Huawei expects strong smartphone sales despite Trump ban

Hanno Labuschagne

Expert Member
Staff member
Huawei expects strong smartphone sales despite Trump ban

Huawei Technologies Co. expects smartphone shipments to grow 20% next year even if it’s blocked from the latest Google software, suggesting the Trump administration efforts to contain the company’s rise may not be working.

The world’s largest smartphone maker after Samsung Electronics Co. can rely on its massive home market and in-house software to keep the division humming, said Will Zhang, president of corporate strategy. Sourcing the hardware for smartphone manufacturing wasn’t a problem because of the availability of global supply, he told Bloomberg News.

[Bloomberg]

Budza

Executive Member
Is it recommended to buy Huawei in SA?

Locally, I'd get Samsung.
If importing, Xiaomi.

I'm wary of Huawei losing access to Play store and Google services etc. Should I be?

backstreetboy

Honorary Master
Is it recommended to buy Huawei in SA?

Locally, I'd get Samsung.
If importing, Xiaomi.

I'm wary of Huawei losing access to Play store and Google services etc. Should I be?
No since existing phones will continue to be supported and receive updates it's just new phones like the Mate 30 that don't ship with Google Play Services.

EDIT: Samsung is too expensive for what you get and Xiaomi's Miui is filled with ads. Miui 11 will fix that but haven't seen the reviews yet.

Last edited: