Huawei P10 brightness problem, will I have to replace the screen?

JuliusSeizure

Expert Member
My two year old Huawei P10 dims when in sunlight and I can barely see it. I've disabled auto-brightness and turned the brightness to full but it still happens. It becomes really annoying when in the car or when I need to take an image in sunlight as I can barely see anything.

Has anyone else experienced it or is it a hardware issue on my side? I was hoping it was a software issue but I've so far tried a soft reset and downloaded a few brightness aid applications but they haven't done much. Could hard resetting help? But I only want to do that as a last resort due to the admin involved.

If I have to repair it, I was thinking of taking it to a Pakistani guy as they are all quoting prices between R700-R800 and I have no plans to sell the phone off. My plan was to use it until it's unusable.

PS: The screen is not cracked, it does have a very minor crack on the bottom end which is near the fingerprint scanner and not even noticeable as it is off the display. The phone has been dropped several times though.

Last edited:

Louis72

Expert Member
My two year old Huawei P10 dims when in sunlight and I can barely see it. I've disabled auto-brightness and turned the brightness to full but it still happens. It becomes really annoying when in the car or when I need to take an image in sunlight as I can barely see anything.

Has anyone else experienced it or is it a hardware issue on my side? I was hoping it was a software issue but I've so far tried a soft reset and downloaded a few brightness aid applications but they haven't done much. Could hard resetting help? But I only want to do that as a last resort due to the admin involved.

If I have to repair it, I was thinking of taking it to a Pakistani guy as they are all quoting prices between R700-R800 and I have no plans to sell the phone off. My plan was to use it until it's unusable.

PS: The screen is not cracked, it does have a very minor crack on the bottom end which is near the fingerprint scanner and not even noticeable as it is off the display. The phone has been dropped several times though.
Is it not just dimming because it is too hot? Noticed that when my iPhone heats up in direct sun the screen will dim even if max brightness is set.

If it gets way way too hot then the phone will be disabled with a message that it needs to cool down first.

JuliusSeizure

Expert Member
Is it not just dimming because it is too hot? Noticed that when my iPhone heats up in direct sun the screen will dim even if max brightness is set.

If it gets way way too hot then the phone will be disabled with a message that it needs to cool down first.

No, it's dim as soon as I go into sunlight. It is viewable but I struggle. I'd not be able to use it as a GPS navigator during the day now.

Lifeofagambler

Dont take it to the Pakistani's if you are planning to keep it. Huawei is currently running a summer promotion on screen replacements. Rather get the real deal and the peace of mind of a warranty after repair.

JuliusSeizure

Expert Member
Dont take it to the Pakistani's if you are planning to keep it. Huawei is currently running a summer promotion on screen replacements. Rather get the real deal and the peace of mind of a warranty after repair.

Thanks. Is there any particular reason why I should avoid the Pakistani guys for this kind of thing? I have hired them to replace broken charging ports in the past and they did a good job on that.