How Zoltan Miklos slashed his electricity bill

ranger

Expert Member
Inb4 the 1C comments start and certain guys gonna start promoting Chubble / Hubble.

Miklos also seems to have only gone half way with his solar project.
Well, do you want to spend R45000 on 10kWh Pylontechs, or ~R25000 on 5kWh of Revov or Hubble?

RonSwanson

Executive Member
I'm guessing this is supposed to say 5000W. A bit sad to have that system and only run critical stuff up to 500W.
Under 500W is probably his base load, very similar to my own. It's what one draws from just before sunset to just after sunrise, and is used to plan, amongst others, the battery capacity. My own base load is 250-450W, very seldom over 500W, I also have 3x 3.5K batteries and I have 60% battery capacity left when it starts charging the next morning.

ranger

Expert Member
He has 500W of critical loads.

Sure, he can run 5kW off solar or battery, but the key questions for sizing the battery is your critical loads (for load shedding).

I also average about 400-500W on critical loads (fridge, freezer, ONT, router, additional APs, alarm system, computers for being able to work).

rh1

Expert Member
@rpm
Victron's inverters are generally 5 kVA and 4 kW. I suspect that Zoltan does not remember the difference.

In another thread you asked for suggestions regarding experiments to do. A suggestion for an article, though: PV design considerations. There are quite a few solar threads on the forum, but the layman won't know which posters are credible. There are numerous articles on the web, but most are written by solar companies and tend to oversize rather than help to design something that's really suitable to the user's requirements.

Things such an article (or series of articles) may address:
1. Base load consumption - what meters are available to measure it, may you install such a meter in your DB or do you need an electrician to do it?
2. Peak consumption
3. Geyser element rating - as a point in a section about moving your load into the sunny portion of the day, and spreading the peak load wider.
4. Cost of gas as heating fuel vs electricity cost (look at the energy content of a 9 kg LPG cylinder vs refill cost, as a rough baseline)
5. Inverter requirements
a. NRS approval
b. Maximum load, and how does the inverter handle it if the maximum load is exceeded. Does it mix battery and incoming Eskom on the DC side or on the AC side?
c. What is the user requirement - cost saving (small grid-tie) or backup as well (larger inverter, need battery backup)?
6. Batteries - how much do you really need (based on consumption, not on inverter size!)
7. Batteries - LiFePO4 vs LiFeCO2 vs gel
8. CoC requirements - is surge protection a requirement (contentious issue, depends on interpretation of SANS 10142-1), transfer switch, may you do the work yourself, do you need to put in earth rods (how many are typically needed).
This, I know I need to prepare, prices all over the show, plan to copy someone set up, which may not suit my needs, because you can read as much as possible, but there is still the risk that you are going to be wasting money.

Jade @ Absolute Hosting

Absolute Hosting Representative
Company Rep
I've managed to reduce mine down to around R2000 a month at the increased Eskom rates.

Does anyone know of or can recommend an installer for a heat pump?

Yskasmetnstoof

Seriously , why are most MyBB articles so bad? Do their 'journalists' actually have actual degrees in journalism, or are they just blogger type folks.
Degrees in journalism may be the problem. It is a Mickey Mouse degree. Stuff that journalists used to learn on the job in 6 months turned into academic salaries for people who never made it as journalists.
In the issue mentioned, what you need is an engineering student that can write (and wants to).

Chris.Geerdts

Expert Member
First thing to do is clarify your objectives. Are you primarily going eco (or off grid), saving money or increasing reliability? Those answers impact your choice of panel, inverter capacity and storage.

That said my bill, excluding solar investment, was around Zoltan's bill with solar :cool:

GMAN03

zoltan-fingers.gif
This was exactly my thought when I saw the article.

Paulp2411

All well and good. Can you find out how much his whole new system and replacement of appliances etc cost him? Bet the price will blow your mind. it cab will never be afforded by the ordinary man in the street........

sandereo

I'm guessing this is supposed to say 5000W. A bit sad to have that system and only run critical stuff up to 500W.
At least 5kw. The wife needs to use the hairdryer in the morning.

TedLasso

Expert Member
Degrees in journalism may be the problem. It is a Mickey Mouse degree. Stuff that journalists used to learn on the job in 6 months turned into academic salaries for people who never made it as journalists.
In the issue mentioned, what you need is an engineering student that can write (and wants to).
Seriously, we have some great minds on this forum @AchmatK (Signates) @RonSwanson and few others that have excellent knowledge and appear to be super level headed. We need these chaps to be invited to write articles.

I know I've learnt more on solar , etc just reading their threads.

Similar , for Home automation - some guys on this forum have done some super cool things. They should be asked if they would like to contribute to writing articles ,etc. @xrapidx @Tinuva[/USER] @gbyleveldt (Sorry trying to do it from memory on phone)

Edit: My goodness, bloody phone was **** at tagging. Fixed @ mentions

Last edited:

clickingbuttons

Expert Member
Most of the average "power" users on powerforum.co.za have better, more well equipped and more importantly cheaper systems than the one quoted in this article.

TheChamp

Honorary Master
All well and good. Can you find out how much his whole new system and replacement of appliances etc cost him? Bet the price will blow your mind. it cab will never be afforded by the ordinary man in the street........
It does not sound that expensive to be honest especially since it doesn't have to be done all at once, a 5kW inverter, 8 panels and the 3 Pylontechs are nothing out of the ordinary.

xodosman123

Expert Member
I reduced mine at the office from about R1500 month to a R100 a week, Ill see if i can reduce that further but i am not sure yet if the cost will warrant the saving...

AchmatK

Executive Member
Seriously, we have some great minds on this forum @AchmatK (Signages) @RonSwanson and few others that have excellent knowledge and appear to be super level headed. We need these chaps to be invited to write articles.

I know I've learnt more on solar , etc just reading their threads.

Similar , for Home automation - some guys on this forum have done some super cool things. They should be asked if they would like to contribute to writing articles ,etc. @xrpapidx @Tinuva @gry.... (Sorry trying to do it from memory on phone)
Thanks. I wrote an almost identical article that was published a few months ago. I posted the link in the solar thread.

There's a lot more, and better content than this to write about when it comes to real life experiences with solar systems. An article about the man on the street and how he reduced his electricity bill to almost zero however does not generate any clicks or headline.

Reactions: air