HP's WebOS tackles an Android and iOS dominated mobile market

Does HP have what it takes to penetrate the mobile market?

• Yes

Votes: 16 44.4%
  • No

Votes: 20 55.6%

• Total voters

BeVonk!

Executive Member
"On the one hand Google's Android is growing exponentially in popularity and Apple's iOS continues its upward growth. On the other hand Nokia looks to be in the death throes as it partners with Microsoft to boost its flagging sales - and everyone is waiting for a third option. WebOS could just be it."

And silently - in the background - RIM is making big strides ...

TJ99

Honorary Master
On the one hand Google's Android is growing exponentially in popularity and Apple's iOS continues its upward growth. On the other hand Nokia looks to be in the death throes as it partners with Microsoft to boost its flagging sales - and everyone is waiting for a third option.

Mmm.. mention 3 options and then say people are waiting for a 3rd one. Herpa derp derp.

Sodan

Expert Member
The first thing that comes to mind when I hear "HP" is bloat-ware.

lunamystry

I would like to play with WebOS. Just out of interest. I hope they bring it to SA and one of my friends buys.

Shayd

Expert Member

Maybe in SA it is... globally it's getting butchered. Elsewhere 100meg data bundles would be laughed at.

Last edited:

BeVonk!

Executive Member
Maybe in SA it is... globally it's getting butchered. Elsewhere 100meg data bundles would be laughed at.

I believe the stuff RIM has in the pipeline (PlayBook, Bold Touch, etc) will change their fortunes. The PlayBook with the ability to run Android apps, Flash, etc is on exactly the right track.

Shayd

Expert Member
I believe the stuff RIM has in the pipeline (PlayBook, Bold Touch, etc) will change their fortunes. The PlayBook with the ability to run Android apps, Flash, etc is on exactly the right track.

You might be right.

TJ99

Honorary Master

The Playbook is the one RIM-job so far that actually looks interesting. But when they finally get around to releasing it, it'll probably be just as stupidly overpriced (esp. in SA) as the rest of their products.

Biscuit1018

Expert Member
"On the one hand Google's Android is growing exponentially in popularity and Apple's iOS continues its upward growth. On the other hand Nokia looks to be in the death throes as it partners with Microsoft to boost its flagging sales - and everyone is waiting for a third option. WebOS could just be it."

Its easy to make big strides when you start from nowhere. RIM are just starting up in the tablet space so they can only gain market share. Apple can only lose because at 1st they had the market to themselves. Thats just simple maths.
Most of the tablets are almost 1 year behind Apple's in release date terms.
RIM though will definitely be a credible play especially in the corporate space.

The is space of iOS, RIM, Android, W7M and now WebOS

I still see the 1st 3 platforms ruling the tablet space.
But I would be happy if HP competed. Helps improve all products

murraybiscuit

Executive Member
Its easy to make big strides when you start from nowhere. RIM are just starting up in the tablet space so they can only gain market share. Apple can only lose because at 1st they had the market to themselves. Thats just simple maths.
Most of the tablets are almost 1 year behind Apple's in release date terms.
RIM though will definitely be a credible play especially in the corporate space.

The is space of iOS, RIM, Android, W7M and now WebOS

I still see the 1st 3 platforms ruling the tablet space.

sorry dude. you won't see a wp7 tablet this year. and i doubt anyone's going to get too excited about win7 on a tablet.
not sure if rim and hp are going to get much market share.
with honeycomb and ipadII on the horizon, they are going to have to offer something pretty revolutionary.

lunamystry

It occurred to me. I wanna develop an application and I want my friends to have it. Is Java or Qt a good option if one has Android, one has iOS I have Symbian and the other is holding out for WP7.

Basically is it possible to have common code base and just tweak a few things to get it working on a wide range of apps.

For this reason I hope HP, Nokia and any other company wanting to make a new OS fail. Maybe the smaller ones can join up and use Qt for development?

EtienneK

Expert Member
It occurred to me. I wanna develop an application and I want my friends to have it. Is Java or Qt a good option if one has Android, one has iOS I have Symbian and the other is holding out for WP7.

Basically is it possible to have common code base and just tweak a few things to get it working on a wide range of apps.

For this reason I hope HP, Nokia and any other company wanting to make a new OS fail. Maybe the smaller ones can join up and use Qt for development?

We are still in the beginning stages of the OS wars. Once we have a clear winner it'll be easier to do cross platform development.

At the moment, the best idea is to choose your main platform you want to develop on. And then choose a secondary one.

Having too many platforms to develop for is hell and supporting them all is going to cost you.

Paul_S

Expert Member
Interesting that Android, WebOS and iOS are all running on open source kernels or operating systems (Linux, Linux and Darwin respectively).

jes

MyBroadband Alumnus
Mmm.. mention 3 options and then say people are waiting for a 3rd one. Herpa derp derp.

I think the suggestion here is that Nokia isn't even a third option, as it is in its 'death throes.'

Biscuit1018

Expert Member
sorry dude. you won't see a wp7 tablet this year. and i doubt anyone's going to get too excited about win7 on a tablet.
not sure if rim and hp are going to get much market share.
with honeycomb and ipadII on the horizon, they are going to have to offer something pretty revolutionary.

re:W7M - Well I agree thats why I said the market belonged to the 1st 3
iOS, RIM, Android,

RIM will do OK because of their powerful corporate play.

W7M - There is a chance M/S could do OK IF they launch a Tablet based Mobile O/S similar to W7M
However the betting man will say they will try and shoehorn Win7 onto a tablet and on that point I agree - No market
M/S will probably go in circles making up their minds and get nowhere

But they have the capability to go somewhere

Cube

re:W7M - Well I agree thats why I said the market belonged to the 1st 3
iOS, RIM, Android,

RIM will do OK because of their powerful corporate play.

W7M - There is a chance M/S could do OK IF they launch a Tablet based Mobile O/S similar to W7M
However the betting man will say they will try and shoehorn Win7 onto a tablet and on that point I agree - No market
M/S will probably go in circles making up their minds and get nowhere

But they have the capability to go somewhere

And just like Nokia, they have enough money to go nowhere fast and still look capable of great things.

I'm sure MS will remain strong regardless of the outcome, but Nokia will suffer heavily.

murraybiscuit

Executive Member
i'm willing to give webOS a chance.

tablets imo are media consumption devices.
the main hurdle to mass adoption, even before getting developers onboard is a viable ecosystem of media, content and services.
then it's about leveraging off a current base of developers and apps on handsets.
this is my main issue with bb and hp options.

perhaps leveraging android apps and third party services will work.
what do they have in the line of services and content to compete with apple and google?