Huawei is beating Apple in South Africa – and is gaining on other competitors

I'm seriously considering a Huawei over Samsung next year. The pointless bixby button and the poor performance of the s8+ has been fkn annoying and the rounded edges are really getting on my nerves.

I'm seriously considering a Huawei over Samsung next year. The pointless bixby button and the poor performance of the s8+ has been fkn annoying and the rounded edges are really getting on my nerves.

I switched from Samsung to Xiaomi. Won't go back to Samsung.

+1 to Huawei...

Had a P10 for 6 months now, b4 that used HTC exclusively whilst overseas for many years.

Never touched Flapple and Samhong..no need. Overpriced,overrated flash toys for the masses.

+1 to Huawei...

Had a P10 for 6 months now, b4 that used HTC exclusively whilst overseas for many years.

Never touched Flapple and Samhong..no need. Overpriced,overrated flash toys for the masses.

This is rather ironically funny, considering the context of the thread.

Seriously considering Nokia 6.1 Plus.
Video is the Chinese/Indian version (6X), 6.1 Plus will have 64GB storage, 4GB RAM and run Android One (Stock, the 6X has some Chinese variant on it).
[video=youtube;UiPXjp9m-0g]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UiPXjp9m-0g[/video]
It's at 250 EUR according to GSM, just under R3900, so probably around R4500 here.
Also due to Android one "Regular security updates and two years of OS upgrades".

One weird thing about the pricing, was checking out the Nokia 7's price via Nokia's own site: https://www.nokia.com/en_za/phones/nokia-7-plus , they have a bunch of providers listed, Hi-Online is one where you can get the 7 Plus from for R5999, even though the gsm arena price is 400 EUR. So be sure to check Nokia's site when they release it for SA if buying cash.

I'm not really sure whether I would recommend a Huawei phone, I notice they skimp on scratch protection for the display glass, even on the P20.

I'm not really sure whether I would recommend a Huawei phone, I notice they skimp on scratch protection for the display glass, even on the P20.
My Pro came with a screen protector installed

But for a R12000 and R15000 phone you shouldn't need to be worrying about keeping a screen protector on, my mom had the LG G4 before switching and for the 2.5 years that she had that phone, it never developed a single scratch.

Even my R3000 Nokia 5 has Gorilla glass.

My P10 as well... in fact having managed to drop my phone more times than I care to imagine, I'm mightily impressed it hasn't suffered a single dent or crack and still works perfectly....

Can't fault Huawei really....just received the latest Oreo Google security patch as well...8.0.0.380(C02)

I got a protector on my Mate 10 Pro (installed) and the P Smart (uninstalled).

My P9 had two issues in a year - the screen coating rubbed off (no chemicals or anything ever used). And the battery stopped holding charge.

Took it in and they replaced everything for me without question ... Screen, motherboard, battery etc. It's my spare now, but still enjoying it when I use it

Last edited:
Nokia are taking long enough to bring the Nokia 6.1 Plus to SA. I'm waiting to make the switch to Nokia from Xiaomi. I previously owned a Huawei P1 that served me well for 4 years.

So does my P10.
I know it does but this year they excluded it from the P20 and that's unacceptable for that price range, it's even unacceptable that they they exclude it from their mid-range phones. If they get that sorted out in their next gen phones I won't hesitate recommending one

Yeah, the P20 Pro is a nice device. I was playing with one recently and it compares well with my S9+. I have no qualms about considering their devices in the future.

Huawei is indeed winning. I remember the years when they were the cheap devices that were looked down upon, tables turning

A case??? Just sayin'...

Exactly. Not sure what his quibble is.... :whistling:

Also no idea why so many people walk around with cracked screens that they can barely read when a simple case solves all that plus may in fact save you from smashing it after a bad drop!

Doesn't look cool I've heard a few say...pffft. Whats more important, looking cool or breaking a R10k phone!

Exactly. Not sure what his quibble is.... :whistling:

Also no idea why so many people walk around with cracked screens that they can barely read when a simple case solves all that plus may in fact save you from smashing it after a bad drop!

Doesn't look cool I've heard a few say...pffft. Whats more important, looking cool or breaking a R10k phone!
Obviously the phone has a case, it has glass on the back, I'm talking about the display getting minor scratches, something a case will not help stop.

Back