Huawei Mate 10 / Pro Review, tips and tricks

AirWolf

Honorary Master
So, question / observation.

I've noticed for a while now, that during a call, I have no internet connection. Sim one is my default calling sim, and sim 2 is my data sim. I've checked my settings for things such as dual Sim 4G and internet access during calls and so forth, but it doesn't seem to work. Anyone else having a similar issue?

A really irritating example would be that Truecaller cannot resolve an incoming number due to this.
How often to you restart?

Dolby

Honorary Master
Nope - where and what ?

I've generally avoid those due to bricking and technical knowledge needed

Old_Liver

Nope - where and what ?

I've generally avoid those due to bricking and technical knowledge needed
An app called Huawei Firmware Finder on the play store. I've used it a few times in the past with the DNS server feature and it updated just fine. Check the firmware access approval on the app before you install it.

Here is a good tutorial

Dolby

Honorary Master

SykomantiS

Expert Member
You guys with the GPU Turbo update - do you have 960fps slo mo ?
Or only the GPU + EMUI 8.1 gives this?

https://www.gizmochina.com/2018/06/13/huawei-announces-devices-getting-gpu-turbo-mate-10-to-get-960fps-slow-motion-too/

Huawei also announced some new features coming to the Mate 10. First, the Mate 10 series will support cloud computing starting June 26. It will then receive the EMUI 8.1 update in mid-July which will bring 960fps slow-motion recording.
Interesting. Will have a look. I can say though, I'm not really much impressed as far as playing Pokémon GO goes. There's still some (very little) visual stuttering sometimes- and as far as I can tell it's the same as before (it may even be worse- or it's just me noticing it now because I'm actively looking for it since the update)

Edit: still only 240fps @ 720p

Dolby

Honorary Master
... and I'm not a gamer :/

But the issue for me is I cannot get remote access to my irrigation system on my phone. Yes someone else with another Mate 10 on another network (Ie software), can get it. I'm hoping that with different software, something works

Tcyte

What is the GPU Turbo update?

It's a software update that will be pushed over-the-air to your Huawei or Honor smartphone, with the purpose of enhancing performance and optimizing your gaming experience.
The GPU Turbo update provides a dramatic increase in graphics processing power, and boosts average frame rate to the fullest possible rate.

How do I turn GPU Turbo on?

You don't, it's 'always on’, but will only come into play when a graphically demanding game is launched.
There's no visible icon or on-screen clue to tell you that GPU Turbo is working, you just have to trust that it's working.

What games does GPU Turbo work with?

There's no set list of games that GPU Turbo enhances, with a Honor spokesperson telling us "GPU Turbo will benefit users who play mobile games that demand high graphics processing efficiency."
However, we know it does work with PUBG (PlayerUnknown’s Battlegrounds) and we're told "you may also notice the improvement of frame rate and FPS on other games like Asphalt 9, Arena of Valor, Mobile Legend, etc."
Tests conducted by XDA Developers and GSM Arena show that the GPU Turbo update running on the Honor 10 while playing PUBG and Mobile Legends did result in a higher, more consistent frame rate and some better battery efficiency - which is good news.

How do I get the GPU Turbo update?

First you'll need a compatible handset (see the section below), and then you'll need to check for the latest software.
The software update tool can be found in Settings and the GPU Turbo feature will be listed in the change log for the update.

Some handsets have already received the update, while others will be getting the GPU Turbo update in the coming weeks and months.

Dolby

Honorary Master
Anyone here running a Mate 10 Pro on Vodacom specifically ?

We're trying to narrow an issue that I'm having where I cannot remote into my controller. I've tried it on a Mate 10 Pro and P20Pro (on other networks) - and they work. I'm running the same FW at the Mate 10 Pro I tested ... still fails.

I'd like to test on another Mate 10 Pro with Vodacom, please

jman

Expert Member
Late to the party, but just got my hands on a Mate 10 Pro a couple days ago because Telkom have it on Freeme 1Gb for R350 per month. And my old S7's screen had cracked. Awesome phone so far

AirWolf

Honorary Master
Late to the party, but just got my hands on a Mate 10 Pro a couple days ago because Telkom have it on Freeme 1Gb for R350 per month. And my old S7's screen had cracked. Awesome phone so far
Price had really dropped with latest version about to be launched.