Huawei is ready for a clash with the USA

Sinbad

Honorary Master
To be fair, Huawei does seem super dodge. They can tap the Chinese gov for interest-free loans whenever they want, the company is largely owned by a totally secretive and "impossible to understand" employee share scheme that is likely a cover for the Chinese gov and their senior executives travel with special public affairs passports normally used for government officials.

It's weird and they're not competing on even footing with foreign tech companies. The US and Europe should both demand an end to Huawei's high level of state support.
If so, then the US and Europe should also stop subsidising their own industries...

Bryn

Doubleplusgood
If so, then the US and Europe should also stop subsidising their own industries...
I'm not aware of them engaging in anything resembling the same type of behaviour though. And if they are doing so, then yes of course, they should cease as well if they want Huawei to stop.

Sinbad

Honorary Master

The_MAC

Executive Member
To be fair, Huawei does seem super dodge. They can tap the Chinese gov for interest-free loans whenever they want, the company is largely owned by a totally secretive and "impossible to understand" employee share scheme that is likely a cover for the Chinese gov and their senior executives travel with special public affairs passports normally used for government officials.

It's weird and they're not competing on even footing with foreign tech companies. The US and Europe should both demand an end to Huawei's high level of state support.
Funding:

Huawei = Chinese Defense
ZTE = China's Space Agency

Huawei is basically an arm of the Chinese government..

Rocket-Boy

Executive Member
They already make their own Processors and have done so for a while, Although they do get a lot of the required resources from the USA This I am sure they could source elsewhere.

The software side is a bigger problem for Huawei as even if they can build a better or similiar OS than android, it will not have all the apps that android has and that has made it successfull.

Also If Google is cutting android from Huawei how long until all google apps are banned, Google maps, Drive, Gmail
Its one thing to make your own processors and OS but will the public want them?
Windows phone was a fully featured - and actually quite good - mobile OS and it died out.

China can force anything it wants on its own people, they have proven that already, the west would be a different story though.
Guess we can only wait to see what happens.
I cant say its a brand I have ever really been interested in though.

Nips

I wonder what impact it could have if China buts a ban on supplying US companies with technology?

Sinbad

Honorary Master
Its one thing to make your own processors and OS but will the public want them?
Windows phone was a fully featured - and actually quite good - mobile OS and it died out.

China can force anything it wants on its own people, they have proven that already, the west would be a different story though.
Guess we can only wait to see what happens.
I cant say its a brand I have ever really been interested in though.
Well the processor seems well accepted (hi silicon kirin)...

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
This could be a could thing long term, Huawei have allot of shady business approaches.
Like what?

All I've seen from them has been exceptional customer service both at the consumer and enterprise/carrier level.

Maybe everyone else is just kak? As has been my experience having absolutely no interest in selling and pushing their product and basically expecting it to do it by itself.

Huawei sells you a core networking device? They almost literally put a Chinese person in the box to go along with it to make sure it works even if they need to sleep in the data centre.

Dolby

Honorary Master
Do Google make money off each handset / license ?

I believe Huawei have close to 500 billion devices there - is this also a financial knock for Google?

dw...

Well the processor seems well accepted (hi silicon kirin)...
Their processors work well, and I think the only google app I would miss (or sideload) would be Maps. I can actually live without Gmail app etc.

As long as other android apps like Cyberflix still work I’m happy to have a forked Huawei OS.