HSDPA download speeds but GPRS upload speeds?????

Xbox 360 Agent Weed

Hi guys, i have run numerous tests on www.speedtest.net and the vodacom speed test page and all my download speed results are great averaging 1400kbps BUT!!!!!! my upload speeds never go over 60kbps. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Also my ping has been more unstable lately at all times of the day.

Huawei E620 pcmcia card
Using PCI - PCMCIA adapter to access internet on desktop pc.
Windows XP
SP: Vodacom
Apn: Internet
CT - Northern Suburbs Monte Vista

ic

MyBroadband
Super Moderator
Hi guys, i have run numerous tests on www.speedtest.net and the vodacom speed test page and all my download speed results are great averaging 1400kbps BUT!!!!!! my upload speeds never go over 60kbps. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Also my ping has been more unstable lately at all times of the day.

Huawei E620 pcmcia card
Using PCI - PCMCIA adapter to access internet on desktop pc.
Windows XP
SP: Vodacom
Apn: Internet
CT - Northern Suburbs Monte Vista
The maximum upload speed of a Huawei E620 data card modem is 64kbits/s, and it cannot be firmware upgraded to offer any higher upload or download speed.

PS: welcome to MyBroadband :).

Xbox 360 Agent Weed

The maximum upload speed of a Huawei E620 data card modem is 64kbits/s, and it cannot be firmware upgraded to offer any higher upload or download speed.

PS: welcome to MyBroadband :).
Oh ok thank you for your response :)

ads

HSDPA is highly asymmetrical like this. You need to get HSUPA (if/when it's available), or CDMA EV-DO Rev A (when Neotel offers it) to get high upload speeds.

vodacom3g

Vodacom Representative
I thought the HSDPA-1.8 cards all gave 384Kb/s in the uplink?

ic

MyBroadband
Super Moderator
I thought the HSDPA-1.8 cards all gave 384Kb/s in the uplink?
Ooops, I am definitely :confused: :).

@Xbox 360 Agent Weed, disregard what I posted earlier - must have been affected by the fumes from my fireplace or something.

@v3g, does the consistent ~64kbits/s uplink speed then mean that the base-station or its backhaul is a bit overloaded & has throttled back uploads?

|tera|

Master of Messengers
ic :mad: I read this thread and your reply and I said to myself, "I'm happy 'ol ic is around, man that guy knows his stuff" ;) :D :p

Just kidding, really ;)

vodacom3g

Vodacom Representative
Ooops, I am definitely :confused: :).

@Xbox 360 Agent Weed, disregard what I posted earlier - must have been affected by the fumes from my fireplace or something.

@v3g, does the consistent ~64kbits/s uplink speed then mean that the base-station or its backhaul is a bit overloaded & has throttled back uploads?

Could be, but typically the backhaul is not congested in the uplink. Could be that the radio link is congested though.

Xbox did PM me, but I need more details (as per my sig) before I can pass it on.

nuyork

Expert Member
I've seen this numerous times. Even on my 3G card which is a Huawei E272. What I usually do is connect, run a speedtest, if the upload is below 64kbps, disconnect and reconnect and check the speedtest again. It mostly all the time jumps up to 1200kbps upload.

Now I've seen the same thing on a Huawei E620 before. But disconnecting and reconnecting did not help that time.

So I wasn't sure if it was a Huawei hardware problem or something else...like the network not fully compatible with the Hauwei hardware.

Anyway, for a fact, I know my E272 card does it each and every time I connect it to my computer. I've tried another E272 and a different SIM card and the EXACT same thing happens. So I'm kinda at a loss, but the quick fix for me - connect - disconnect - connect.

Xbox 360 Agent Weed

E620, NOT at fault, but rather vodacom..as usual.

Ok, well after a long break from mybroadband forums, I see that its not the e620 data card thats limited to 64kbps upload speeds.

Using the tool Mobile Data Monitoring Application I have seen that while using the internet apn, i get assigned 1792kbps download speeds and 60kbps upload speeds...WIERD!

When using the internetvpn or unrestricted apn i get assigned 384kbps upload speed. And achieve about 270kbps real upload speeds.

Now anyone know whats the problem with the internet apn?? i want to use it as it is more stable but its not giving me the correct upload speed.

I am on a vodacom top up 200 contract, but i think it falls under the prepaid section when it comes to data.

|tera|

Master of Messengers
Check V3G's signature, look at the details in it with the required info and send him a pm ;)