Huawei Freelace Review - Convenience on the go

Tsepz_011

Expert Member
Got an awesome package from Huawei containing a pair of their latest Bluetooth earphones. You may remember at MWC Huawei announced not just phones but an interesting pair of earphones that came in a very attractive Orange colour as well as Black.

I have had the pair for just over 2 weeks now and have been using them at work, as well as in bed and when traveling, and the key advantages have come very clear to me while using these earphones, Convenience.

Key features:
- 18 Hour Battery Life
- Fast Charging Support
- IPX5 Water Resistance - meaning they can handle projected liquid
- HUAWEI HiPair Technology
- Hall Magentic Sensor with Auto On & Off depending on headphones being Attached or Detached.

Cons:
No support for High Quality Bluetooth Codecs

Pricing: R2500

The Freelace headphones come in a very nice package, feels like something special that you are unboxing.

Having used the headphones over the last two weeks I have barely run them down, they have lasted me about 2-3days days in the office on a charge, I generally play music for about 1-2hours a day at work and then use them again at night while catching up on my streaming on Netflix, Showmax, Amazon and/or YouTube, for about 2hours again.

Something I am loving is the fact that it's easy to charge them, all I do is separate them on the right side and then plug them straight in to my P30 Pro, it takes very little time to get them back up to 100%, 5m minutes of charging with the P30 Pro can give you around 4 hours with of playtime, which is great for when you forget to charge them an need to quickly top up.

This is incredibly convenient!

As I mentioned earlier, the Headphones use Huawei's HiPair Technology (supported in EMUI9.1) , and for a better explanation of this I will use a quote from Tom's Guide review:
Normally, you'd pair these wireless headphones with your device with the standard method: holding buttons and selecting the right options in the Bluetooth menu. However, plugging the FreeLace into a Huawei device (provided it's running on a recent version of EMUI 9.1) allows you to go straight to the Bluetooth menu and complete the pairing. It's a minor touch, but one that saves you some time if you have an up-to-date Huawei phone, like the new P30 Pro.
https://www.tomsguide.com/us/huawei-freelace-earbuds,review-6374.html

As I have said, convenience seems to be Huawei's main focus with these headphones. Even using them with my iPad Air 2 was simple, press and Hold the Power button for 4 seconds to enter pairing mode, select them in the device you want to pair with and you are done.

In terms of sound quality, the Freelace headphones will not blow you away, but they do a good job, bass is good and the sound is crispy and clear enough to thoroughly enjoy music from your favourite streaming service (I mostly use Apple Music and YouTube Music services).

Another feature I have enjoyed with the Freelace is how pocket able they are, at first I was not sure if it was a good idea to bundle them, but over time I realised this is how they are intended to be carried. The memory metal core helps a lot here, they do not get tangled easily, and even if they do just give them a little shake and you are good to go, they unbundle themselves.

Speaking of the convenience of carrying them, these headphones have a really neat feature, as with any other headphones with this design they have magnets at the back of both earpieces however the Freelaces use this to also manage their battery life. When you put the magnetic pieces together the headphones use a Hall Magentic sensor, this will figure out if the earpieces are attached to each other in which case it will automatically end the Bluetooth connection, but the moment you detach them it will automatically reestablish the connection and by the time the earpieces reach your ear you are ready to play your music.
I discovered this feature by mistake when making my way through OR Tambo airport metal detectors and terminals to get to my flight, each time I attached and detached I noticed that the phone would light up with a message and my music would keep going right where I left it, really awesome.

Overall I am thoroughly impressed with the Huawei Freelace headphones, they aimed to be convenient and easy to use and that's exactly what they are.

I was a little disappointed not to see any mention of AptX support, bu they do a fine job nonetheless, I am no audiophile so I am not too overly picky and just want headphones that are easy to carry, use and give good sound quality, and that is exactly what the Freelace do.

Last edited:

ronz91

Expert Member
Ball park price? Do they have a similar one in the bud style, like their earpods clones they box with mid range phones?

Thirstycurve

Got an awesome package from Huawei containing a pair of their latest Bluetooth earphones. You may remember at MWC Huawei announced not just phones but an interesting pair of earphones that came in a very attractive Orange colour as well as Black.

I have had the pair for just over 2 weeks now and have been using them at work, as well as in bed and when traveling, and the key advantages have come very clear to me while using these earphones, Convenience.

Key features:
- 18 Hour Battery Life
- Fast Charging Support
- IPX5 Water Resistance - meaning they can handle projected liquid
- HUAWEI HiPair Technology
- Hall Magentic Sensor with Auto On & Off depending on headphones being Attached or Detached.

Cons:
No support for High Quality Bluetooth Codecs

Pricing: R2500

The Freelace headphones come in a very nice package, feels like something special that you are unboxing.

Having used the headphones over the last two weeks I have barely run them down, they have lasted me about 2-3days days in the office on a charge, I generally play music for about 1-2hours a day at work and then use them again at night while catching up on my streaming on Netflix, Showmax, Amazon and/or YouTube, for about 2hours again.

Something I am loving is the fact that it's easy to charge them, all I do is separate them on the right side and then plug them straight in to my P30 Pro, it takes very little time to get them back up to 100%, 5m minutes of charging with the P30 Pro can give you around 4 hours with of playtime, which is great for when you forget to charge them an need to quickly top up.

This is incredibly convenient!

As I mentioned earlier, the Headphones use Huawei's HiPair Technology (supported in EMUI9.1) , and for a better explanation of this I will use a quote from Tom's Guide review:

https://www.tomsguide.com/us/huawei-freelace-earbuds,review-6374.html

As I have said, convenience seems to be Huawei's main focus with these headphones. Even using them with my iPad Air 2 was simple, press and Hold the Power button for 4 seconds to enter pairing mode, select them in the device you want to pair with and you are done.

In terms of sound quality, the Freelace headphones will not blow you away, but they do a good job, bass is good and the sound is crispy and clear enough to thoroughly enjoy music from your favourite streaming service (I mostly use Apple Music and YouTube Music services).

Another feature I have enjoyed with the Freelace is how pocket able they are, at first I was not sure if it was a good idea to bundle them, but over time I realised this is how they are intended to be carried. The memory metal core helps a lot here, they do not get tangled easily, and even if they do just give them a little shake and you are good to go, they unbundle themselves.

Speaking of the convenience of carrying them, these headphones have a really neat feature, as with any other headphones with this design they have magnets at the back of both earpieces however the Freelaces use this to also manage their battery life. When you put the magnetic pieces together the headphones use a Hall Magentic sensor, this will figure out if the earpieces are attached to each other in which case it will automatically end the Bluetooth connection, but the moment you detach them it will automatically reestablish the connection and by the time the earpieces reach your ear you are ready to play your music.
I discovered this feature by mistake when making my way through OR Tambo airport metal detectors and terminals to get to my flight, each time I attached and detached I noticed that the phone would light up with a message and my music would keep going right where I left it, really awesome.

Overall I am thoroughly impressed with the Huawei Freelace headphones, they aimed to be convenient and easy to use and that's exactly what they are.

I was a little disappointed not to see any mention of AptX support, bu they do a fine job nonetheless, I am no audiophile so I am not too overly picky and just want headphones that are easy to carry, use and give good sound quality, and that is exactly what the Freelace do.
Can you only charge them through the phone or is there another way?

Park@82

Honorary Master
What about mic/call quality?
How well does it isolate noise?

It doesn't seem to offer some of the smart features offered by some competitors:
An app to configure additional setting like the equalizer (Jaybird).
No ambient sound setting (Galaxy buds).
No AptX (everything in this price range :p ).
Wireless charging.

Long battery life is cool and all, but to be honest, these seem somewhat overpriced compared to what I have seen it the market. I bought these: https://consumer.huawei.com/en/accessories/sport-headphones-lite/ last year at R500 and I don't see why these would be 5 times the price of those.

Edit: the magnet thing is also cool. I have seen a similar feature (on and off with the magnet) in cheaper headphones like the Awei A920BLS which owned briefly.

Last edited:

Sinbad

Honorary Master
Vodacom is now offering these bundled with the P30 Pro on their website.

1557754159240.png

/edit I see it's not limited to Vodacom :D

Tsepz_011

Expert Member
What about mic/call quality?
How well does it isolate noise?

It doesn't seem to offer some of the smart features offered by some competitors:
An app to configure additional setting like the equalizer (Jaybird).
No ambient sound setting (Galaxy buds).
No AptX (everything in this price range ).
Wireless charging.

Long battery life is cool and all, but to be honest, these seem somewhat overpriced compared to what I have seen it the market. I bought these: https://consumer.huawei.com/en/accessories/sport-headphones-lite/ last year at R500 and I don't see why these would be 5 times the price of those.

Edit: the magnet thing is also cool. I have seen a similar feature (on and off with the magnet) in cheaper headphones like the Awei A920BLS which owned briefly.
Mic quality and call quality are decent, nothing to write home about, clear and loud enough.

Noise isolation is also decent if you use the correct tips for your ears you can get some very good isolation, it's trial and error here for some, I found the default tips to do a decent job though.

These definitely make more sense as a bundled item e.g. The P30 Pro deal they are available on.

Thirstycurve

It is difficult to know without testing but how do you think the freelace would compare to the OnePlus bullets?

Tsepz_011

Expert Member
It is difficult to know without testing but how do you think the freelace would compare to the OnePlus bullets?
Indeed, very difficult to say without testing.

The OnePlus Bullets Wireless 2 bring AptXHD support though, so that could make quite the difference if you are an audiophile, but you'd need to give both a try with some high quality audio.

From GSMArena Review:
Sound quality
The sound quality was one of the things that we really liked with the original Bullets Wireless. While not particularly outstanding, the sound was really well tuned considering the price that the earphones were selling for.

The Bullets Wireless 2 are a small but noticeable improvement over its predecessor in this aspect. The new models feature a balanced armature driver (courtesy of Knowles) for the high frequencies and a dynamic driver for everything else. Bullets Wireless 2 also make the jump to aptX HD, which brings with it support for 24-bit audio.

The actual difference in audio quality was more subtle than we expected. The main difference with the new model is an improvement in the high and upper mid frequencies. The original Bullets Wireless had a fairly dark sound with not a lot of detail in the upper mids and highs. The balanced armature design of the Bullets Wireless 2 injects some much needed life in this part of the audio spectrum without overdoing it.
https://m.gsmarena.com/oneplus_bullets_wireless_2_review-news-37035.php