Huawei is ready for a clash with the USA

ToxicBunny

Honorary Master
This could be a could thing long term, Huawei have allot of shady business approaches.
Everyone has a lot of shady business approaches...

I think, if the ban holds, Huawei's handset market will dry up quickly outside of China (and budget handsets in the rest of the world), but their networking business will still remain strong. They do seem to be leaps and bounds ahead of the West on the 5G bandwagon from a technological point of view...

Rocket-Boy

Executive Member
Their handset business wont survive outside of the budget market if they move to their own processors and OS.

Stevewarren

Huawei is to big to fail. It will be a good thing in the long term for the consumers in that it will force Huawei to innovate and be very price competitive.

I don't think it will come to that though, it's all about Trump playing hardball so at worst it will only last as long as Trump stays President and I doubt even that.

It will be exciting over the next couple of weeks though when we see how China might hit back.

HOLY MAnIAC

Their handset business wont survive outside of the budget market if they move to their own processors and OS.
They already make their own Processors and have done so for a while, Although they do get a lot of the required resources from the USA This I am sure they could source elsewhere.

The software side is a bigger problem for Huawei as even if they can build a better or similiar OS than android, it will not have all the apps that android has and that has made it successfull.

Also If Google is cutting android from Huawei how long until all google apps are banned, Google maps, Drive, Gmail

Sinbad

Honorary Master
They already make their own Processors and have done so for a while, Although they do get a lot of the required resources from the USA This I am sure they could source elsewhere.

The software side is a bigger problem for Huawei as even if they can build a better or similiar OS than android, it will not have all the apps that android has and that has made it successfull.

Also If Google is cutting android from Huawei how long until all google apps are banned, Google maps, Drive, Gmail
Remember Android is open source based on Linux. Apps won't be a problem as long as their OS is also Linux based.

Ockie

Resident Lead Bender
Remember Android is open source based on Linux. Apps won't be a problem as long as their OS is also Linux based.
IOS is also based on Linux, but the apps are not compatible between IOS and Android. But even if the apps are compatible, I think the big issue is going to be Google Play Services which kind of makes those apps work, such as push notifications etc. Without that, apps can be pretty useless.

Sinbad

Honorary Master
IOS is also based on Linux, but the apps are not compatible between IOS and Android. But even if the apps are compatible, I think the big issue is going to be Google Play Services which kind of makes those apps work, such as push notifications etc. Without that, apps can be pretty useless.
No it's actually based on BSD.

ToxicBunny

Honorary Master
Can of worms if Google have developed closed source apps from gpl code....
Nah it relates more to the Google Play stuff, and all the APIs they provide... that is closed source and proprietary as far as I'm aware...

So say an integration with the Maps API, wouldn't work if the phone doesn't have the Play Services stuff...

Ockie

Resident Lead Bender
No it's actually based on BSD.
Ah ok. Well, like I said ... even if the apps are compatible with a new Huawei OS, fact is they still left with the problem of missing Google Play Services, whithout which these apps wont work.

Bryn

Doubleplusgood
To be fair, Huawei does seem super dodge. They can tap the Chinese gov for interest-free loans whenever they want, the company is largely owned by a totally secretive and "impossible to understand" employee share scheme that is likely a cover for the Chinese gov and their senior executives travel with special public affairs passports normally used for government officials.

It's weird and they're not competing on even footing with foreign tech companies. The US and Europe should both demand an end to Huawei's high level of state support.