How you can get fibre installed in your complex

RobotWizard

What can I do if I'm renting from a rental agency in a complex that only has Vodacom fibre but there is Open Serve at the complex right next door? It looks like when building the complex the HOA or Body Corporate signed some or other contact to have Vodacom in the whole complex, so it looks like they have sole mandate. I have tried calling ISPs like RSAWEB and Afrihost, but they couldn't help me.

I would really be happy to be able to use Open Serve instead one day as I can get double to line speed for the same price.

Have any of you guys had a similar experience or perhaps know what I could do?

elf_lord_ZC5

Executive Member
[QUOTE="RobotWizard, post: 25672495, member: 445750"
Have any of you guys had a similar experience or perhaps know what I could do?
[/QUOTE]

I would suggest that you contact the rental agency, explain your situation, and try find out who the trustees are and or who the managment agency is, and speak to them. Ask them what the situation is, and if it might be possible to get openserve fiber into the complex. They may or may not be amenable you helping you, depending on the situation.

elf_lord_ZC5

Executive Member
There is still a lot of complexes, who do not have fiber, past them, our complex is 300 meters from one corner, and about the same from another corner, and that is as close as it gets.

• Sad
Reactions: Yuu

Nurple Derple

Honorary Master
There is still a lot of complexes, who do not have fiber, past them, our complex is 300 meters from one corner, and about the same from another corner, and that is as close as it gets.
That shouldn't be an issue, depending the number, layout and density of the homes in your complex.

lordnokon

We are 140 houses in our street (Centurion), out that 140, 120 people/houses have shown interest of waiting to obtain fibre. NO Fibre provider to which I've submitted documentation wants to help/interested.

DFA/Vodacom/Liquid all have sleeves running in the street...

elf_lord_ZC5

Executive Member
That shouldn't be an issue, depending the number, layout and density of the homes in your complex.

My thoughts as well, in both instances the fiber is Openserve.

Our managing agent gave me a Sefan Maritz chappie to contact. Apparently he repped for SADV, his e-mail bounces, too many hops, and his cellphone goes unanswered.

My email to Frogfoot at least got a reply, even to it did not have any promise or information of value. Telkom have not answered, neither have SADV, maybe not right addresses. I don't know. Our street and the street above, are all complexes and 4 or 5 houses.

wbot

Executive Member
They installed fibre in our complex all throughout the lockdowns. All units. Our complex didn't have lockdown

• Wow

elf_lord_ZC5

Executive Member
They installed fibre in our complex all throughout the lockdowns. All units. Our complex didn't have lockdown

Anyone who will put open fiber into our complex and I suspect, the other 30 odd complexes in our street, and the one above would be welcome. Lock down or not.

Ashez7

This is interesting the complex il be moving to has vodacom and octotel only .

Were im staying now i have vumatel with webafrica and webafrica has an option were you can migrate your line to your new home but in the new complex there is no vumatel.

Plus it seems vumatel is more affordable than octotel/vodacom .

wbot

Executive Member
Anyone who will put open fiber into our complex and I suspect, the other 30 odd complexes in our street, and the one above would be welcome. Lock down or not.
We didn't even know we're getting fibre. People just woke up one morning to see workers standing in their gardens. One lady called the police because she thought they were criminals. Our neighbouring complex also got fibre. Same company

Kevin Charleston

I'd strongly recommend avoiding Telkom's Gated Community Services if possible. A 4+ year struggle to get the last of 400-odd fiber connections installed into our estate. As a trustee who inherited the project - driving it to completion has been painful.

But this is not a simple matter. This is not just the HOA or BC signing up. Communities often already have communications infrastructures in place - and want services like intercom / security to be able to run over the same fiber. Which often means every single residence needs to have fiber installed.

elf_lord_ZC5

Executive Member
Well, SADV where going to put in fiber, then fell off the bus somewhere, each unit would have gotten a connection point, as well as one for the complexes security system.

Nurple Derple

Honorary Master
My thoughts as well, in both instances the fiber is Openserve.

Our managing agent gave me a Sefan Maritz chappie to contact. Apparently he repped for SADV, his e-mail bounces, too many hops, and his cellphone goes unanswered.

My email to Frogfoot at least got a reply, even to it did not have any promise or information of value. Telkom have not answered, neither have SADV, maybe not right addresses. I don't know. Our street and the street above, are all complexes and 4 or 5 houses.
Check the Cool Ideas website interface pretty handy in finding smaller fibre network operators perhaps you can have better luck with one of them.

Dreamer

We already have fibre in our complex but the managing agents and trustees require an installation plan/diagram before installation happens from the fibre junction box into my home. The installation guys were out on Tuesday but i still dont have a diagram ... the wait is killing me:(

BeerIsNotGood...

Executive Member
We already have fibre in our complex but the managing agents and trustees require an installation plan/diagram before installation happens from the fibre junction box into my home. The installation guys were out on Tuesday but i still dont have a diagram ... the wait is killing me:(
Where do you live?