Huawei MateBook D 14

rubber_otter

Expert Member
Huawei have released two new Ryzen based laptops to the South African market. The Matebook D14 being one of them.

Design:
First things first. I was skeptical. Having researched the device beforehand, I realized that every other tom dick and harry was comparing this laptop to a MacBook. Why was this? Well, unboxing the laptop, while it being a straightforward cardboard box with foam padding, that is where the mediocrity ended.

1597651125033.png

The laptop itself is cool to the touch, and very rigid. Comprised of brushed aluminium chassis, it has a highly premium feel. Corners are well rounded, and build quality is of the highest standard. While the screen hinge is stiff, and you would need two hands to fully open the laptop, there is zero screen wobble when working. The webcam… Urgh, the webcam. It is situated between the F6 and F7 keys and is recessed. A press of the button and a little digglet looking camera pops up. And let me tell you, the person on the other side of the Zoom call is gonna start calling you Jabba the Hutt because of all your chins. That, and they are going to see giant fingers flying across their screen as you type.

1597651150258.png

The keyboard layout is nice and clean. Buttons are large, but the travel is a bit too short for my liking. It will take some getting used to, but that is the case with most new laptops.

The trackpad is huge and is a dream to work with. Driven by Windows Precision Drivers, gestures make daily tasks easier. Of course, a mouse would be better, but this is a travel laptop. You will be using it on the go. A usable trackpad will do you many, many favours in the long run.

1597651277334.png 1597651287699.png

Opening the laptop up proved to be problematic for me, as my toolkit was nowhere to be found, and Huawei opted in to use Torx T5 screws. Nevertheless, a quick google search shows the huge thermal solution that has been implemented. Keeping the laptop cool under large workloads is critical, especially on an Ultrabook like this one. The aluminium chassis also helps with the dissipation of heat, and the work surface only gets warm to the touch under load.

The 256GB NVME SSD and 8GB of RAM, paired with a FullHD IPS display and an AMD Ryzen 5 3500U makes for an overall great experience. Packing a 56Wh battery, running it during your load-shedding time period will be easy under medium workload. And paired with a 65W fast charger, charging it up will be very fast.

Additionally, equipped with Huawei Share, a single tap on the laptop can connect your Huawei device to the laptop. You can then easily share images, videos and documents between your phone and your laptop. Even controlling your phone from the laptop is possible.

My limited time with the device was pleasant. Other than the webcam placement, I think this laptop will appeal to many people.

The Huawei MateBook D14 and D15 are available at Huaweistore.co.za for R13,499.00

1597651319863.png

1597651345502.png

ThaGombami

Wow looks great out of the box glad you ddnt find your toolskit soon enough. Looks like a decent laptop and i see Huawei is giving mouse and backpack with your purchase. Is it running on Windows and is it pre installed on the device ?

rubber_otter

Expert Member
Wow looks great out of the box glad you ddnt find your toolskit soon enough. Looks like a decent laptop and i see Huawei is giving mouse and backpack with your purchase. Is it running on Windows and is it pre installed on the device ?

Yes, Win10 is installed. Free mouse and backpack if you order from the Huawei store.

FiestaST

Honorary Master

airborne

Honorary Master
That track pad looks epic how does it compare to a MacBook Trackpad?