Huawei Mate 10 / Pro Review, tips and tricks

jman

Expert Member
Price had really dropped with latest version about to be launched.
Yep, even cheaper than a Nokia 7 plus. Don't mind having the older version - this phone has all I need, a great camera and awesome battery life

SykomantiS

Expert Member
So yesterday I saw there is an open project on the Huawei beta app, for EMUI 9 beta. I joined, but nothing seems to be happening. No HOTA update as described on their website and no system update.

jman

Expert Member
After a couple days with my Mate 10 Pro, I'm really impressed. Battery life is the best I've had on a phone - that 4000mah just doesn't die! The camera has been really impressive. It's also a really quick phone.

Though it only has a 1080p screen, I really can't make out and pixels in normal use.

Hopefully we'll get Pie soon and that brings a couple improvements around expanding notifications on the lock screen - that's a little annoying. Also I'm hoping the new Pie gestures are brought over.

Looking forward to what the mate 20 / Pro will deliver. I believe it'll be out this month sometime. Anyone thinking of taking the plunge over the Note 9?

SykomantiS

Expert Member
Nope. I'll probably keep my phone another year (got mine in December, paid cash). Or, and the chances of this happening would basically be nothing, I'll go back to Nexus/Pixel- but they have become exorbitantly expensive- that is over and above the schlep of importing one.

I'm hoping for either the beta project to finally kick in, or the upgrade to Pie- which ever happens first.

JJRM

So decided to settle on 2 Mate 10 Pros for my wife and I. Hopefully will get our hands on it tomorrow. Is the version through MTN the 64GB version? Definitely dual SIM?

SykomantiS

Expert Member
Don't you think you should kind of confirm the specs before you buy?
And I'm not sure, tbh. I bought from a Telkom store, not MTN.

ronz91

Expert Member
So decided to settle on 2 Mate 10 Pros for my wife and I. Hopefully will get our hands on it tomorrow. Is the version through MTN the 64GB version? Definitely dual SIM?
Highly doubt dual sim, MTN does not do dual sim

JJRM

Don't you think you should kind of confirm the specs before you buy?
And I'm not sure, tbh. I bought from a Telkom store, not MTN.
Yup I should have. But not too late if not. Will post confirmation tomorrow.

jman

Expert Member
It'll be 128Gb and not dual sim if MTN

jman

Expert Member
Nope. I'll probably keep my phone another year (got mine in December, paid cash). Or, and the chances of this happening would basically be nothing, I'll go back to Nexus/Pixel- but they have become exorbitantly expensive- that is over and above the schlep of importing one.

I'm hoping for either the beta project to finally kick in, or the upgrade to Pie- which ever happens first.
Yep this phone should last a while given it's big battery and AI that will supposedly keep it fast (that will be seen after a year or two)

SykomantiS

Expert Member
Head over to Telkom or Cell C for a dual sim, if you're going to find one, that's where it'll be.

jman

Expert Member
Yep dual sim. I think from the beginning of this month. Not sure if it's on indefinitely, but I think it's them trying to get rid of stock in anticipation of the Mate 20 Pro

SykomantiS

Expert Member
are you over the bluetooth audio issues now??
Most of it is fixed, but not all. Every now and then the phone will still randomly switch playback from the car to its own speakers, or whilst using android auto and a notification comes through, sound will be routed to one of the car speakers only fot some odd reason, and it sounds very miffled and as if playing far away. Pausing and resuming playback fixes this, and also, it happens a lot less than it used to. It used to be a daily occurrence where now it's not.

The issues regarding Google Play Music not working on android has been sorted 100% as far as I can tell. And stock dialer also now works much better than it used to, it's not perfect yet, but it's acceptable.

So overall, mostly yes. I can live with the phone now without feeling that I want to donate it to someone next to the side of the road ar 80km/h.

I'm hoping Android Pie will bring more stability and fixes, even though I know that's not what they were focusing on.

ronz91

Expert Member
Most of it is fixed, but not all. Every now and then the phone will still randomly switch playback from the car to its own speakers, or whilst using android auto and a notification comes through, sound will be routed to one of the car speakers only fot some odd reason, and it sounds very miffled and as if playing far away. Pausing and resuming playback fixes this, and also, it happens a lot less than it used to. It used to be a daily occurrence where now it's not.

The issues regarding Google Play Music not working on android has been sorted 100% as far as I can tell. And stock dialer also now works much better than it used to, it's not perfect yet, but it's acceptable.

So overall, mostly yes. I can live with the phone now without feeling that I want to donate it to someone next to the side of the road ar 80km/h.

I'm hoping Android Pie will bring more stability and fixes, even though I know that's not what they were focusing on.
man I am so conflicted, currently have a Moto X Style and I enjoy stock Android but I know the Mate 10 Pro is definitely gonna be an upgrade in battery life, camera & performance should will be killer. But the OS is my doubt.

Nowadays I use my phone mostly for WhatsApp, Podcasts, RSS reader and browsing the web. I still wanna be able to take good pics/video and I really like dual-sim. My headphone jack on my Moto has gotten loose so I use bluetooth earphones already when not streaming to my car radio or just using the phone speaker.

@ts

As far as stock Android, I really like the clean and minimalist look. I also feel like since the OEM does not have to fiddle with Android much when its stock as opposed to skinned, that there will be far fewer bugs and performance drops over time.

I will edit and add if I think of anything else. Any thoughts or opinions that might help me? Thanks:thumbsup:

@AirWolf @Tsepz_011 @hawker @jman

Last edited: