Huawei caught faking photos again, this time for the upcoming P30 Pro

Dave

Honorary Master
Huawei recently published some image samples as part of a teaser campaign for the upcoming P30 Pro’s camera with periscope zoom lens — but it turns out they were shot on a DSLR, as spotted by GSMArena. This isn’t the first time that Huawei has faked its phone camera results — the last time it happened was in August 2018 for a Huawei Nova 3 commercial.

To make an embarrassing situation even worse, it turns out some of the photos uploaded to Huawei’s official Weibo account were stock photos and not their own original DSLR shots. As GadgetMatch found out by doing a reverse image search, a photograph featuring a young child that was supposedly shot on the P30 Pro is eerily similar (i.e. identical) to a photo originally from someone’s portfolio posted back in 2009. Another fake image sample that featured an erupting volcano turned out to be a stock image from Getty Images.

https://www.theverge.com/platform/amp/2019/3/11/18260213/huawei-fake-photos-p30-pro-camera-ad-dslr

https://www.gsmarena.com/no_these_photos_werent_taken_with_the_huawei_p30-news-35950.php

They’ll never learn, will they?

sajunky

Honorary Master
If they do post the photo made 10 years ago, it just indication they don't care.
Technology is advancing so quick, that it doesn't make sense to fake 10 years old photo.

All do the same, fake news.

Gsmarena should focus on fixing evident errors in phone specification. By example they publish for y7 2019:
Card slot microSD, up to 512 GB (uses SIM 2 slot)
The phone actually has two SIM sockets and a separate microSD socket. The same is with every dual-SIM Y-series phone I know. They made this mistake in many places, for every Y-series phone. I wrote to them, but they ignored it.

Last edited:
Where did they say they took the photos with the P30, or any Huawei phone for that matter? One could easily see those photo's were definitely not taken by any cellphone, I thought it was just more to advertise they have some sort of zoom coming... or did one of those advertisements actually say "Taken with P30 Pro" ?

I don't like Huawei phones that much at all (I don't like my Mate 20 Pro, so will not like anything they make) but one can't say they tried to fool people here unless they said it was taken with a Huawei phone?

Dirtdiver

Where did they say they took the photos with the P30, or any Huawei phone for that matter? One could easily see those photo's were definitely not taken by any cellphone, I thought it was just more to advertise they have some sort of zoom coming... or did one of those advertisements actually say "Taken with P30 Pro" ?

I don't like Huawei phones that much at all (I don't like my Mate 20 Pro, so will not like anything they make) but one can't say they tried to fool people here unless they said it was taken with a Huawei phone?

I thought i was the only one who didnt like the Mate 20 Pro :). It feels expensive in hand but i didnt enjoy using it for all of 10 minutes to be fair. I've been using Samsung forever with Nova Launcher always , lol

The camera does look good on some of the Huawei phones.

I thought i was the only one who didnt like the Mate 20 Pro :). It feels expensive in hand but i didnt enjoy using it for all of 10 minutes to be fair. I've been using Samsung forever with Nova Launcher always , lol

The camera does look good on some of the Huawei phones.
I played with a friend's S10 earlier the week, now that's a decent phone!

Dirtdiver

I played with a friend's S10 earlier the week, now that's a decent phone!

Funny, I had the s10 in one hand and the Mate 20 Pro in the other. I know not fair comparison and TBH the s10 is light and the Mate 20 felt better to me. But using it was the difference. Im due for my upgrade soon, lets see what happens.

Sinbad

Honorary Master

Curious as to what you don't like about it?

Yep, it seems Huawei intended to use stock images to showcase the new unique features they are bringing with the P30, they have the licenses to the images, GSMArena and Gadget Match updated their articles:

bwana

B MyBroadband
Super Moderator
Looks like they've added a disclaimer - not sure why they didn't have one to begin with

translation.jpg

Google Translate says: This picture is creative, for reference only

Dolby

Honorary Master
Dave absolutely hates Huawei - I tend to take quite a bit of what he says with a pinch of salt.

Dave

Honorary Master
Remember that time when you tried to tell me that your experience in consumer electronics, meant you were an expert in technology?

It was around then
No, I can’t ever remember claiming to be an expert in anything.

Why not go back to our last discussion and see what phone I said I was using.