Huawei’s plan to take on Samsung and Apple in South Africa

Dolby

Honorary Master
I gotta be honest ... Support really amazing. When I took my P9 with issues, not a question asked and collected the following week with everything changed (effectively a new phone). Prior to this incident, I thought my charger was faulty and they offered me a loan to test.

My only gripe would be accessories which are difficult to get.

Hemi300c

Honorary Master
My Huawei is in for screen repair and using a Samsung until I get it back.

Huawei is way better.

Sumen

Expert Member
The one thing that Huawei needs to sort out is the fact that all their phones bar the flagships Don't scratch resistant displays while other manufacturers do

Bryn

Doubleplusgood
Normally I'd be happy to see special commitment to SA from Huawei, but they've totally lost the plot with the design of the P20. Physically painful to look at:

Bilaal687

Normally I'd be happy to see special commitment to SA from Huawei, but they've totally lost the plot with the design of the P20. Physically painful to look at:

Phone doesn't look bad :\, sold my s8 and bought this will never go back to Samsung

SykomantiS

Expert Member
I gotta be honest ... Support really amazing. When I took my P9 with issues, not a question asked and collected the following week with everything changed (effectively a new phone). Prior to this incident, I thought my charger was faulty and they offered me a loan to test.

My only gripe would be accessories which are difficult to get.
Agreed, the support I received was also nothing short of spectacular.
However... They seriously need to look at their EMUI implementation and the incompatibilities it causes- it will mitigate a lot of the need for support in the first place. Just my opinion based on the media (Bluetooth) and Android Auto issues I experience on a daily basis.

Bryn

Doubleplusgood
Phone doesn't look bad :\, sold my s8 and bought this will never go back to Samsung
Nah, I don't rate the P20 and P20 Pro designs one bit.

Let's compare it to the OnePlus 6:

- much more attractive design due to smaller front lower bezel
- fingerprint reader on the back, no need for front due to lightning fast face unlock
- central rear cameras mean much lower chance of fingers ruining photos
- £799 for P20 Pro vs. £479 for OP6 (67% more expensive)
- both have an excellent camera
- zero bloatware on the OP6

If you love not being with Samsung, you probably just love less bloatware nonsense on your device. So you may as well go all the way with a Pixel or OnePlus device.

Bilaal687

- fingerprint reader on the back, no need for front due to lightning fast face unlock

If you love not being with Samsung, you probably just love less bloatware nonsense on your device. So you may as well go all the way with a Pixel or OnePlus device.
Lol, I love the fact that on some days I go home with my battery alive.... Huawei will soon cause an upset to the market the features they are offering is something else

Glass cracks vip service,
don't really rate the one plus series, but I will soon maybe get a pixel but will never replace the huawei

Bryn

Doubleplusgood
Lol, I love the fact that on some days I go home with my battery alive.... Huawei will soon cause an upset to the market the features they are offering is something else

Glass cracks vip service,
don't really rate the one plus series, but I will soon maybe get a pixel but will never replace the huawei
Huawei's warranty is certainly a competitive advantage, although OnePlus has improved a lot with customer service. SA isn't an officially supported country yet though so shipping is slow.

Once you go OnePlus I don't think you go back to anything else. It's on another level of speed. Baby steps though... Huawei still an improvement over Samsung.

Bilaal687

Huawei's warranty is certainly a competitive advantage, although OnePlus has improved a lot with customer service. SA isn't an officially supported country yet though so shipping is slow.

Once you go OnePlus I don't think you go back to anything else. It's on another level of speed. Baby steps though... Huawei still an improvement over Samsung.
For me personally I will feel Huawei for now waiting for the one plus 5T to get a dip in price maybe I will re try it

Bryn

Doubleplusgood
For me personally I will feel Huawei for now waiting for the one plus 5T to get a dip in price maybe I will re try it
The OP6 camera is miles ahead of anything to go before it. If you're going to try OnePlus get the 6.

Polymathic

Honorary Master

Notch :sick:

Bryn

Doubleplusgood
You can 'disable'/black it out in the settings. So it looks like a bezel but the notification info is conveniently displayed inside it. And to make it extra convincing, OnePlus have said an upcoming update will turn off those pixels entirely rather than make them black to get the look really authentic. It's an AMOLED display obviously.