Huawei Mate 10 / Pro Review, tips and tricks

Dolby

Honorary Master
When it defaults to the default music app, it starts playing whatever is in it ... So classical.

I feel like James May starting up my Volvo and pulling off to some classic ...

jamescolter

I'm thinking of buying Mate 10 Lite, but I read on the internet the customer service of Huawei isn't good. How about the device itself?

SykomantiS

Expert Member
Question: Has anyone replaced the oem screen protector with tempered glass? If so, what brand did you decide on?
When the original plastic protector picked up a scratch, 'I was told' we should get me a tempered glass protector :p
So my gf got me one from the mtn store, and it sucked, tbh (can't remember the name- will see if I can track it down). Fit wasn't quite nice (it was too narrow for the device, and too short, almost like it was not originally intended for the mate 10 pro but rather rebranded) and it cracked from like within a week or of usage- I'm not even sure why it cracked- I can't remember dropping it or anything. But I guess it did it's job, the screen is still perfect- or not, maybe it just cracked for no reason (probably not).

So this morning Raru delivered the two Body Glove screen protectors I ordered. Much, much better fit. It goes all the way towards the edges of the phone and it's not too narrow like the previous one. It's not 100% perfect though, as the 'cutout' for the Huawei logo isn't perfectly aligned when you align the cutouts at the top to be right where they should be for the camera and speaker, but it's way, way better in the fitment department than the previous tempered glass protector. The black bars that are now more prominent is also something to get used to, and I must be honest that the optical transparency isn't quite 100%- one can make out a grid of very small dots on the screen that is part of one of the layers of the screen protector. But all in all, much more happy with the Body Glove protectors (I bough two, because as with almost every other delicate thing in life, I'm apparently a rough/heavy user...) as opposed the previous crappy one.

Last edited:

Dolby

Honorary Master
I'm thinking of buying Mate 10 Lite, but I read on the internet the customer service of Huawei isn't good
I've just taken my P9 in this morning, so I'll let you know shortly. My two issues :

1) Battery was horrible ... it started alright, but within 12 months deteriorated to such as extend I couldn't really use it. A clean format with NOTHING running (ie just standby) would take me 10hrs. That's no apps / no Bluetooth, no calls / no using it at all. Then, when it died, it'd restart at 15% when plugged in. And there were other times it'd freeze at 15-20% ... and when I plug it in to get power, it'd be 1%. Basically, screwed.

2) The screen (https://mybroadband.co.za/vb/showthread.php/928866-P9-Oleophobic-coating) went like this eventually. Never seen a chemical or anything abrasive or anything, but the coating (I assume) just came off. I'm not actually sure what it is.

But - to their credit - when I was going to buy a new charger / cable to check the battery, Huawei PM'd me and said I could collect one at their offices to test, as they didn't want me incurring additional costs. I thought as far as manufactures go, that was pretty good of them

Dolby

Honorary Master
about the device itself?
Device is really good. There are a few niggles (ie every morning when I Bluetooth to my car, it selects the default app instead of my music). Battery is phenomenal and the camera is (I think) 2nd best still camera in a smartphone. Phone is quick and fluid, although there I've had a few crashes.

On the whole, cannot really fault it

Last edited:

Dolby

Honorary Master
but I read on the internet the customer service of Huawei isn't good.
As mentioned in another thread, I've just made use of their service and it's actually fantastic. No questions asked about any issues and replaced everything (and more) that was required.

Quite a difference to some other manufacturers

Mimen

Super chargers are geeqy newspapers for your battery

Luckily super chargers are a good thing. Ohibe and charger "talks" to each other via a built in chip. Name of the chip escapes me now I've done extensive reading on it as the same thing worried me. It turns out that the chip inside means your battery cannot overcharge as it cuts out the charging when done. It also means, depending on the phone, that it is able to charge much faster than other phones until the battery reaches a 50 percent charge

So with my old phones, I would put them on charge before bed and disconnect in the morning. But I have heard before that you shouldn't leave a phone on the charger once it hits 100%. So with these new advanced super chargers would it be a very bad idea to charge them overnight?

Mimen

I've had my P10 since December. Unfortunately I did not take the box with me on holiday, the day after I got it, as I started having problems with the camera and having to reset to default the whole timer. I was worried as you have 7 days to do a swapping out and I came back to Johannesburg 18 days or so later. To my relieve MTN swapped it out for me without a hitch. Apparently, not sure though, Huawei has a 6 month swap out policy on it.
I love the frigging camera. When you take photos of a plate of food, I love cooking, it shows a little knife and fork icon and adjust the colours automatically so the food gets some colour. Usually food pics come out very bleak.
It picks up sky pictures, faces etc.

It can do light painting, slow mo, wide aperture which shocked me by making the back less focused and the face so clear. I looked like a pro. The portrait mode smoothes out skone tone and makes me look great on a selfie and others happy with their photos I take of them.
You can also focus on and track a moving object which I still have to try.
I love the smart assistant settings like the ring volume going lower when you pick up the phone, answer just by raising the phone to my ear etc.
Your can also wake up the phone with a spoken phrase and ask "where are you" This makes it wring with a little voice going, I am here. Sounds giod but I'm battling to get it to work.

My jury is out on the battery life though. It lastsrme from 7 am, usually to about 7pm and then shuts down on me.
When I used the ultra power saving mode in an emergency the battery lasted way past the time I needed. I switched off all except calls and SMS.. O did see however that you can set it to keep a few apps awake like Facebook, WhatsApp etc. I didn't try it though as I was in a restaurant and wanted to be able to make a call at night on my way home.

It is a great piece of tech and I can say much more. If you need help with it just ask. I know it pretty well by now.

Mimen

Pro 10 is a great piece of tech, my view

]I've had my P10 since December. Unfortunately I did not take the box with me on holiday, the day after I got it, as I started having problems with the camera and having to reset to default the whole timer. I was worried as you have 7 days to do a swapping out and I came back to Johannesburg 18 days or so later. To my relieve MTN swapped it out for me without a hitch. Apparently, not sure though, Huawei has a 6 month swap out policy on it.
I love the frigging camera. When you take photos of a plate of food, I love cooking, it shows a little knife and fork icon and adjust the colours automatically so the food gets some colour. Usually food pics come out very bleak.
It does the same for plants, the sky, faces etc.

It can do light painting, slow mo, wide aperture and which shocked me, by making the back less focused and the object in front so clear. I looked like a pro. The portrait mode smoothes out skin rone and makes me look great on a selfie and others happy with their photos I take of them.
You can also focus on and track a moving object which I still have to try.

I love the smart assistant settings like the ring volume going lower when you pick up the phone, answer just by raising the phone to my ear etc.
Your can also wake up the phone with a spoken phrase and ask "where are you" This makes it ring with a little voice going, I am here.

Sounds giod but I'm battling to get it to work.

My jury is out on the battery life though. It lasts from 7 am, usually to about 7pm and then shuts down on me.

When I used the ultra power saving mode in an emergency the battery lasted way past the time I needed. I switched off all except calls and SMS.. I did see however that you can set it to keep a few apps awake like Facebook, WhatsApp etc.
I didn't try it though as I was in a restaurant and wanted to be able to make a call at night on my way home.

It is a great piece of tech and I can say much more. If you need help with it just ask. I know it pretty well by now.

Dolby

Honorary Master
You know what I find odd ?

My P9 has a 'flash' on the screen when taking selfies but the Mate 10 Pro doesn't ?