Huawei Mate 10 / Rainbird Smart Controller

Dolby

Honorary Master
So I got one of these Rain Bird controllers a few weeks that connects to WiFi and get's weather information. It is controlled via a smartphone app, which I downloaded onto both my Huawei Mate 10 Pro and Huawei P9. When I'm on the LAN (ie connected to the same network as my controller), it works almost 100% of the time - which is great.

When I'm not on the LAN (ie work), it connects to the controller ONCE (but won't break out to get the weather) - and once only. In other words, trying to to go back in gives me a Network Communication error. If I leave the phone for an hour and try, it get once again get's in (no weather) - but thereafter nothing. It's almost like a waiting period.

I though this was the controller and been on the line to Rain Bird for a week, until he asked for my config and invite to control my system. He has NO issue getting on countless times and it worked. I then decided to ask my brother (iPhone) and a good friend (Android) and both them had no issue getting in and controlling my system.

This means it must be the phone itself.

Anyone here have the app at all and maybe use it on any phone (and Huawei?)
Any ideas at all what could cause Huawei to be incompatible ?

Neo17

What network operate are you using, which Rain Bird Controller model are you using and where do they sell these controllers. I will go test the relevant controller on my P20 Pro and Mate 10 Pro and revert with feedback :)

sajunky

Honorary Master
I have an idea. Take a SIM from your bro and put it in one these phones. Do it work? If doesn't, check for any proxies setup or VPN on your phones. Backup one phone, perform hardware reset and try again.

Dolby

Honorary Master
What network operate are you using, which Rain Bird Controller model are you using and where do they sell these controllers. I will go test the relevant controller on my P20 Pro and Mate 10 Pro and revert with feedback :)

Fantastic - I may actually be able to send you an invite on mine this evening into my controller? The P20Pro is something I really want, but I'd be concerned that this issue affects that as well so would be keen on seeing if Android 8.1 does it.

WiFi module : https://www.rainbird.com/products/lnk-wifi-module
Controller : https://www.rainbird.fr/produits/controllers/esp-rzxe-series-controller

Most irrigation companies or Rainbird suppliers can install them. They're pretty cool - I added a rain sensor to mine as well. Basically you set it to water the zone at the hottest and driest time of year (ie 10 minutes in July) and it automatically adjusts that lower each day depending on the weather / temperature humidity. If it rains and the sensor picks it up, it stops all watering all together. Integrates with Amazon Alexa too.

In the beginning I thought it was a heap of junk, but now I realize there is some other issue (most likely with Huwaei).

Dolby

Honorary Master
I have an idea. Take a SIM from your bro and put it in one these phones. Do it work? If doesn't, check for any proxies setup or VPN on your phones. Backup one phone, perform hardware reset and try again.

Good point - The P9 is spare, so I can format that totally and try get hold of him on the weekend. Though, something tells me it's the phone itself :( and I can't work out why. I had to eat humble pie when the Rainbird support showed me it did work ... and then I saw on other devices too.

Dolby

Honorary Master
So an update :

Huawei P9 (Android 7.0) Vodacom - failed
Huawei Mate 10 Pro (Android 8.0) Vodacom - failed
Huawei P20 Pro (Android 8.1) Cell C - passed
Samsung S9 (Android 8.0) - passed
iPhone (Vodacom) - passed
iPhone (US Network) - passed
Xiaomi Mi 5 (Android 8.0) - passed

I've connected my Mate 10 Pro via a friends hotspot (Cell C) - still fails
I've tried to get another Mate 10 Pro, but it won't seem to install the config (says expired) - also fails

It seems there may be an issue with Mate 10 Pro and this Rainbird ...

Dolby

Honorary Master
Update

So, thanks to everyone (random MyBB strangers and Huawei) that has assisted me on this issue. It really annoyed me that I bought a R15,000 irrigation system and I couldn't log on or view the status.

The issue is definitely the Vodacom network (possibly in conjunction with Android). Aside from the phones listed above, I've tried on the latest Mate 20 Pro (Android 9.0 and non branded FW) - and I still had the issue. I decided to purchase a Telkom SIM over the weekend and ... perfect! I've tried over and over and the Telkom SIM works flawlessly. I swap back to the Vodacom SIM and everything crashes again.

So, I've decided to drop my Vodacom contract for any data and use Telkom going forward

Tcyte

Update

So, thanks to everyone (random MyBB strangers and Huawei) that has assisted me on this issue. It really annoyed me that I bought a R15,000 irrigation system and I couldn't log on or view the status.

The issue is definitely the Vodacom network (possibly in conjunction with Android). Aside from the phones listed above, I've tried on the latest Mate 20 Pro (Android 9.0 and non branded FW) - and I still had the issue. I decided to purchase a Telkom SIM over the weekend and ... perfect! I've tried over and over and the Telkom SIM works flawlessly. I swap back to the Vodacom SIM and everything crashes again.

So, I've decided to drop my Vodacom contract for any data and use Telkom going forward[
That's great! but is the Mate20 pro available yet?

Tsepz_GP

Expert Member
Update

So, I've decided to drop my Vodacom contract for any data and use Telkom going forward
That is brilliant. Glad you managed to get to the bottom of it!