Huawei Mate 10 / Pro Review, tips and tricks

jman

Expert Member
man I am so conflicted, currently have a Moto X Style and I enjoy stock Android but I know the Mate 10 Pro is definitely gonna be an upgrade in battery life, camera & performance should will be killer. But the OS is my doubt.
I'd suggest you ask someone with a Huawei to check it out. There are a few things in EMUI I'd like improved - like expanding notifications on the lock screen. If aesthetics is an issue, just put Nova launcher on it, that's what I'm using.

But overall, it's a very solid phone and I'm enjoying it thoroughly. Why not wait for the Mate 20 Pro which is coming out soon. Unless you want a phone at a good price, which would make sense you're looking at the Mate 10 Pro

ronz91

Expert Member
I'd suggest you ask someone with a Huawei to check it out. There are a few things in EMUI I'd like improved - like expanding notifications on the lock screen. If aesthetics is an issue, just put Nova launcher on it, that's what I'm using.

But overall, it's a very solid phone and I'm enjoying it thoroughly. Why not wait for the Mate 20 Pro which is coming out soon. Unless you want a phone at a good price, which would make sense you're looking at the Mate 10 Pro
Yeah the price is tempting. Honestly I would want a stock android dual sim with hardware similar to the Mate 10 Pro. But all those would be import/cash, and I dont want to shell out like 10k, I would prefer to spread it out via contract.

jman

Expert Member
Yeah the price is tempting. Honestly I would want a stock android dual sim with hardware similar to the Mate 10 Pro. But all those would be import/cash, and I dont want to shell out like 10k, I would prefer to spread it out via contract.
The Oneplus 6 has a near stock set up. But needs to be imported or bought from someone secondhand. Otherwise, there is the Nokia 8 scirocco, which has stock Android with flagship specs (or the 7 plus, albeit with slightly lower specs) . And I think you can get one on contract.

It all comes down to personal preference though, so give someone's Huawei a try to see if you're happy with the skin.

Like I said, I've got Nova launcher installed and I'm very happy. And I was sceptical at first of the software.

leontjie

you guys see the mate 10 pro is for R289 at MTN ion october! i was on midrange budget, but getting a flagship instead, Same CPU and GPu as the p20 which is R550? not sure what the catch is?

SykomantiS

Expert Member
Old stock. Last year's flag ship. Only catch really. (That and the fact that it's probably not the dual sim 128GB version)

leontjie

still good deal i reckon for R289 if you compare it to what else you can get for R300 range! not out of date cpu yet. still gonna get android 9 Pie, all the amoled screen all the AI duaal camera, MTN booklet states its the 128gb version, but sales person state its 64gb so will have to see.

AirWolf

Honorary Master
still good deal i reckon for R289 if you compare it to what else you can get for R300 range! not out of date cpu yet. still gonna get android 9 Pie, all the amoled screen all the AI duaal camera, MTN booklet states its the 128gb version, but sales person state its 64gb so will have to see.
It's MTN so anything is possible.

R289 is still a great price for the hardware either way.

Dolby

Honorary Master
For the price, you can't go wrong ... as you say it's the same CPU / memory / GPU as the flagship P20 Pro.

xeslaro

Expert Member
Now that's an excellent deal IMHO.

Tsepz_011

Expert Member
man I am so conflicted, currently have a Moto X Style and I enjoy stock Android but I know the Mate 10 Pro is definitely gonna be an upgrade in battery life, camera & performance should will be killer. But the OS is my doubt.

Nowadays I use my phone mostly for WhatsApp, Podcasts, RSS reader and browsing the web. I still wanna be able to take good pics/video and I really like dual-sim. My headphone jack on my Moto has gotten loose so I use bluetooth earphones already when not streaming to my car radio or just using the phone speaker.

@ts

As far as stock Android, I really like the clean and minimalist look. I also feel like since the OEM does not have to fiddle with Android much when its stock as opposed to skinned, that there will be far fewer bugs and performance drops over time.

I will edit and add if I think of anything else. Any thoughts or opinions that might help me? Thanks

@AirWolf @Tsepz_011 @hawker @jman
I absolutely loved the Mate 10 Pro, had it for about 3 months and on a daily basis I was blown away by the battery life, Camera quality and most importantly the Signal Quality, which seems to be a major strength of Huawei devices in general, it kept 4G LTE in places where my Note8 would drop to 3.5G.

I would say give it a go, as at this price point it's probably the best phone around. Yes EMUI does take some getting used to, but the nice thing is that it allows tweaking things you otherwise wouldn't be able to in Stock ANDROID. EMUI is also very fast, there doesn't seem to be any slowing down with it.

I am now using the Mate 20 Lite, and again, Battery Life and Signal Quality is superb.

Last edited:

AirWolf

Honorary Master
I absolutely loved the Mate 10 Pro, had it for about 3 months and on a daily basis I was blown away by the battery life, Camera quality and most importantly the Signal Quality, which seems to be a major strength of Huawei devices in general, it kept 4G LTE in places where my Note8 would drop to 3.5G.

I would say give it a go, as at this price point it's probably the best phone around. Yes EMUI does take some getting used to, but the nice thing is that it allows tweaking things you otherwise wouldn't be able to in Stock ANDROID. EMUI is also very fast, there doesn't seem to be any slowing down with it.

I am now using the Mate 20 Lite, and again, Battery Life and Signal Quality is superb.
Does offer the option to choose app drawer (like other Android devices) or the default apps on home screens (like iPhone), so you can choose whatever suits you.

Dolby

Honorary Master
Does offer the option to choose app drawer (like other Android devices) or the default apps on home screens (like iPhone), so you can choose whatever suits you.
Don't all the Huaweis have an app drawer now?

SykomantiS

Expert Member
So yesterday I saw there is an open project on the Huawei beta app, for EMUI 9 beta. I joined, but nothing seems to be happening. No HOTA update as described on their website and no system update.
@Huawei - beta program still isn't doing anything, project description just stays on Signed. A little help here, please?