How would you solve the problem of internet banking and SIM-swap fraud?

supersunbird

Honorary Master
I would use an encryption software like bit locker for the sim cards. Or something similar. OR put a smart chip in everyones wrist!
And that will solve SIM swap fraud how? And prevent the One Time Pin being sent to that fraudulently acquired SIM how?

Curious to learn.

vic777

Expert Member
I would use an encryption software like bit locker for the sim cards. Or something similar. OR put a smart chip in everyones wrist!
SIM cards already have encryption, that is not the problem. Criminals don't hack the SIM or access sensitive data on the SIM. The problem is that banks don't all detect SIM swaps.

terryn9002

Firstly I am with Capitec Bank and Telkom Mobile. I have not had any problems with either.

I use the banking app which does not use OTP or sms verification.

But if I do realise something is up I would contact my bank imidiately. They are very helpfull and I am sure they will be able to reverse any fruadulent transactions.

AlphaJohn

Executive Member
Firstly I am with Capitec Bank and Telkom Mobile. I have not had any problems with either.

I use the banking app which does not use OTP or sms verification.

But if I do realise something is up I would contact my bank imidiately. They are very helpfull and I am sure they will be able to reverse any fruadulent transactions.
The app use TOTP+HOTP, its just in the background. When it asks you for a pin on transaction it sends the OTP to via HTTPS instead of letting you type it in on the ste. You can see this in action when you have no internet on your phone and have to generate the code.

encrypted

Capitec have the dongle/app.
FNB is slowly moving everything to the APP.

Absa/Std are so crap it doesn't really matter..

Rouxenator

Dank meme lord
What you guys seem to forget is that SIM swap fraud is only used for getting access to people's bank accounts. It can be much bigger than that.

If your SIM is swapped and then used to call in a bomb threat to parilment, to set off a cellphone bomb, or to download child pr0n, or any other illegal activities YOU will be guilty of it. The subscriber identity module is directly linked to you. This is identity theft.

SykomantiS

Expert Member
If sms has to be used, and there is no other way, how about a csp?

A request for the customer selected pin is sent to the device (this pin different from the login credentials and atm pin) and only after a valid reply, send the otp.

So you'd have a username, password and csp in order to log in, the csp being used to verify before an otp is sent.