HTC Hero - upgrade - beware prospective buyers of the new Desire or Legend

Hobbit

The HTC Hero upgrade to 2.1 has been delayed again... Europe is now told to expect this upgrade in June after it had been slated for 16th April... Africa was unofficially slated for today, 22nd April guess not though and HTC are completely uncommunicative. It seems incredible that it takes this long to get an official upgrade out when there are any number of of unofficial upgrades on the net if you are willing to root your phone. Beware those of you thinking of buying a new HTC Desire or Legend you may wait years before you get any upgrade while HTC pumps newer versions of their phones out to the market
See - HTC: European HTC Hero Android 2.1 update now coming in… June » EuroDroid http://bit.ly/bkyjLI

ninex

Doesn't matter that much for new phones. 2.2 will sort out a lot of the fragmentation.

alt146

The android development cycle will probably slow down a lot too, now that it's reached a level where it can compete with the more mature platforms. Once that happens the developers will have more time to spend on updating their existing instead writing new OS's for their new phones. There will probably still be a huge delay between it being released overseas and it reaching us, but that's always been the case :(

greg_SA

Expert Member
I'm sure Android 2.1 will be great, and I'll install it on my Hero when the official version is available... but I'm perfectly happy with 1.5 anyway. It works great. Sure it has taken longer than expected to get 2.1 released, but I don't think it is a big deal really.

JacquesC

Hi to everyone, i've had to visit leaf yesterday, software issues with my standard Magic. I heard from the horses mouth that the "Hero and Magic will NOT receive any Android 2.1 releases here in SA and that all developments are directed to the new handsets Desire and Legend".
I am as disappointed by this but was told that an official stance on this will go public near end of April.

JacquesC

Hi to everyone, i've had to visit leaf yesterday, software issues with my standard Magic. I heard from the horses mouth that the "Hero and Magic will NOT receive any Android 2.1 releases here in SA and that all developments are directed to the new handsets Desire and Legend".
I am as disappointed by this but was told that an official stance on this will go public near end of April.

duncan1a

I have the Nexus one, and 2.1 is fantastic. This slow, if-at-all update situation in SA is a real reason to just get a phone like the Nexus from the US.

After putting up with Leaf/HTC dumping customers with anything but the latest phone (I had a Magic), I went with getting a Nexus and I haven't looked back.

Got a response from HTC Europe regarding the many broken promises of Leaf in SA to upgrade the Hero:

Dear Hein Koen,

Dear Mr/Mrs Hein Koen Thank you for contacting our Customer Support Center. With regards to your inquiry, when is the Android upgrade going to be released for South Africa. Currently the upgrade of HTC Hero is not available in South Africa. We are working on the android 2.1 Éclair. Because Eclair is a significantly enhanced release, it will require some time to update Sense for this new version of the Android OS. Please be patient while we work to provide you with a tightly integrated experience Thank you once again for your continued patronage. Thank you once again for your continued patronage. Best regards, HTC Technical Team Charles zimowa Thank You For Your Time and Appreciate your Support. Hotline: 800 982 773

To send a reply to this message or let me know I have successfully answered your question log in to our ContactUs site using your email address and your ticket number 10ZACW28ENA000164.

Sincerely,

Suzanne

HTC

Rands

Expert Member
Got a response from HTC Europe regarding the many broken promises of Leaf in SA to upgrade the Hero:

Dear Hein Koen,

Dear Mr/Mrs Hein Koen Thank you for contacting our Customer Support Center. With regards to your inquiry, when is the Android upgrade going to be released for South Africa. Currently the upgrade of HTC Hero is not available in South Africa. We are working on the android 2.1 Éclair. Because Eclair is a significantly enhanced release, it will require some time to update Sense for this new version of the Android OS. Please be patient while we work to provide you with a tightly integrated experience Thank you once again for your continued patronage. Thank you once again for your continued patronage. Best regards, HTC Technical Team Charles zimowa Thank You For Your Time and Appreciate your Support. Hotline: 800 982 773

To send a reply to this message or let me know I have successfully answered your question log in to our ContactUs site using your email address and your ticket number 10ZACW28ENA000164.

Sincerely,

Suzanne

HTC

They really enjoying your patronage over there, u should'nt give it so easily :)