HP PSC 1613 Speaks Gibberish?

Chiller89

Hi
I have an HP PSC 1613 printer. This printer has been working fine for quite a while, maybe 3-4 years, but now whenever i turn it on or do anything with it. The screen refuses to display english and rather decides to display gibberish. The printer will still print, but will not display english. I have tried everything from installing the drivers on the pc, to unplugging and replugging the device about 50 times. In the unlikely event that it does display english again, it quickly changes back to gibberish, in one or two minutes. I have been trying to find a way to fix this, either by flashing the firmware or some other method.

Is there anyone that can help?

The computer it is connected to is running:

Windows 7 Ultimate 32bit

3.0GHZ P4 HT

Zotac Geforce 9500GT

It is connected via USB.

Many thanks

Chiller89

It displays gibberish on the screen where youre supposed to see printing and things, its all in gibberish and odd characters!

stroebs

Expert Member
It displays gibberish on the screen where youre supposed to see printing and things, its all in gibberish and odd characters!

How do you know it's gibberish and not some other language???

Oh and, hi Chiller. :D

EDIT: Had to add something helpful. Look for an instruction manual online?

Chiller89

Ok thats not that helpful, do you really think i haven't done that? (Dont answer that) You have taught me well, I have basically tried everything, this is my last hope!
Oh, and Hi Stroebs

McGuywer

Executive Member
From http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?objectID=bpj02300

Try:

General Cold Reset steps

Many HP printers with internal HP Jetdirect print servers can be reset to factory defaults (or cold-reset) by turning the printer off and holding down the ONLINE or GO buttons while turning the printer back on. The printer control panel display should read Cold Reset or Restoring Factory Settings . If the printer has no display, the indicator lights will cycle.
Many HP Designjet plotters cannot cold reset an HP Jetdirect. However, if another printer is available, the HP Jetdirect can be put into any of the HP LaserJet 4 family of printers to be reset. Also, HP Jetadmin can be used to reset the IPX/SPX settings or Telnet can be used to reset the TCP/IP settings. Many Designjet (e.g., 1050c, 1055cm, 500, and 800 series) printers have a reset option in the menus of the control panel. See the table below.
To cold reset an HP Jetdirect external print server, unplug the power cord from the HP Jetdirect print server, then hold down the TEST button (on top of or in back of the HP Jetdirect) for five to 30 seconds while plugging in the power cord.
If the HP Jetdirect print server is installed in an HP LaserJet II, IID, III, or IIID series printer, turn off the printer, then turn it on while pressing the STATUS button on the HP Jetdirect print server for five to 30 seconds. This will reset the Locally Administered Address on Token Ring XIO cards.

Have you tried giving HP a call?