Huawei Android ban - What mobile operators have to say

Jamie McKane

MyBroadband Journalist
Staff member
Super Moderator
Huawei Android ban - What mobile operators have to say

Google recently announced that it had cut off Huawei's Android licence following a US crackdown on its technology trade with China.

It remains unclear how Huawei will alter its platform following the suspension of its Android licence, but the company has been granted some reprieve in the form of a 90-day licence to use the Android platform and maintain support for existing products and equipment.

Nobody Important

Executive Member
What mobile operators have to say?

Well I suspect they don't really care. In the years gone past when I used Android, slow rollout of OS updates were always blamed on the operators not being interested. So why would they care now?

AnimateX

And how big an impact is it really?
For Huawei? Unless they have some way of offering Google services without users having to manually track down and installing their own apps and updates, pretty big consequences for them especially their mobile phone market.

Some stores have already started delisting Huawei products. On the other hand there are a lot of other products in this range so it will mainly affect users who already have Huawei devices, others will just buy something else.

Cray

Honorary Master
For Huawei? Unless they have some way of offering Google services without users having to manually track down and installing their own apps and updates, pretty big consequences for them especially their mobile phone market.
As someone who was perhaps looking at a Huawei as my next phone, am definitely having second thoughts on the back of this...

ToxicBunny

Honorary Master
As someone who was perhaps looking at a Huawei as my next phone, am definitely having second thoughts on the back of this...
Honestly, if this gets resolved, it will be part of a trade deal and is not likely to happen again in the near future....

This is all part of a larger trade war between the two... the problem is the US are in a position of weakness but think they are in the position of power...

Cray

Honorary Master
Honestly, if this gets resolved, it will be part of a trade deal and is not likely to happen again in the near future....

This is all part of a larger trade war between the two... the problem is the US are in a position of weakness but think they are in the position of power...
Yeah, the major problem is convincing Trump of that fact...

Sinbad

Honorary Master
Agreed..... He has not done the US any favours with his trade negotiations so far... he's left them in a worse position.
I wonder if meetings with his advisers are like episodes of The Apprentice - if they say anything he doesn't like to hear he just fires their ass.

ToxicBunny

Honorary Master
I wonder if meetings with his advisers are like episodes of The Apprentice - if they say anything he doesn't like to hear he just fires their ass.
I'm pretty sure he's tried that a few times...