[HOWTO] Rooting the Samsung Galaxy S III Mini (GT-i8200)

The_Ogre

Honorary Master
As far as I know you can, but then you can only flash a stock Samsung ROM, just like most other Samsung phones. What Libs did here is loaded a custom ROM which will always require root

Ah, like I said, and I'm guess you of the same opinion. Rooting is just necessary if you want to flash that customer ROM, not stock.
Jr's dronk, Fanie :D

You can load CWM using Odin and then load the Custom firmware also using Odin. All you need to do is put the phone into Download Mode

The_Ogre

Honorary Master
No, that ain't right. CWM does not root you phone.

Please show me where you see this.

Nee man, ekt nie meer 'n Samsung foon nie.

I've had 3 Samsung phones and two tablets and I've never needed to use anything except Odin.

Nee man, ekt nie meer 'n Samsung foon nie.

I've had 3 Samsung phones and two tablets and I've never needed to use anything except Odin.

ODIN is just the flash tool
- Odin is a utility software developed and used internally by Samsung which can be used to flash a Custom Recovery firmware image (as opposed to the Stock recovery firmware image) to a Samsung Android device.

CWM is a custom recovery
- Your recovery is the software on your phone that lets you make backups, flash ROMs, and perform other system-level tasks. The default recovery on your phone can't do much, but you can flash a custom recovery—like ClockworkMod or TWRP—after you've unlocked your bootloader that will give you much more control over your device. This is often an integral part of the rooting process.

Bootloader: Your bootloader is the lowest level of software on your phone, running all the code that's necessary to start your operating system. Most bootloaders come locked, meaning you can't flash custom recoveries or ROMs. Unlocking your bootloader doesn't root your phone directly, but it does allow you to root and/or flash custom ROMs if you so desire.

KingoRoot is a root application, used to root your phone

Kernel: A kernel is the component of your operating system that manages communications between your software and hardware. There are a lot of custom kernels out there for most phones, many of which can speed up your phone and increase your battery life, among other things. Be careful with kernels, though, as a bad one can cause serious problems with your phone and possibly even brick it.

Make sense?

The_Ogre

Honorary Master
Ok, my definition of Odin's abilities are wrong. I still stand by my point though

You can do it all using Odin. Let me see if I can do it on my daughter's phone quickly

Ok, my definition of Odin's abilities are wrong. I still stand by my point though

You can do it all using Odin. Let me see if I can do it on my daughter's phone quickly

Sure, some, even most of it you can flash through Odin. When rooting and flashing custom ROMS, you normally use Odin to flash the root tool iirc. Haven't rooted in a while...

The_Ogre

Honorary Master
Sure, some, even most of it you can flash through Odin. When rooting and flashing custom ROMS, you normally use Odin to flash the root tool iirc. Haven't rooted in a while...
Ag f0k, I managed to get CWM on (at least I can confirm that Odin doesn't auto root, like you said :) ), but the kid was nagging I don't remove her whatsapp so I just left it.

On topic, I think you and I have done an injustice to Ook's thread because lots of people do not know how to do this and this is a great guide! Ook, if you like you can delete my posts :)

Ag f0k, I managed to get CWM on (at least I can confirm that Odin doesn't auto root, like you said :) ), but the kid was nagging I don't remove her whatsapp so I just left it.

On topic, I think you and I have done an injustice to Ook's thread because lots of people do not know how to do this and this is a great guide! Ook, if you like you can delete my posts :)
Yep, agree. Ook you can clean this puppy up

Park@82

Honorary Master
Either Wileyfox or Blackberry Priv...

Still deciding. This time I'm gonna look for something that can be rooted and flashed easily. Learnt my lesson.
I don't think the blackberry would be good choice if you want to rom your phone.

Just get a proper phone & your need for custom ROMs will disappear.

The_Unbeliever

Honorary Master
I don't think the blackberry would be good choice if you want to rom your phone.

Just get a proper phone & your need for custom ROMs will disappear.

Starting to think Wileyfox.

The Priv do look good, but TBH I don't think there will be any ROMs for that phone...

There's still a lot of time left before contract time upgrade...

Park@82

Honorary Master

luka138

Also you can necessarily flash all ROMs in Odin. They need to be in tar or tar.md5 format. You can convert normal ROM zips to this format though.