Huawei P10 and Vitality Drive

Dolby

Honorary Master
Hi,

I recommended this phone to a friend and her Discovery Drive is not working.

The call center confirmed the phone is incompatible with the app.

Anyone here using a P10 or newer, and have Discovery Drive ?

modern10

Expert Member
Hi,

I recommended this phone to a friend and her Discovery Drive is not working.

The call center confirmed the phone is incompatible with the app.

Anyone here using a P10 or newer, and have Discovery Drive ?
I have a P9 and can confirm that your friend will have to live without the app unfortunately.

Dolby

Honorary Master
I have a P9 and can confirm that your friend will have to live without the app unfortunately.
What is the issue though ?
Did they tell you?

My first thought was that Discovery was BSing because I cannot understand the reasoning :/

modern10

Expert Member
What is the issue though ?
Did they tell you?

My first thought was that Discovery was BSing because I cannot understand the reasoning :/
When I spoke to them they initially just said that my specific model wasn't compatible. Tried asking them if they can't sort this out with an update. They just said it wasn't possible.

Dolby

Honorary Master
When I spoke to them they initially just said that my specific model wasn't compatible. Tried asking them if they can't sort this out with an update. They just said it wasn't possible.
That sucks ...

Somehow I think this will be her first and last Huawei

Dolby

Honorary Master
Have you spoken to the Huawei Rep to hear their side of the story?
Of course ...

But these things take a bit of time to investigate and try sort it out. In the interim, I wanted to find another case of Huawei / Drive

Dolby

Honorary Master
What happens when you sideload the app?
I don't have it ...

And the owner is a girl that doesn't really do those things. She just bought (on my recommendation) the Huawei and was looking at returning it, as this was one the biggest things for her. They told her it didn't have a gyoscope

curbs2012

Expert Member
Have the p10 lite and contacted discovery regarding the compatibility...

This was the reply.

Thank you for contacting us.
Problems with Bluetooth connections have been widely reported with the Huawei P9, P9 Lite. P10, P10 Lite The problem seems to be a combination of a weak antenna that frequently loses connections (and sometimes stops working entirely), and an operating system that does not try to automatically reconnect when a connection is dropped. This combination makes it unsuitable for use with applications like the Discovery Insure Driving app which need a consistent background Bluetooth connection.

Reviewers such as this one describe using workarounds - turning Bluetooth off and on when he needs to use a Bluetooth-enabled app. Our own testing supports that - for some P9, P9 Lite. P10, P10 Lite if the owner is willing to turn Bluetooth off and on before every drive, and in the middle of long drives, then it will usually work, most of the time. For others, it simply doesn't work at all due to antenna failure. A phone that in the best case requires vigilant monitoring in order to work "most of the time" is not compatible with the Discovery Insure Driving app that runs smoothly and seamlessly without needing the user to do anything if the required elements are enabled.

Dolby

Honorary Master
The Fitbit charge 2 also had a problem with the p9 lite's Bluetooth connection.
I haven't picked up anything the P9 Bluetooth though - unless it's purely the combination of Huawei <> Fitbit / Discovery ?
What makes it fishy sounding to me though, it that sometimes they blame gyroscope and other times the Bluetooth :/

sajunky

Honorary Master
Agressive power sawing is a reason. The app should be aware of and adjust behaviour accordingly to the latest Android guidelines. Some developers go easy way and blame all others.

Last edited: