting on the pavement for the Xmas bus to come past. We eventually got together in front of one driveway and kuiered till early xmas morning. Many of us guys even had an awesome hunting trip this season

This street is the major reason many of us will not easily move elsewhere. Being close knit like this is very rare.