Huawei B818-263 router is compatible with which SA mobile LTE networks?

Angazi

Hi,

My existing ZTE router runs decently with Axxess MTN Fixed LTE but I decided to upgrade to a Huawei B818-263 to try eke out a bit more performance and am discovering the hard way that despite me thinking its merely an upgraded B618 and thus backward compatible its apparently not supported.

Obviously, this isnt news to this forum since I can read posts from mid last year mentioning Afrihost MTN Fixed LTE also doesnt but I dont see anything more recent on the status of this.

Is there a difference between getting fixed LTE services from MTN directly vs Axxess/Afrihost, etc or is this router supported in no shape or form by MTN in SA? I'm happy with their performance at my location but am now prepared to move ISPs to support this hardware.

I see a number of mentions of Huawei B818 on MyBB and many local places selling it but its still unclear to me which SA networks this device actually works on in Feb 2021 so who is using it successfully and with whom?

Thanks for some insights.

Cheers

Gtx Gaming

Gtx Gaming
All network expect mtn fixed lte support B818.

It is supported on mtn fixed lte, but they hardware limit to the B618.

Reactions: Yuu

Angazi

Thanks for the feedback.

@GTX What do you mean by "they hardware limit to the B618" - do you mean since that's a Cat 11 device, a Cat 19 is being limited to operate only at Cat 11 levels on MTN's network?

Well, right now anything above 100 Mbps would be nice, so not holding my breath seeing much above that on LTE at this point of its evolution in SA, no matter what router I throw at it.

Today I found that both Axxess and Afrihost remain resolute in NOT supporting B818 on MTN fixed LTE so no go there and no interest or timeline in doing so either despite this hardware being out for the past 3 years at least.

I also discovered Openweb is confident Huawei B818 works on their MTN Fixed LTE so I might have to try them and see how it goes.

Another option - I tested with a colleague's Telkom LTE SIM today and saw speedtest results of just over 100 Mbps so IMO that's another fair start at least.

Cheers

Mobster

I also discovered Openweb is confident Huawei B818 works on their MTN Fixed LTE so I might have to try them and see how it goes.
Curious about this as well
Openweb states the B818 will work on their website and confirm it via their WhatsApp support

Let us know how it goes if you decide on that option

Jake45

Expert Member
@Angazi: It's possible that MTN has changed the list of approved routers. Maybe you can send a PM to @AfriNatic to see if there have been any changes. Many customers have been asking Afrihost to add support for the B818.

AfriNatic

Afrihost Rep
Staff member
@Angazi: It's possible that MTN has changed the list of approved routers. Maybe you can send a PM to @AfriNatic to see if there have been any changes. Many customers have been asking Afrihost to add support for the B818.

Morning,

It's unconfirmed but it looks like MTN has added a few routers to the supported list.

I have requested an updated router list from them and once received we will update our website accordingly.

Gtx Gaming

Gtx Gaming
Morning,

It's unconfirmed but it looks like MTN has added a few routers to the supported list.

I have requested an updated router list from them and once received we will update our website accordingly.
Please confirm Asap want to go get B818!

Gtx Gaming

Gtx Gaming
Thanks for the feedback.

@GTX What do you mean by "they hardware limit to the B618" - do you mean since that's a Cat 11 device, a Cat 19 is being limited to operate only at Cat 11 levels on MTN's network?

Well, right now anything above 100 Mbps would be nice, so not holding my breath seeing much above that on LTE at this point of its evolution in SA, no matter what router I throw at it.

Today I found that both Axxess and Afrihost remain resolute in NOT supporting B818 on MTN fixed LTE so no go there and no interest or timeline in doing so either despite this hardware being out for the past 3 years at least.

Another option - I tested with a colleague's Telkom LTE SIM today and saw speedtest results of just over 100 Mbps so IMO that's another fair start at least.

Cheers
They limit the amount of routers can be used on fixed lte, its hardware limit that can't be bypassed.
The b818 is going to work very well on mtn fixed lte when it is allowed.

Jake45

Expert Member
As confirmed by MTN Business that the B535 and B818 has been added to the supported router list for MTN Fixed LTE.
Great news for all the Afrihost Pure LTE/MTN Fixed LTE customers! The addition of the B535 could also be very useful in the future as these routers are quite popular and should be easily available as secondhand units.