How you can cancel your TV licence

Swa

Honorary Master
Best argument in the room boys and girls. By that logic you should also only pay for the specific roads you drive on, the police when you need it, same goes for the fire department, and let’s not forget that you should obviously only pay for the infrastructure that you personally use when you see fit.

Thing is you have the option to turn on the radio or the TV at any time and that’s what you’re paying for. You don’t need to make any playlists, download music, stream music and you even get some live news and traffic info. Not a bad deal for less than R0.73 per day.
So by your logic you must pay for something you don't use at all?

You do know you pay for when you actually use the roads and for how much you use them? Also the fire department bills you when you use them so dumb example. I'm also used to only pay for infrastructure I use. If I don't use water or electricity I don't pay for it. I don't pay for the Vuma fibre outside my house just because it's available. I don't pay Vodacom when I don't use them. I don't pay Telkom when I don't use them. I pay Cell C because I actually do use them.

Literally almost everything works the opposite way you say it does so what's your argument here?

Mampara

Anything run by government is fckd up. The old dinasours cadres only know of stealing money. They play crap on TV with no international sports. Only catering for the majority who can't pay

mypetcow

So by your logic you must pay for something you don't use at all?

You do know you pay for when you actually use the roads and for how much you use them? Also the fire department bills you when you use them so dumb example. I'm also used to only pay for infrastructure I use. If I don't use water or electricity I don't pay for it. I don't pay for the Vuma fibre outside my house just because it's available. I don't pay Vodacom when I don't use them. I don't pay Telkom when I don't use them. I pay Cell C because I actually do use them.

Literally almost everything works the opposite way you say it does so what's your argument here?

If my memory serves me correctly I mentioned exactly what it is you pay for and it not for “something you don’t use at all”.
Thing is you have the option to turn on the radio or the TV at any time and that’s what you’re paying for.

That was my point. You’re paying for the public good, the option to turn on the TV or radio if you or your family, friends or enemies choose to do so.
Just like you have the option to drive somewhere where you’ve never been to yet and find a road there that you can use.
Regarding my dumb example, last time I checked the fire department will not bill you in the case of a car accident or emergency if they are needed.

If you choose to not pay less than R0.73 cents per day for the TV license, no worries, you can opt out and not pay it. Your choice.

TEXTILE GUY

Honorary Master
Best argument in the room boys and girls. By that logic you should also only pay for the specific roads you drive on, the police when you need it, same goes for the fire department, and let’s not forget that you should obviously only pay for the infrastructure that you personally use when you see fit.

Thing is you have the option to turn on the radio or the TV at any time and that’s what you’re paying for.
You don’t need to make any playlists, download music, stream music and you even get some live news and traffic info. Not a bad deal for less than R0.73 per day.

Already pay TAX for those things ...... now I must pay MORE ..... no thanks.

As for paying for the option of .............. the toll road debacle was explained away by offering a free alternative, for which we had ALREADY PAID ...... so where is the "FREE" radio option for which I have PAID with my tax?

Sorry buddy, but your logic makes no sense at all, well to me anyway.

wingnut771

Honorary Master
If my memory serves me correctly I mentioned exactly what it is you pay for and it not for “something you don’t use at all”.

That was my point. You’re paying for the public good, the option to turn on the TV or radio if you or your family, friends or enemies choose to do so.
Just like you have the option to drive somewhere where you’ve never been to yet and find a road there that you can use.
Regarding my dumb example, last time I checked the fire department will not bill you in the case of a car accident or emergency if they are needed.

If you choose to not pay less than R0.73 cents per day for the TV license, no worries, you can opt out and not pay it. Your choice.
Think you meant to say looting.

mypetcow

Already pay TAX for those things ...... now I must pay MORE ..... no thanks.

As for paying for the option of .............. the toll road debacle was explained away by offering a free alternative, for which we had ALREADY PAID ...... so where is the "FREE" radio option for which I have PAID with my tax?

Sorry buddy, but your logic makes no sense at all, well to me anyway.

So it’s all good then. If you don’t see value in having the option to use the services then it’s all good. Opt out.

wingnut771

Honorary Master
So it’s all good then. Since the SABC isn’t included in your tax you need to pay for the option to use its services. If you don’t want to it’s all good. Opt out.
and pay R300 per year, no thanks. Prefer the never to opt in in the first place option.

Swa

Honorary Master

And I posted exactly how it does not work that way in the real world. I do not pay for the option to use something, I only pay when I actually DO use it. Sorry but I don't do public good just because. I can drive where I want to because it is my God given freedom to do so, but some day the government will try to tax that as well. And yes if you call the fire department because your house is on fire or somebody else does so they can bill you. It's not a free service but one you actually pay for when you use it.

wingnut771

Honorary Master
And I posted exactly how it does not work that way in the real world. I do not pay for the option to use something, I only pay when I actually DO use it. Sorry but I don't do public good just because. I can drive where I want to because it is my God given freedom to do so, but some day the government will try to tax that as well. And yes if you call the fire department because your house is on fire or somebody else does so they can bill you. It's not a free service but one you actually pay for when you use it.
Fire department costs should be covered by the exorbitant rates we pay imho.

mypetcow

and pay R300 per year, no thanks. Prefer the never to opt in in the first place option.
I completely understand. An opt in may possibly be better too. Kind of like DSTV or Netflix. No pay no play. Heck the government could increase everyone’s income tax by a few rands and drop the TV license and boom, nobody would even notice. The possibilities are endless. We wouldn’t even have this discussion then.

Your best bet would probably be to write a firmly worded letter to a minister to voice your opinion if you actually want change, which would then in turn have to be tabled in some committee, voted on, approved and finally at some point gazetted. I imagine it’s ideally quite the lengthy and laborious process. If nobody complains to people in charge with policy how are these people supposed to know that’s it’s not a great solution. The MyBB forum will not change government policy or any laws no matter how much you disagree with me. Until then you’ll probably just have to put up with opting out.

Cactus

I completely understand. An opt in may possibly be better too. Kind of like DSTV or Netflix. No pay no play. Heck the government could increase everyone’s income tax by a few rands and drop the TV license and boom, nobody would even notice. The possibilities are endless. We wouldn’t even have this discussion then.

Snip
No. Just, no. Rather kill the SABC?

xrapidx

Honorary Master
Question - if a TV only has a digital tuner - do you need a TV license?