Huawei launches Raspberry Pi competitor – the HiKey 960

Dylan_G

Expert Member
The HiKey 960 has a recommended retail price of $239 and will be available in early May.

Yeah, nah.

Completely different price ranges.

Edit: I really need to stop reading MyBB articles.

Thor

Honorary Master
Competitor lol!

Starting from R3187.50 yea no.

Moby Grape

Honorary Master
Yep, that's an insane price to be comparing it to a Pi, but still, it has it's niche. If you want power, you pay.

access

Honorary Master
epic fail on that price there.

there are other more feature rich "competitors" out there.

crack smokers.

itareanlnotani

Expert Member
As others have said, not a PI competitor, but its not really aimed at that market.

Its a dev board.

Not sure what I would do with it, unless I was dev'ing for that SoC, but has a lot of oomph all the same,8 core - four A73 and four A53 cores, GPU - Mali-G71MP8.

A73 writeup - http://www.anandtech.com/show/10347/arm-cortex-a73-artemis-unveiled

Its a 16nm process (surprising, as most high end SoC's are moving to 12nm or 7nm). I'd guess a newer revision will go to a lower process and it won't need the heatsink.

Guess popularity will depend on the BSP (Board support Package), and if it gets popular.
Way overkill for most of my needs, might be useful for those doing motion video analysis though.

Moby Grape

Honorary Master
$239

Not a competitor. Please find someone who knows about the subject matter to write articles on the products.

It is a competitor. It doesn't have to compete in every space to be a competitor. Price is just one.
If you found a product with 3x the power of the Pi for the same price, would you call it a competitor, or does it have to be identical to the Pi?

Nothing wrong with the article.

konfab

Honorary Master
It is a competitor. It doesn't have to compete in every space to be a competitor. Price is just one.
If you found a product with 3x the power of the Pi for the same price, would you call it a competitor, or does it have to be identical to the Pi?

Nothing wrong with the article.

It isn't a competitor because it appeals to different customers.

Do you think the R33 million rand houses in Camps Bay create competition for RDP houses in Khayelitsha?

system32

Expert Member
HiKey 960 $239 vs Raspberry Pi 3 $35
The competitor costs 6.8x more.

Ninji

Banned
Yeah, nah..

Edit: I really need to stop reading MyBB articles.

Yip... journo doesn't even know there are literally a hundred boards that compete in the so-called Raspberry Pi space.. I should know, I sell the things. Ignorance is bliss, the pursuit of the click is worth the gold in the end.

Moby Grape

Honorary Master
It isn't a competitor because it appeals to different customers.

Do you think the R33 million rand houses in Camps Bay create competition for RDP houses in Khayelitsha?

Now you're being doff lol.
Things can appeal to different customers and still compete - opinions don't make something more or less a competitor. BMW 3 vs Mercedes C. Both compete in the *insert category* sedan class of motor vehicles.
BMW 7 and Mercedes A compete in the motor vehicle class of transport. The category of vehicle is broader, as is the client - clients who buy these two cars are both mostly working class individuals who can afford a car.

They're still competitors. Different / broader categories.

Moby Grape

Honorary Master
Yip... journo doesn't even know there are literally a hundred boards that compete in the so-called Raspberry Pi space.. I should know, I sell the things. Ignorance is bliss, the pursuit of the click is worth the gold in the end.

And why would they have to even know that to write the article that was written?

backstreetboy

Honorary Master
Now you're being doff lol.
Things can appeal to different customers and still compete - opinions don't make something more or less a competitor. BMW 3 vs Mercedes C. Both compete in the *insert category* sedan class of motor vehicles.
BMW 7 and Mercedes A compete in the motor vehicle class of transport. The category of vehicle is broader, as is the client - clients who buy these two cars are both mostly working class individuals who can afford a car.

They're still competitors. Different / broader categories.

https://9to5google.com/2017/04/27/google-huawei-hikey-960-android-development-board/

This is a Android development board showcasing Android at the fastest speeds possible. The Raspberry Pi is neither...

Ninji

Banned
And why would they have to even know that to write the article that was written?

If you want to compare apples with apples, you need to know something about the product you are referring to.

The Raspberry Pi, and other ones like it (remember the RPi spawned a whole bunch of similar, competing products) all target the makerspace, the hobbyist scene, the homebrew media player / compute scene. The HUAWEI product is a brand name product aimed at a different market segment altogether.

RPi and friends: Development boards for electronic engineers/hobbyists/geek coders. Low cost and freely available.
Huawei jobbie: Development boards for PROFESSIONAL uses i.e. R&D and system integrators. The give-away was the connectors on that board. Its using expensive ones and expensive components overall. High cost and aimed at the electronics component supply trade to companies.

Moby Grape

Honorary Master

Ninji

Banned
At least you acknowledge that it's a competitor. Sensible.

By your logic everything is a competitor then.
In the electronics business, a competitor is something that competes on the same level, in the same market segment.
This board's price pushes it into a different market segment, you certainly will not see engineers specify this Huawei board when a RPi/OPi/OLIMEX/etc... will do