How Zoltan Miklos slashed his electricity bill

The_Traveller

Expert Member
Inb4 the 1C comments start and certain guys gonna start promoting Chubble / Hubble.

Miklos also seems to have only gone half way with his solar project.

ebendl

Expert Member
I'm guessing this is supposed to say 5000W. A bit sad to have that system and only run critical stuff up to 500W.

With the interventions above, Miklos’ battery backup can support critical load requirements of less than 500W, including an energy-efficient fridge, lights, TV, decoder, fibre ONT and Wi-Fi router.

The_Traveller

Expert Member
I'm guessing this is supposed to say 5000W. A bit sad to have that system and only run critical stuff up to 500W.
Don't think many people run more than 500w as backup, especially not with a small (solar) system like what is mentioned in article.

TheChamp

Honorary Master
The system can certainly support way more than 500W, I'll assume the solar panels are at least 300W each, for 8 of them it would be 2400W.

For a tech forum MyBb really falls short when it comes to such articles.

Last edited:

BigBear

Expert Member
The system can certainly support way more than 500W, I assume the solar panels are at least 300W each, for 8 of them it would be 2400W.

For a tech forum MyBb really falls short when it comes to such articles.

Even get 400-500W Solar panels now.

500W Critical load meaning battery only ie. Plugs, Lights, TV, Laptop etc.

A 5 kW load on even 10 kwh of batteries will drain them very quickly also not ideal for the batteries life cycle.

Ours barely last 30min to an hour maybe, main thing like he said in article is getting the pool pump etc. Off the grid and taking advantage of solar power makes a big difference.

Nurple Derple

Honorary Master
zoltan-fingers.gif

Tacet

Expert Member
@rpm
Victron's inverters are generally 5 kVA and 4 kW. I suspect that Zoltan does not remember the difference.

In another thread you asked for suggestions regarding experiments to do. A suggestion for an article, though: PV design considerations. There are quite a few solar threads on the forum, but the layman won't know which posters are credible. There are numerous articles on the web, but most are written by solar companies and tend to oversize rather than help to design something that's really suitable to the user's requirements.

Things such an article (or series of articles) may address:
1. Base load consumption - what meters are available to measure it, may you install such a meter in your DB or do you need an electrician to do it?
2. Peak consumption
3. Geyser element rating - as a point in a section about moving your load into the sunny portion of the day, and spreading the peak load wider.
4. Cost of gas as heating fuel vs electricity cost (look at the energy content of a 9 kg LPG cylinder vs refill cost, as a rough baseline)
5. Inverter requirements
a. NRS approval
b. Maximum load, and how does the inverter handle it if the maximum load is exceeded. Does it mix battery and incoming Eskom on the DC side or on the AC side?
c. What is the user requirement - cost saving (small grid-tie) or backup as well (larger inverter, need battery backup)?
6. Batteries - how much do you really need (based on consumption, not on inverter size!)
7. Batteries - LiFePO4 vs LiFeCO2 vs gel
8. CoC requirements - is surge protection a requirement (contentious issue, depends on interpretation of SANS 10142-1), transfer switch, may you do the work yourself, do you need to put in earth rods (how many are typically needed).